• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you ever get the blues after finishing a series you love?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
First of all, this is my first post in these forums so hello! I've lurked the forums for a while, but decided to make an account just now to discuss this topic (although I plan on remaining an active poster even after this).

Whenever I finish a series I really enjoy, I get a bit melancholy that the story has to end, that I can't enjoy any more content with the characters and universe I so appreciate. This is by no means restricted to anime; I was a bit sad after beating Mass Effect 3 last month, and I've felt like that after finishing every new song of ice and fire novel (while I know the series isn't finished, the 5+ years of waiting between books is harsh). The feeling itself is kinda strange, a kind of longing for more stories mixed with the knowledge that, well, it's over.

As an example, I just finished Toradora, and absolutely loved the series. I've been scouring the web just reading everything people have to say about the series, good and bad, simply to experience more of it. I've thought about reading the manga or light novels, but I'm hesitant given how they'll be an alternate portrayal of characters I already know, and I might not like that. In general I never feel like this for more than a day, and I'll probably back to normal tomorrow, so it's never cause for worry, but does anyone else ever get like this?

What are some series you've really missed when they ended, and how did you deal with it? Rewatch the series? Simply let your emotions pass and move on? I know that there are plenty of other great series out there for me to watch, I'm already watching HBO's The Wire and loving it, and I plan to start Madoka Magica either tomorrow or the day after, but do you think it's best to simply dive back in to another series or do you prefer to reminisce on what you've just finished?
MrDandi97

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Welcome to ANN forums.You have come to the right place.This Forum is the best when it comes to Anime and Manga related info.
Now for the topic at hand.When i finish a series i grow close to and get fond of it i always get the blues when it ends.This just shows that people can get attached to Anime they find beautiful and that they love.
Some of the Anime i miss are Clannad:After Story,Angel Beats and Death Note.I really want to re-watch them so that i can re-live the memories and feelings i felt but a part of me wants that they remain a beautiful and unforgettable one-time experience that i will hold dearly for the rest of my life.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
I get that kind of feeling after finishing a series that's either a romance story (or just about very strong friendship between the characters) or when it has an open ending. I remember how sad I was after I finished Koi Kaze, Spice and Wolf II, Steins;Gate, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai!... I wanted all of those series to never end. Crying or Very sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
That feeling is an indicator that the anime did a good job of pulling you into the story and did not overstay its welcome. This is much better than a show that becomes tiresom before it ends or worse yet, never ends.

I just enjoy the feeling and go on to something new.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Interesting topic. I'm sure I've experienced this before but I can't think of any specific titles off the top of my head. Generally, if a show has a poignant ending, like Ano Hana, for example, I'll feel a bit blue, but that's not the sort of thing this thread is about. If I happen to think of a good example, I'll come back.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Definitely. It only happens with the series' I love the most, but I've experienced that feeling of loss and melancholy at the ending of Natsume's Book of Friends, Haibane Renmei, Trigun and a few others. When I feel that, I don't jump into another series right away. I reflect on what I've seen either by just thinking about the series or posting about it, and always reading other people's thoughts on the show. I usually go for a walk with my dog and let myself sleep on it before I start a new show.

Toradora is a great show so it doesn't surprise me that it would incite sadness and pensiveness. momthemeatloaf, what did you think of the ending? The ending frustrated me at first because spoiler[I wanted to see more! They're together but Taiga moved to a different school, what's up with that??] But it doesn't bug me as much anymore.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Who likes good things to end? Hoverer, life shows that the alternative usually isn't perpetual happiness of endless series, but slow decay. IMHO it's better for fiction to die as good fiction, invoking some regret in reader.
The series that particularity moved me were Princess Tutu, Utena, Lady Oscar, Oniisama E- especially that apart Utena* all of them end in bitter-sweet or ambiguous way. It was devastating, but I understood that some ends had to be left loose because without it, they would lost all emotional impact.

Azumanga Daioh was other case- when I first watched it in high school I saw it as a perfectly happy ending- nobody died, they just graduated and went to universities of their dreams. Now I see the trace of bitterness- every dream comes at price and new duties will tear them apart and there always be someone who will be absent at the reunion or just sit for a while- because practices, work, family and even facebook or other myspace won't help. Sad, but natural.

*The fact is that it had the best and happiest ending of all anime. Ever. I will defend this statement as independence.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
MrDandi97 wrote:
Some of the Anime i miss are Clannad:After Story,Angel Beats and Death Note.I really want to re-watch them so that i can re-live the memories and feelings i felt but a part of me wants that they remain a beautiful and unforgettable one-time experience that i will hold dearly for the rest of my life.

I have a hard time rewatching any series that I become emotionally involved in for this reason. The second time around is almost inevitably never going to be as good as the wonderful initial viewing experience. Mostly all of my rewatching is for straight up comedies like Lucky Star and Sgt. Frog, that don't require any emotional commitment.

