• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Post Natsume Yūjin-Chō Anime on Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
prnoct90 wrote:
There are actually 8 now because Crunchyroll announced the second Tower of Druaga season and they are currently simulcasting Linebarrels of Iron.

The six shows run on TV Tokyo. Tower of Druaga and Linebarrels of Iron are Gonzo shows, not TV Tokyo shows.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This MIGHT become a really bad year for people who have watched anime via fansubs for the last years. Especially when they live outside the US.
OK, this might not be Crunchyrolls fault, but for people outside the US it will be much more difficult to watch anime in the near future.

Expanding this kind of anime distribution worldwide COULD become great. Doing commericial subs in my native language would be my dream job... and many translators will be needed when more and more series need to be subbed in different languages.
I'm still doing Japanese Studies at university, but in 1-2 years I'm finished and then I'll need to find a job Sad
I would SO TOTALLY love getting this kind of job, but I'm afraid, this will never come true ;(

Also, I don't like the idea that HQ streams on Crunchyroll won't be free, even after a week. That way it can't compete with free, worldwide available fansubs.
Standard quality on CR SUCKS imho - BUT the 720p stream looks quite good! I wouldn't need better quality than that.
Check this out:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/hd_demo?src=fp&720p=1

But there's another problem: You'll have to pay for downloading episodes EVEN if you have an Anime Membership! So you have to pay twice if you want to download HQ episodes! I'm also having heavy problems playing the HQ stream sample on my computer! It's stuttering terribly! No, my PC isn't too slow (it plays FullHD videos perfectly) neither is my internet connection (video is buffering without any problems).
When I download the 720p-sample, I can play it without any stuttering.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
This MIGHT become a really bad year for people who have watched anime via fansubs for the last years. Especially when they live outside the US.

You know fansubs are released through other methods than CR and many fansub groups objected to CR hosting their work.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
halo wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
but a question, if I don't order their subscription, will I have to wait a few days to see this for free?

Yes.
And that membership doesn't garantee you against any and all region blocking that may happen.

The licensors control what regions can and can't stream. You can't blame CR for that. They've already stated they're trying their hardest to get rights for more regions.
Yes, i'm quite sure of that. And I'm quite sure that CITV will stop being idiots and air the rest of Digimon Tamers (Ie: ep 2 - 52) with in vision broadcasting of the first winged pig flight.

Shadowlord wrote:
OK, this might not be Crunchyrolls fault, but for people outside the US it will be much more difficult to watch anime in the near future.
No, it will just be more difficult to watch anime LEGALY in the near future if your unfortunate enough to live outside of the Holy Lands of America. They're will still be people taking these shows and fansubing/subripping them and I, having no option in the situation, will have to resort to them because I am not going to be cold cocked into watching nothing.

My hands are streched out to TVTokyo, Media Blasters, Toei and the like, all they need to do is allow me into thier little family and I'll give them all the money they want for thier shows.

You'll shout at me for downloading the fansubs, you'll shout at me for wanting this solution wherein I give my monies to them to see the shows so what the hell am I supposed to do?
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
halo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
halo wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
but a question, if I don't order their subscription, will I have to wait a few days to see this for free?

Yes.
And that membership doesn't garantee you against any and all region blocking that may happen.

The licensors control what regions can and can't stream. You can't blame CR for that. They've already stated they're trying their hardest to get rights for more regions.
Yes, i'm quite sure of that. And I'm quite sure that CITV will stop being idiots and air the rest of Digimon Tamers (Ie: ep 2 - 52) with in vision broadcasting of the first winged pig flight.

Shadowlord wrote:
No, it will just be more difficult to watch anime LEGALY in the near future if your unfortunate enough to live outside of the Holy Lands of America. They're will still be people taking these shows and fansubing/subripping them and I, having no option in the situation, will have to resort to them because I am not going to be cold cocked into watching nothing.

My hands are streched out to TVTokyo, Media Blasters, Toei and the like, all they need to do is allow me into thier little family and I'll give them all the money they want for thier shows.

You'll shout at me for downloading the fansubs, you'll shout at me for wanting this solution wherein I give my monies to them to see the shows so what the hell am I supposed to do?

Damn, now that's logic. It will be harder in the future to watch them legally because you can't watch them on CR now? CR wasn't legal before now and downloading fansubs elsewhere will be no less illegal. You don't have to believe them when they say they're working on getting more regional licensing but getting indignant because they're switching to a legal business is counterproductive.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, when CrunchyRoll becomes the only game in town that's showing shows from TV Tokyo (like anyone's going to licence Web Ghost whateverthatis or Re-licence Viewtiful Joe (and I'd like some of that VJ action too if they're going subs and showing stuff past ep 26...) legaly, then yes. Watching those shows legaly will be harder for non-americans.

At least before a point, there was a chance of DVD purchace and somehow I have a feeling I won't be geting DVDs of Tower Of Duraga or Linebarells of Iron (Ignoring thier quality for the sake of arguemnt) any time soon.

It's a Legal practice that stops me from watching the shows and removes the opotunity for me to legaly particpate in buying these shows to watch.
If they'd let me watch/buy the shows, there'd be no issue.
As it stands, I have to be against this otherwise I'm not going to have no damn thing to watch.

