• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accel World (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
Just watched the pre-aired episode. Amazing! Very nice animation and music. While there are some who will not like the MC character design for being short and fat, i think it's perfect since we understand and pity him over why he has such low-self esteem. Hopefully, his character grows and becomes a better person.

Trivia:Reki Kawahara, the author of Accel World and Sword Art Online appears as himself as that box-robot avatar using a laptop, which is how he draws himself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Hmm, after two eppies, I'm still lukewarm, but I'm prepared to watch more. I don't like MC's character design not because he is short and fat, but because his design does not appear consistent with the others. Everybody else is pretty much Animu Generica design, but MC looks like he could have been drawn for South Park. A bit of an exaggeration, but not much.

I found that there was generally too much exposition around explaining the rules of Brain Burst and the virtual environment. I think this stuff could have been handled more quickly and in a more interesting way. Hopefully the info dump stuff is out of the way.

We'll see. There are so many shows this season that I'm being more brutal than usual in my "do I continue on?" decisions and Accel World is not yet a slum dunk for going to the finish line.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I found that there was generally too much exposition around explaining the rules of Brain Burst and the virtual environment. I think this stuff could have been handled more quickly and in a more interesting way. Hopefully the info dump stuff is out of the way.

Well, it becomes really annoying when there are too little explanations. Better too much explanations than no explanations at all. Very Happy

I'm assuming there is a happy medium. Plus, part of what I'm talking about is just a more creative way of conveying the information than having two characters sitting across from each other connected by a wire. It would have been easy enough for Butterfly to be mentally connected with MC during an actual battle and giving out info while action is happening.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'll give this show more of a shot, but so far it's left me kind of cold. I like the idea of Haru being realistically bullied and portrayed as short and fat. But then the rest of the story just seems like wish-fulfillment wankery. I know this has been present in a lot of other shows, but it seems particularly egregious in this.
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Masakaki wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Well, it becomes really annoying when there are too little explanations. Better too much explanations than no explanations at all. Very Happy

I'm assuming there is a happy medium. Plus, part of what I'm talking about is just a more creative way of conveying the information than having two characters sitting across from each other connected by a wire. It would have been easy enough for Butterfly to be mentally connected with MC during an actual battle and giving out info while action is happening.

I don't know, if you incorporate it while the fight is going on...distraction. And is it possible to connect during battle? Since it was never shown, it might not be possible. While there might have been a better way to execute the info dump, at least all that relevant information's out of the way and the next episodes can focus on the battles instead of them being a guess game to viewers because of lack of explanation.

MrTerrorist wrote:
Just watched the pre-aired episode. Amazing! Very nice animation and music. While there are some who will not like the MC character design for being short and fat, i think it's perfect since we understand and pity him over why he has such low-self esteem. Hopefully, his character grows and becomes a better person.

I agree about the main guy being short and fat as a good way to get viewers to actually sympathize with him. Sometimes you get these bishie heroes with inferiority complex and you just don't get why that's even the case. However, I hope this feature of his does not become a sad excuse for his incompetency. Although I'm pretty sure his character will develop throughout the show.

I was actually not gonna watch this show (I didn't even know there was a pre-air) but thankfully I did. I liked it, to say the least. I will most definitely continue watching.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Really liked the first episode, have high hopes for it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Just caught Episode 2 on Hulu:

Following the conversation on the Burst Link names, I have to say it's an interesting concept.

spoiler[So the Burst Link characters are a reflection of the users in a sense. Something along that line I guess, maybe a representation of their ego or psychological stuff. I didn't really pay that much attention to the explanation. Their characters are named after colors and these colors represent their strength and weaknesses.]

So, the feMC is called by other users in the Global Net "Kuroyukihime" which in a literal translation would be "Princess Snow White" - the opposite of Snow White. That's not what really caught me though. This episode she said spoiler[her Burst Link avatar looked ugly/hideous or whatever. So why did it appear like so? She must be hiding dark secrets yet to be found (just like almost every ojou-character in anime).]

Now that this is typed out... I feel incredibly stupid. The whole second paragraph sounded intelligent in my head. I'll regret clicking the submit button.
Masakaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:09 am; edited 3 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
So, the feMC is called by other users in the Global Net "Kuroyukihime" which in a literal translation would be "Princess Snow White" - the opposite of Snow White. That's not what really caught me though. This episode she said spoiler[her Burst Link avatar looked ugly/hideous or whatever. So why did it appear like so? She must be hiding dark secrets yet to be found (just like almost every ojou-character in anime).]

You mean Black right? "Kuro" meaning black, "yuki" meaning snow, and "hime" meaning princess.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:

You mean Black right? "Kuro" meaning black, "yuki" meaning snow, and "hime" meaning princess.

Woa, I didn't know that. So, its Black Snow Princess huh? Sounds a bit ominous, which is kinda interesting.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Oh, yes. I typo'd due to hunger and sleep deprivation.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to blogs of fansubbers - not the actual fansub site itself - but the fansubber of a Typemoon based group wrote some insightful stuff about the episode and his choice of translation.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Thoroughly enjoyed episode two, committed to watching this series to the end.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode, but I really didn't take to the second. The protagonist is turning into one of my grate anime pet peeves, as he is now seemingly incapable of shutting up. It really grates on my when characters not only cannot stay quiet for two seconds, but I hate it when they are also prone to ridiculous emotional outbursts. I also did not realize that this was going to focus on battles as I don't really have any interest in that kind of show.

This may be the first thing I drop.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
The third eppie may be a make or break for me. So far I'm not bonding with this show. Mainly because there is no character that I particularly like or am interested in following. If I still feel that same way after the third, it may be time to wheel out the ax.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21