• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 80s: It's All In The Reflexes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
timeldred wrote:
I used to get all bent out of shape over pronunciation until I understood that since most of us encounter these made-up words in text form BEFORE we hear them, we can't help but lock in our own pronunciation bias. Especially with words that can have multiple spellings.

The reason "Char" (with a hard R sound) turns me into Punchmaster is because it isn't heard that way in the show. They say "Sha," so I learned to pronounce it "Sha." The R version showed up in Engrish pretty early after MSG, and we all know how reliable early 80s Engrish was. Some of it will never be untangled.

Most people will use the version that they where introduced with, more people are likely to have seen the dub for the tv series, than the early novels or movies which used Sha. This is from the movie dub where Zeon ace Char Aznable decides to help Federation Ace Pilot Amuro Ray with his car troubles, and yes I chose it because it's a hilarious and nonsensical scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUOAXhokrt8

An example of this is the fact that in the SRW fandom the early spelling of Sanger Zonvolt's name was Zengar Zombold but now most people seem to use Sanger Zonvolt since that was the spelling Atlus used, and every english version since.

Considering that Char Aznable's name is based on Charles Aznavour I can see why the official english translation is Char.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
finally listened the whole pod-cast and that was interesting... well I am not to familiar with many 80's anime titles besides all of the ghibli movies, akira or touch tv. One thing I do remember is watching a boot-leg tapes of the unico movies but those really don't count.. Most anime i have seen is just from the 90's and onward sadly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Panzer World Galliant sounds rather interesting, even to somebody like me who doesn’t much are for giant robots.

I'm also not huge on mecha but decided to try Galient due to the podcast. Two episodes in so far, and it's pretty good. The series definitely has a fantasy vibe to it.
GuyvarIII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
For 1980s Leiji Matsumoto, I preferred the challenging feel of I can’t let the mountain beat me! of Arcadia of My Youth, over the Oedipal I love you; you look just like my Mom sentiment of Galaxy Express. However, I remember the cataclysmic colliding of two worlds from the Queen Millennia movie as being really impressive … so, maybe that one was my favorite.

Gundam always seems like the 1970s to me. When I think of influential 1980s Tomino, I think: Ideon.

I’m still hopeful, but despite the abundance of Oshii references, I’m somehow doubtful Dallos will make the grade.

I can’t believe both Robot Carnival and Neo-Tokyo were scratched from everyone’s lists! I’m betting Area 88 and, with Galient already listed, Layzner will show up next time. And, I hope Barefoot Gen, They Were 11, City Hunter, GoShogun: The Time Étranger, or Blood Reign: Curse of the Undead Yoma will make someone’s list.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this podcast and the next couple as well! I just love '80s and '90s anime.

Thank you Tim Eldred for talking about Panzer World Galient. I had not heard of it, but it sounds awesome, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

You guys also got me interested in working through my Urusei Yatsura DVDs finally. I haven't watched much of it, and it's been a while, but you all renewed my interest. It is very funny at times.

I think my top 3 '80s anime would currently be Kimagure Orange Road, Arcadia of My Youth, and Bubblegum Crisis.
facespace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
This was one of my more favorite podcast episodes! It has really turned me on a bunch of animes that I have never heard of (started in late 90's), I'm gonna added Urusei Yatsura, Adieu Galaxy Express 999, Project A-ko, and Royal Space Force to my netflix que (if I can find them all).
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
My two cents. . . (not that it's needed)

Surrender Artist wrote:
I was afraid that it might be patronizing..

Surrender artist, I never find your explanations patronizing. Interesting and informative . . . yes. Patronizing . . no.

Surrender Artist wrote:

Also, don't get too hung up on what things look like when written. Written language is not the same as spoken language, but an abstracted representation of it.

This is true. I read a lot as a child, which meant that I learned a good part of my vocabulary from books.

Which mean that for most of my childhood and teen years. I had people looking down their noses going "Did I just hear you say "Chick"? Don't you know that it's pronounced "sheek." Aha ha ha ha"

"Did you just say Burly-esque. . . it's pronounced Bur-lesque Aha hahaha . . . ha

(I had a bit of a hangup when it came to french.) But the whole experience made me realized how prevalent pronunciation snobbery is.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
timeldred wrote:
The reason "Char" (with a hard R sound) turns me into Punchmaster is because it isn't heard that way in the show. They say "Sha," so I learned to pronounce it "Sha." The R version showed up in Engrish pretty early after MSG, and we all know how reliable early 80s Engrish was. Some of it will never be untangled.

