• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magazine: Silver Spoon Manga 'Seems' to Have Anime Plans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
this is a level down from FMA.
hamsterfactor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
I figured they'd eventually do one, with Silver Spoon being the only hit in Shounen Sunday for a while. Hopefully they'll wait for a few more volumes to come out first.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
Finally another Shonen Sunday anime. Hopefully it will boost the magazine's sales a bit.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

What were you expecting, FMA with cows and pigs? It's not a step down, it's apples and oranges.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Not a surprise. Even if it hadn't won the Manga Taisho award I have no doubt it would've gotten at least 1 season considering the creator.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

What were you expecting, FMA with cows and pigs? It's not a step down, it's apples and oranges.

Or cows and horses.
Horses go places, they do things, those beasts of burden. Cows just are milked and then they're food. Silver Spoon is not a horse. Oh, it's a step down, alright. It's worse when you really look at the character designs. Or just glance at them.

What was I expecting? For starters, not an anime. I understand the idea of changing creative paces, of doing new things but when it comes to slice of life, you gotta care about what life you're slicing. Or something. It won an award; Yeah, many things I've read or seen and don't care about have won awards. I believe it even has its own award, The Golden Ehh.

I like the article title though; "Seems", the manga 'seems' to have anime plans. Well, first, you have to find a production company who wants to, I don't know, make a Silver Spoon anime.

Plans are plural? So, it's more a pipe dream then. I feel safer, for now. But I guess I shouldn't count my chickens yet.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Silver Spoons sells over 300,000 copies a volume, it's the biggest hit Shonen Sunday has had since probably Zatch Bell. Of course it's going to get an anime.

If Hiromu Arakawa wants to make a manga about farming let her make a manga about farming. You come off like Arakawa somehow owes you something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I should be happy about this as I was a fan of FMA. But a level down? Who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it's too soon for an anime adaptation. Honestly, I figured Silver Spoon would get a dorama instead, since it's completely devoid of fantastical elements.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
WIN
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I hope it will be fully adapted in anime form, so maybe it's still too early for a TV series?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sherri-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely LOVE Silver Spoon but the anime adaptation seemed a bit too soon. I read somewhere else that Arakawa only planned to draw Silver Spoon for about a year. That would be about 50-60 chapters. She is half way through now (we are in the Autumn chapters now) and the anime is planned for THIS SUMMER?!

Regarding the level down comment: Dude, FMA and SP are two completely different genre. It's not really fair to compare the two. SP is a humourous high school story while FMA is a fantasy adventure story. SP sales is pretty great though. Pretty sure the sales would go up higher once anime hits TV.

From Oricon:

Vol 1 - http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/obc/w/2011-07-25/ - Sold 90257 copies, 4th place first week. 85684 copies, 5th place 2nd week. It's very good for a newly released manga (without anime adaptation) and it was the only "volume 1" in top 30 during those two weeks.

Vol 2 - http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/obc/w/2011-12-26/more/1/ - Sold 202276 copies, 2nd place first week. 60166 copies, 21st place second week. (Lots of great releases in December) If it weren't for Conan it would have been first place first week. =P Darn Sunday, why release both of them at the same time?

I do not have data for Hong Kong sales, but I know for a fact that both SP vol 1 and 2 first press edition were sold out within a month. No idea how many they printed, but given how strongly it was advertised, I would think quite a lot.

Info below copied and pasted from my own post here...

There is a bit more info regarding that anime adaptation on 2ch. But since it's from 2ch, take it with a grain of salt.

http://ikura.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/wcomic/1332555882/132

「銀の匙 Silver Spoon」がアニメ化決定!制作はJ.C.STAFFが担当し、今夏放送を予定している。
Silver Spoon Animation has been decided. Production team will be J.C. STAFF. Release planned for this summer.

キャスト Cast list
八軒勇吾:間島淳司 Hachiken Yuugo - Majima Junji
御影アキ:日笠陽子 Mikage Aki - Hikasa Youko
駒場一郎:谷山紀章 Komaba Ichirou - Taniyama Kishou
常盤恵次:山口勝平 Tokiwa Keiji - Yamaguchi Kappei
相川進之介:野島健児 Aikawa Shinnosuke - Nojima Kenji
稲田多摩子:平野綾 Inada Tamako - Hirano Aya
吉野まゆみ:堀江由衣 Yoshino Mayumi - Horie Yui
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1