• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gantz Producer Wants to Give Away Gantz Sphere, Props

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dako Guyver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I would make room in my home to be able to "display them with care" if I could get the Sphere. I already have the small one, I would love to have the big one Very Happy

~Dako Guyver
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
Surely they know about e-bay in Japan, surely? It's usually a good sign of how successful a production is by the way the studio, or producer handles its sets and props. In comparison the actual Harry Potter sets have become a profitable theme park here in England. However having said that it would feel right at home in our Tate Modern art gallery. It would be more closer to actual art than some of the literal piles of rubbish that tries to get away with being called art in there. Rolling Eyes
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha!! That's funny considering that I just started reading Gantz about 2-3 weeks ago and I've been breezing through it. I'm on temporary hiatus because not enough public libraries in the area have any of the other volumes. Plus, I've already read what we've purchased and now have to wait for vol. 8 through ILL. Cause you can't jump to 9 and 10.

I have to admit having this "sphere" in your house would make an INTERESTING conversation piece.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
That would be cool. I doubt it come with the racks that come out of the sides stocked with guns tho Anime hyper
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
While others have Sprite in their house, others have spheres in their homes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Surely they know about e-bay in Japan, surely

I know a few years ago that Yahoo! Auctions was actually more popular in Japan than eBay, despite the fact that Yahoo! Auctions basically died on the vine in the States. I don't know if that still holds true.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne: While I can't really vouch for this being accurate anymore, I heard the Yahoo auctions (at least in the States) were gradually becoming more and more obsolete. Competition from other sites (namely Ebay and Craiglist) more or less pushed Yahoo Auctions out of the market I heard.

However, this is news to me that Yahoo Auctions (at any time) was more popular than Ebay though. Considering that there is a great quantity of items on Ebay from Japan, at least up until recently.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
I want one of these for Christmas tbh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

However, this is news to me that Yahoo Auctions (at any time) was more popular than Ebay though. Considering that there is a great quantity of items on Ebay from Japan, at least up until recently.

Ebay first entered Japan in 2000 and exited in 2002 - late, didn't have the portal, and didn't realize the Japanese way of auctioning. As Business Week put it in 2001:
Quote:
Yahoo Japan--the country's largest portal--has 95% of the online-auction market, where last year $1.6 billion worth of goods were traded. By contrast, eBay Japan--whose only business is auctions and whose parent dominates online auctions in the U.S.--has a measly 3% of the Japanese market.

EBay's first mistake in the Japan market was coming in late. And when eBay Japan did launch--five months after Yahoo Japan--it charged a commission for each transaction. Yahoo Japan doesn't.

By contrast, eBay's Japanese launch was hobbled by a series of missteps. The first was the decision to charge commissions of 1.25% to 5% and require sellers to provide credit card numbers, a hassle for young Japanese who often don't have plastic and prefer to pay cash on delivery or by bank transfer. Moreover, eBay had a chance to launch soon after Yahoo, but spent much of 1999 developing a site, preparing the legal work to open a Japanese subsidiary, and looking for managers to run the operation.

Even when eBay did get in gear, it took too long, critics say, to embellish its Japanese site with the local touches needed to attract users. Over time, categories had to be changed and more free features, such as horoscopes, product reviews, and newsletters, had to be added "so it makes more sense from a Japanese point of view," says Okawara. These alterations took months.

At the same time, eBay Japan also took a low-key approach to marketing, relying on its usual formula: rather than spend big bucks on advertising, just let auction fans spread the word. That passivity backfired in Japan because eBay had too few users.

Ebay re-entered Japan in 2008 thru a partnership with Yahoo Japan:
Quote:
EBay and Yahoo Japan are tying up to make it easier for their respective users to bid on and buy goods available on each other's sites.

The deal, which brings together the world leader in Internet auctions with the largest player in the Japanese market, kicks off with the launch later Tuesday of "Sekaimon." The Web site, whose name in Japanese means "gateway to the world," allows Yahoo Japan users access to bid on items listed on eBay's U.S. site using their Yahoo Japan ID.

The second phase of the alliance will see eBay items listed within Yahoo Japan's auction site. This service is scheduled to begin by the end of March 2008. Then, before the end of 2008, items from Yahoo Japan will be listed on eBay's U.S. site so that eBay users can bid and buy the items.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1