• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've forgotten how much I enjoy Bamboo's reviews, especially with her review of Shining Hearts. I can't say I expected that series to be good, but wow from the review alone that series looks hilariously predictable.

People who hate on Shining Hearts have no soul. How can you hate something so adorably sweet and harmless?

Not sure why people would hate it. I'm not going to watch it, but i don't see anything wrong with the show. People who hate everything has no credibility anyway.

I think I will only continue to watch Dusk maiden, Fate Zero, Eureka Seven, and Jormungand.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
The only thing that interested me based on the reviews was Polar Bear's Cafe (though Kids on the Slope is starting to sound like it might be worth checking out too). I watched ep.01 of PBC and at the risk of sounding unsophisticated (yeah, what do I care)... I laughed. A lot. And I wasn't even drunk or anything. Granted, I'm not sure how it will hold up over a full cour but I'm willing to keep watching and see.

Scaramanga wrote:
Zac wrote:
I've shut stuff off after 5 minutes. Sometimes, life's too short.

Now everyone quit being a dick about it.
I've not watched things after seeing a trailer.
Hell, for a while I wouldn't watch a particular drama because I didn't like the male lead's hairstyle in a particular promo picture. Later I went back and checked it out and it ended up being one of my absolute favorite series ever. I'm a firm believer that even if you overlook something good the first time 'round, if it really is that good, the fan community will bring it to your attention again (that is, assuming you've paid attention to other forumers with whose tastes you tend to agree).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I'm a firm believer that even if you overlook something good the first time 'round, if it really is that good, the fan community will bring it to your attention again (that is, assuming you've paid attention to other forumers with whose tastes you tend to agree).[/size]

Omg, this.

I completely agree with you here, how many times I've utterly ignored a show (or game, or book, or manga, etc) just to realize, a long time after its primetime, that particular story could be of my interest.

The most recent example: Madoka. Based on early previews and fan comments, I thought it could never become a good anime. A year later, I've seen it, and my initial impressions were so wrong.

Who knows what hidden gem of this season could be waiting for you, right here, right now, but you wouldn't get into it at once.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Is ANN gonna preview Hyouka? Early reaction says it might be the best of the season so I'm wondering what you guys think of it.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is ANN gonna preview Hyouka?

The Preview has been over for awhile now.
Someone might pop in this thread and drop their thoughts on it, but more than likely, unless it gets an official stream or license, we're not going to hear anything about it from ANN.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is ANN gonna preview Hyouka?

The Preview has been over for awhile now.
Someone might pop in this thread and drop their thoughts on it, but more than likely, unless it gets an official stream or license, we're not going to hear anything about it from ANN.

Pretty much what Coffee God said. I might pop back in this thread and comment on it later this evening (managed to watch the first half of it during lunch - definitely a nice-looking series), but it won't be added to the Preview Guide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
And speaking on that, my thoughts on the first episode of Hyouka:

Artistic Merit: Possibly the season's best-looking series. Eru Chitanda is, hands-down, the prettiest character of the season (yes, even over Irisviel), a perfect balance of girlishly cute and womanly sexy, and Hotaro's dream sequences about her are fascinating to watch.

Concept: Enh. I'm probably partly being poisoned by sandwiching this episode in amidst watching Legend of the Legendary Heroes, which also features a recalcitrantly lazy male lead, and I've never been a terribly big fan of the kind of pure mystery-oriented approach shown here. Ultimately, though, not enough actually happens here for the episode to be compelling and I'm tired of the lazy gimmick.

I'd probably have given this one a 3/5, mostly on the strength of the artistic merits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
I tend to agree with Key's assessment of episode 1 of Hyouka (which is all I have managed to find time for. I downloaded the 2nd, but ... )

I would rate it a bit higher overall, either a 3.5 or 4. The lazy-for-no-good-reason lead is the prime detractor. The gorgeous art, gorgeous lead female, and the impact she has on Mr. Lazy lifts it above the pack. There was a line late in the episode that pushed the show into my "to watch" pile, when the male side-kick character commented that he is just a database, or something like that. It really struck me as a good line, and did a great job of defining the characters in a concise way. (Now if they can grow beyond their initial definition, it will be good.)
SuperSaiyen312

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Eru Chitanda is, hands-down, the prettiest character of the season (yes, even over Irisviel), a perfect balance of girlishly cute and womanly sexy

It's really not that surprising that you'd say something like this. I'm sure we all your preferences by now...
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

If I want harmless sweet cute and nothing more I'll watch kitten videos on Youtube. This is not entertaining.

*perk*

Ooooh! Kitten videos!
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I know it's late, but I loved Acchi Kocchi and Natsuiro Kiseki, but I found Uppotte to be okay at best... spoiler[ The ending lowered the score for me, they build it up into something awesome and then give us a middle finger and never go to it. Lame.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Jamie38459 wrote:
Well, I know it's late, but I loved Acchi Kocchi and Natsuiro Kiseki, but I found Uppotte to be okay at best... spoiler[ The ending lowered the score for me, they build it up into something awesome and then give us a middle finger and never go to it. Lame.]

This topic has been dead for a year and a half, you should have started a new topic according to the rules.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 69 of 69