• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

No dub means no buy.

I was just thinking about this...how well would a kickstarter thing work to get anime dubbed that would otherwise be sub only?

I wonder if there are enough dub fans, just in the US, that can help with the cost of producing a dub.

Last edited by superdry on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't have to have a dub for me to enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS

Except your not the only anime fan alive.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
not to mention that nearly every dub now days is unbearable. Especially if you've heard the Japanese audio. A lot of current VAs don't seem to have the ability to portray the characters properly.

Oh jesus the weeaboos are already coming out of the woodwork how many of you people exist.

I have this video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

now you have to make me bring this up this old meme
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS

Neither are you. The japanese dub is good, and you can still understand the series in japanese with subs
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS

Neither are you. The japanese dub is good, and you can still understand the series in japanese with subs

Yes, I could. But, am I not entitled to at least wishing that this had a dub, even though I know it won't?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Another anime licensed by NIS America... That means I'll have to shell out at least $50 for it from RightStuf. :/
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yes, I could. But, am I not entitled to at least wishing that this had a dub, even though I know it won't?

Yes you are entitled to wish for a dub. But are you entitled to be a massive douchebag about it? I don't think so.

You have decided that no dub = no sale. That is your prerogative as a consumer. But don't blame NISA for not dubbing this and don't mock the fans who just want to watch the show and don't care which language they have to listen to in order to do that.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS

yeah you are every-one is entitled to want to something however it's that level of being selfish "not you the other posters are showing off". I already have a feeling there will be high chance this will be on c.r. streams for usa and canada only due to working season one and other nisa titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS

CONGRATULATIONS

That's a blatantly false dilemma. You're totally free to wish it had a dub. I wish NISA shows had dubs as well. That's not the same thing as demanding a dub, refusing to buy it without one, or wishing NISA would die. Sometimes dubs just aren't feasible. Go ahead and wish that wasn't the case but don't blame NISA for it being the case.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Can't we all just get along?....

Oh yeah, I forgot how opinionated as hell people are, and if you don't agree with what someone says, you're automatically wrong.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That's a blatantly false dilemma. You're totally free to wish it had a dub. I wish NISA shows had dubs as well. That's not the same thing as demanding a dub, refusing to buy it without one, or wishing NISA would die. Sometimes dubs just aren't feasible. Go ahead and wish that wasn't the case but don't blame NISA for it being the case.

Precisely. Not every show is going to benefit enough financially from a dub to recoup the dubbing costs. And I certainly don't wish NISA to die, the Anime market needs a company like them that will pick up the niche titles that the other companies don't have time for.
TD912

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
In before the trolls come to randomly diss Funi/NIS/Sentai/whoever. Oh wait...

I don't understand why there are so many negative comments.

If Funimation licenses, it, there's a bunch of comments about "Oh great, wasting money on a horrible English dub."

If Sentai licenses it, there's "Oh great, it's going to be a cheapo release with no special extras, and it's going to take forever."

Now NIS licenses it, and there's "I don't like how they manage their video game division. And there's no dub!"

And then there's the people who complain without even giving any reasons at all! I really don't get it.

$70 is MSRP for a release with a nice hardcover, full-color print book, and BD+DVD. That's a fairly normal price. Funimation recently set Okami-san and Princess Jellyfish with an MSRP of $70. Sentai Filmworks set the MSRP for Dream Eater Merry and Infinite Stratos also at $70.

The only new anime releases that start less than that are generally barebones DVD-only releases without the extras that aren't expected to sell as much. Those are around $40-50.

Even then, those are only MSRP! (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) Stores like Amazon and RightStuf frequently sell them much lower than MSRP. Dream Eater Merry and Princess Jellyfish are actually selling for $42 on RightStuf, and Okami-san is up for preorder on Amazon for $34.99 (which is literally half the price).

The only really super-cheap anime releases are titles that have been around for a while and sold well.

Last edited by TD912 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Good to see a good title being licensed.

Not that I was able to finish it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Good to see a good title being licensed.

Not that I was able to finish it.

If you don't mind me asking, how far did you get?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12