Now see I'm still just not completely sure about how correct the pronunciation "Sha" is. As I mentioned earlier, Char's name is apparently based off of Charles Aznavour, the French-language singer. His name is pronounced "Sharl Aznavour". Notice the "r" in there? I mean if you just compare the pronunciation "Sharl" to the two disputed pronunciations for Char's name, "Shar" comes out sounding a lot closer to "Sharl" than "Sha" right?

I mean, I just wonder if the pronunciation "Sha" was used in the Japanese dub simply because it was the Japanese way of pronouncing what seems to be a foreign name. Cause you know, it's not like the Japanese actually pronounce English names the same way English speakers do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Technically, the first of the movies Disney released of the Ghibli films on home video was Kiki's Delivery Serivce (Laputa would've came quicker outside a few theatrical screenings but they waited until '03 to release it on DVD. Of course it took a decade or so for the Nausicaa manga to wrap up anyway and I can only

Past wrote:
To all you young'uns out there the episode title is a reference (I'm guessing) to a band you'd probably never heard of called Duran Duran.

Which they should be listening to!

Interesting to see some of my favs of the 80's getting trashed here, but I don't mind that at all. I can see the points addressed here and can think back in retrospect and understand the reasons clearly.
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Only started listening to this on the morning drive today.

Thanks for the shout-out, Daryl!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Cockpit was '89

It's listed as '93 on ANN Encyclopedia...

Yeah, my three The Cockpit LDs (TKLO-50126~8) all say '93. If there's anything more specific on the packaging, I'm not seeing it (well, as long as it doesn't require actually reading Japanese, anyway ^^; ). Maybe any preview that might be on one disc or other could be more specific, but my LD player isn't handy at the moment.

Quote:
Also, I'm in the minority on disliking the second Patlabor movie. Total 180 in tone from the rest of the series that it comes off as a disappointment.

I always loved Goto Kiichi and Nagumo Shinobu and their relationship, and greatly enjoyed a movie that was more focused on the two of them, plus getting a glimpse at what the rest of the members of SV2 were doing after having left Section 2 behind. I was least interested in Patlabor WXIII from the Patlabor franchise.

Quote:
It just seemed like a long-winded Miyazaki-styled Oshii rant which had the Patlabor name slapped on it, rather than an actual continuation of Patlabor. And sorry, but Shinobu's not one of the greatest characters in the series. That would have to be Clancy. And while I do like Goto, he doesn't really have anything to do with the story.

Is it a mark of your lack of interest in Shinobu that you refer to her by her given name, but the other two by their family names? ;p She's not one of the greatest characters on her own, but I always liked how she interacted with Goto Kiichi, and I fell in love with her as soon as I heard her voice (having also loved it coming from Celia/Sylia/whatever Stingray). ^^;; Kanuka Clancy was a wonderful character, too. She had to put up with so much from the other members of the 2nd section, she had the best line in the first Patlabor movie, and she was a member of the CLAT unit in New York! ^^; Kumagami Takeo was never quite able to replace her.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
In this modern age of Internet civility, I can no longer post that "OMG! IT'S SON GOKOU NOT SON GOKU..." picture, much as I'd want to. But for what it's worth, I intentionally pronounce "Macross" the "Mack Ross" way that they'd say it in Robotech and the dub for Macross Plus. It's how I hear it spoken in the Japanese, save for the theme song where they enunciate each syllable. Even the people involved in that ADV dub pronounce it the way I do when talking about the series, so without checking my interview recordings I want to say that particular pronunciation was something the Japanese insisted upon. There was one guy in the 90s I met back when I was a teenager who'd say it that way instead, and it's telling that I don't actually remember his name or much of what he looks like. Just that he'd pronounce Macross "muh-CROSS," and it did kind of bother me.

The only way I justify the "Mack-cross" pronunciation myself is to remind myself of the "macroscopic" nature (the word "macro" meaning "large" in this case) of the original TV show itself and how it plays into the lives of the characters and the enemy they encounter. It just makes sense to me.

Quote:
Perhaps the modern era equivalent of this phenomenon is people who pronounce Naruto "nuh-ROO-to" despite the fact that it's never said that way in either the Japanese or English editions or advertisements. I suppose that's how the word might look on the printed page? But whatever, my Japanese pronunciations are absolutely abysmal--"what do you MEAN I'm not supposed to place higher stress on syllables?!"--so I never take anyone to task for getting something wrong that I can't do right myself. To this day, I pronounce Utena's name "ooo-TEN-uh" instead of the more correct "OOO-tena" so I'm part of the problem.

Face it, it will never end!

[quote]That said, I will gladly say YO, SURRENDER ARTIST, IT'S "FIST" OF THE NORTH STAR, NOT "FIRST." Smile
I'm hope people don't make that mistake!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5