I most recently discovered Emma: A Victorian Romance after it had been sitting on my shelf for over a year. I was not expecting this to be such an emotional title, but it was an incredible experience(especially the first season.) As much as I enjoyed it, I probably won't rewatch it for a long, long time.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I tend to 'pull up' a bit if I've been marathoning a long series. I'll watch two, three, four episodes a day, but then when I get close to the end, I'll watch ONE episode every few days or so because I just don't want it to be over.

As far as shows I got the blues after finishing, I'd say Elfen Lied, Angel Beats, Fruits Basket, and Clannad all got me down quite a bit when I finished them. I'm also on the verge of finishing Is This a Zombie?, Darker than Black (series one), air, and Clannad After Story and I'm definitely starting to feel a little upset about it lol

GDFan wrote:
I most recently discovered Emma: A Victorian Romance after it had been sitting on my shelf for over a year. I was not expecting this to be such an emotional title, but it was an incredible experience(especially the first season.) As much as I enjoyed it, I probably won't rewatch it for a long, long time.

I really want to check this series out but (apart from its relative scarcity to find, and expense once it's found), there don't seem to be any dubbed versions on dvd; even though an English cast appears on the info page here (credited as an Animax dub). Did they just dub it for foreign broadcast and NOT release a dubbed version on dvd?

I know it sounds petty, but I really prefer dubs to subs. It just allows me to focus more on what's going on as a whole instead of tediously fixating on the bottom of a TV screen.

[EDIT: Please use the Edit button next time instead of making consecutive posts. Thanks. -TK]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, this tends to happen to me after watching a show that I loved deeply or that I felt very connected to. When it's over it makes me feel happy and satisfied, and at the same time, I feel a kind of emptiness and sadness, and feel like wanting more of the story and the characters. Hikaru no Go immediately comes to mind, it's one of my top anime ever and I wish I could rewatch it endlessly. The Avatar series did that to me too, it was such a beautiful show, with fantastic and very endearing characters and I was very sad to see it end, yet I thought the ending was perfect.

A couple more that made me feel like that were Gungrave, Gurren Lagann and Baccano!, all among my favorite anime that had me completely enraptured with their universes, their characters and their stories
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I felt the absolute worst after the first time I finished all of Sailor Moon. I couldn't believe there was no more to watch. That feeling is what made me seek out other anime and become an anime fan though. I am really excited about the remake series coming out this year as there will finally be more Sailor Moon.

Any of my favorite series have given me this feeling to a slightly lesser degree, and I feel like I immediately want to watch them again.
azndragon4k

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
momthemeatloaf wrote:
I plan to start Madoka Magica either tomorrow or the day after, but do you think it's best to simply dive back in to another series or do you prefer to reminisce on what you've just finished?

Madoka Magica is great, I just caught a showing of the two movies at a indie theater last week and cant wait for the 3rd since Its new content.

I prefer to reminisce if I really enjoy the story, but sometimes endings that end in a tragedy just gets me so depressed. I like to dive into another show to make me feel better
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I was a little bit sad when I finished watching Cardcaptor Sakura. Since the TV show got released in 18 volumes, for about 2 or 3 years, I could always look forward to the arrival of a new set of episodes every couple of months. Then, the show ended, and even though there was still one more CCS release to come (the second movie), I was a little bit bummed since I couldn't look forward to more new volumes of the show.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I might have a bigger problem than most of you guys. Even if the show wasn't that great, I still am hesitant to finish the last couple of episodes and this problem has doomed me for awhile. I have a lot of unfinished animes with 1 or 2 episodes left because I feel sad that the anime will be finished. This happened when I watched Madoka. I watched the first 10 episodes in like 2 days, but I only watched the last 2 episodes like 2-3 weeks later because I didn't want it to end. This also applied to shows that weren't great like Mirai Nikki and Guilty Crown. Although I noticed I seem to have no problem finishing pure comedy animes, like Daily Lives of HS Boys. One of my friends says I am too sentimental.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, the feeling emptiness and melancholy that comes from finishing a show that you really loved. This was strongest when I was just getting into anime, but I have come a little appreciate a full story, and there will be a new show to come.

The strongest examples would be:
Death Note, one of my first big titles, although there were aspects I was missing well before the end.

Ironically to its name, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, this has been helped by some sequels but more than anything I call this series an experience and when the experience ended I felt empty, which is why I rewatched it after I finished it.

EireformContinent mentioned Azumanga Daioh, and I think this also was a case. I think a strong part from this was tht it was a very strong character piece, most jokes and situations required purely on characters more than just circumstance. It was something I did not expect to like at first, but by the end of the series I was so attached to the characters that I started crying during the graduation.

Most examples seem to have faded from my memory, I know that I feel it with other things too, it is why I also often hold off from finishing video games as I am afraid of the melancholic feeling that comes from seeing the credits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3