I'm not going to go without just because Crunchyroll/Else company fails at red tape + Internet.
I meen Toei just fail in general (and are just lucky enoguh to ride the Dragonball boat for the rest of the ever) and I've accept that I'm totaly screwed in regards to legaly buying Digimon Zero Two and Fist of the North Star but I would of liked to at least see some company not be totaly stupid and use the internet to it's fullest potential in reaching as world wide an audiance that is possible.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Yaaay CR has Natsume Yuujinchou can't wait I was hoping they would get it this is like the best piece of news I have heard since yesterday lolz
Taiyz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I know a few people who will probably shat themselves upon hearing this... and not in a good way.
A lot of me just died inside upon hearing this.

Goddammit, there goes my dream of seeing this localized properly, or even having a domestic DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll's taking over! Hahaha, but whatever. It seems really good so far, this legit Crunchyroll stuff, especially with the high quality streams that come with the pay-for subscription membership.

Maybe we should get some competition in here, though... But right now, it's OK. Smile
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is the ONLY game in town now when it comes to licensed streaming anime...

They got over 100 shows for this upcoming season... There are TONS that are not even listed yet.

AND they are moving quickly to get a license to either replace the fansubs with fresh subbed video right from the source, or to allow the previously subbed ones to be shown. Or in some cases, to have the studios post the raws and allow .ass files to be uploaded to them.

For now, there is ZERO illegal fansubs on Crunchroll. If you find a fansub, its LEGAL - with the actual permission from the studios for it to be a fansub. Otherwise, everything else will be a legal sub right from the source.

Give Crunchyroll about 2 or 3 months. Everyone will be blown away by what they will be able to offer by then. Several fansub groups are already closing up shop because Crunchyroll will be taking over from where they are leaving off with several series.

This is the dawn of a new era!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Crunchyroll is the ONLY game in town now when it comes to licensed streaming anime...

They got over 100 shows for this upcoming season... There are TONS that are not even listed yet.

AND they are moving quickly to get a license to either replace the fansubs with fresh subbed video right from the source, or to allow the previously subbed ones to be shown. Or in some cases, to have the studios post the raws and allow .ass files to be uploaded to them.

For now, there is ZERO illegal fansubs on Crunchroll. If you find a fansub, its LEGAL - with the actual permission from the studios for it to be a fansub. Otherwise, everything else will be a legal sub right from the source.

Give Crunchyroll about 2 or 3 months. Everyone will be blown away by what they will be able to offer by then. Several fansub groups are already closing up shop because Crunchyroll will be taking over from where they are leaving off with several series.

That's all great for a lot of people, but many people who are use to pirating are also use to the increased video and audio quality that cannot be replicated on CR. No matter what you do, a stream just can't match a well encoded download for quality. This won't end fansubs, as a lot of subbers still resent CR in any fashion.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
kokuryu wrote:

That's all great for a lot of people, but many people who are use to pirating are also use to the increased video and audio quality that cannot be replicated on CR. No matter what you do, a stream just can't match a well encoded download for quality. This won't end fansubs, as a lot of subbers still resent CR in any fashion.
And heck, for people like me who collect series' by DVD, I'd never want to purchase digitally distributed video, so they aren't getting my business either.

With this, I find that Crunchyroll is just lowering the standards of the anime community. Pirates won't settle for reduced quality and certainly won't pay for high quality, their usual level of quality, and DVD collectors likely won't adopt digital distribution of their videos (and DVDs in their own right are superior to the free stuff, so I don't see them watching the streams either.)

So really, apart from stuff that can only be acquired online (ie: Xam'd) I still see the community lingering on fansubs or fan encodes or waiting for DVD releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Yeah, an Era of brilliant idea, stupid exicution.

I realy had no problem with this whole plan up untill the part where I couln't watch 75% of the shows on the Home Page (2 shows out of 7) because Americans are afraid of summoning Zardoz by touching my Britianian money.

Any action that stops me from being part of the Legal process of consuming products will be villified by me and unfortunately, the solution is right there and all crunchyroll need to do to get me to stop is to sort that mess out.

because 35% is a failing grade anywhere.
ArrancarNelTu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Good thing Crunchyroll is only putting shows that no one watches/cares.

If they put Michiko to Hatchin, Bleach, Soul Eater or FMA then i'll raise hell. CrunchyRoll is just as bad as everyone thinks fansubs are. There quality is shit, even YouTube is much better with 720p. Only the USA gets to watch all those shows, and then there's the payment. I'm no cheapsake, but why should i fork out money (in a crappy economy, mind you) for low-quality video?

Shinji is just a profiter. All he cares about is the green. And lol wtf, Linebarrels? No, just no. There's people who actually watch that?
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
I'll say it again: The best version of Naruto Shippuuden on CR for example should have 1280x720 while Dattebayo's encodes only have 848x480. Sure, video resolution isn't everything, but I think the 720p sample on Crunchyroll looks better than DB's encode.
Sadly, I won't see them because I'm in Europe. Even IF it becomes available in Europe too, I'd still have to pay TWICE for getting it legally on my harddisk.

Maybe illegal Crunchyroll RIPs will take over the place of the fansubbed version...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4