• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How does rightstuf keep discontinued items in stock?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Like the Texhnolyze Lenticular Set that's a discontinued item that they sold out of, but now they have over 300 in stock. I mean if Geneon don't produce the dvds anymore than how did another shipment came in? Did they made a deal with the devil or something?

Last edited by Hannish Lightning on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Because Geneon still has DVDs laying around, and the number reflects how many Rightstuf are in control of.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Exactly- not only that, but TRSI often ends up with shipments originally sent to other businesses (ever get a DVD with a big Rightstuf sticker on it? That's covering a price tag from Best Buy or FYE or somehwere.)

So basically, someone somewhere found a few forgotten boxes of that boxset, returned it to Geneon, who sold it cheap to TRSI (or maybe TRSI bought it directly, I don't know). It happens every so often, and we get a good deal out of it. Very Happy
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
To expand a little on what walw6pK4Alo said: Out of print != Out of Stock. Having a series go out of print doesn't mean that all of the disks that were printed were sold. Maybe, as walw6pK4Alo said, Geneon still had some sitting in a warehouse. Rightstuf also could have had more sitting in their warehouse that they found. I remember when Animeigo was having one of their sales, they had empty boxes and some full box sets for Kimagure Orange Road and Urusai Yatsura, which they said they had found in their warehouse.

DuelLadyS wrote:
Exactly- not only that, but TRSI often ends up with shipments originally sent to other businesses (ever get a DVD with a big Rightstuf sticker on it? That's covering a price tag from Best Buy or FYE or somehwere.)

My Azumanga Daioh V.1 w/box had a Best Buy sticker on it.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. Specifically, during one of their 10 for $50/25 for $100 sales, my DVDs came with Best Buy, FYI, and Suncoast price tags on them.

Apparently, RightStuf is in some position to get more discs from other retailers at times. I'd venture the discs are returned to the company who then sends them on out to RightStuf, in some arrangement, but you never know unless Shawne is sharing the company secrets somewhere.. Wink
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty standard model in that kind of business. In most businesses, stores buy on consignment, wherer they have some amount of time to pay for it. So they "buy" a bunch of whatevers, and have some amount of time to pay for them. The key for a buyer is to buy just as many whatevers as they think they can sell before the bill comes due, and then to set the price so that they can sell them and make a profit before the bill comes due. This is one of the reasons why you'll see new releases on sale cheap the first week or so they're out- retailers are trying to move as many units as possible, even at at discounted price with lower profit, so that they can pay their bills to the wholesaler. Or at least have the money to, depending on whether there's a built in incentive to pay it off more quickly or not.

With a lot of media (cds, dvds, magazines) there's a clause that lets the retailer return a certain amount of unsold materials after that period- so you get 100 dvds, thinking you can sell maybe 50 before your 90 days are up, but you can return maybe 30 of them. So you sell 52, return 30, and you're only stuck with 28 that you've paid for and not gotten any return on. But then the wholesaler is stuck with 30- when that happens too often, you end up with a 10 for $50 sale. (Noting that all my numbers are completely made up to convey the point.)

Some stores will also charge the wholesaler for shelf space if something doesn't sell- I believe it's called a rack fee, or something like that. Basically charging for the sales they're losing by having something that's not selling on the shelves when it could be replaced with something that WOULD sell. The term escapes me just now. So it's often more worth their while to take product back than pay money just to have it on the shelf where it's not moving, and sell it more directly through a specialty store like Right Stuf. I had never heard of this in regards to anime (or any media, really) until somebody on this site said it happened- apparently it's standard in clothing, and I've heard of it happening with sporting goods.

A last possibility is that Right Stuf just bought a bunch of copies of something and has some left.

So I don't know which part of these are applicable, but any of them could have something to do with stocking the bargain bin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1