• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accel World (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
It might sound weird saying this after just two episodes, but I'm not sure how enthusiastic I would be about this one being a two cour show. I thought the premise was interesting to begin with but I'm not sure how much mileage they can get out of it, 24 episodes might be a bit of a push. I'm seeing conflicting reports over the length, ANN has it at 12, some 'other sites' have it at 24.

Of course some helpful manga reader will pop in and say 'Oh, they've got plenty of material to cover' but like I said, my interest for this one can only stretch so far. If it was the usual 12/13 episode shenanigans then I'd be obliged to look at it in a more forgiving light, but a show has to have something special for me to want to watch it for half a year.

Does anyone with far more knowledge of japanese television scheduling than I know how long this one is likely to run for?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

Does anyone with far more knowledge of japanese television scheduling than I know how long this one is likely to run for?

I believe 12 is the default setting for episode counts for ANN. This ANN article states the show is two cour so it should be 24 episodes at least.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Great stuff, thanks for that Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
I thought the premise was interesting to begin with but I'm not sure how much mileage they can get out of it, 24 episodes might be a bit of a push.

I think its a little early to be making those kinds of statements. We have absolutely no idea where the plot is going. They've introduced the basic mechanic (the fights and how they work), but we have no idea where they're going with it.

EmbraceMe wrote:
dirkusbirkus wrote:

I believe 12 is the default setting for episode counts for ANN. This ANN article states the show is two cour so it should be 24 episodes at least.

It's 24 episodes. 8 volumes, 3 episodes each.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
Of course some helpful manga reader will pop in and say 'Oh, they've got plenty of material to cover' but like I said, my interest for this one can only stretch so far. If it was the usual 12/13 episode shenanigans then I'd be obliged to look at it in a more forgiving light, but a show has to have something special for me to want to watch it for half a year.

It's based on novel series, actually. The 11th novel just came out.

Quote:

For most shows, its the DVD/BD release information that tells you how long the show is going to be.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Man that was a long wait for episode 3. I understand the first episode was a dual episode but waiting 18 days till the next one to come out was a little too long. So our Black Lotus, Kuroyukihime, is not the perfect princess after all. I don't blame her for trying to become level 10 but I was surprised she would be the one to betray the alliance. She seemed like a goody two shoes. Anyway there was a lot of talking in this episode. We now know the motives of Kuroyukihime in getting Haruyuki to help her. It looks like his friend might be the one after the Black Lotus.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
There was definitely a scene in this episode spoiler[involving the beheading that didn't occur in the manga.] Anyways, great episode and lol'd @ "bed scene".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So our Black Lotus, Kuroyukihime, is not the perfect princess after all. I don't blame her for trying to become level 10 but I was surprised she would be the one to betray the alliance. She seemed like a goody two shoes.
Did you really think she was? She was presented as a manipulative bitch from the get-go. I'll be more disappointed if they later try to turn her into a "good person."

Did I miss where having the burst thingie turns you rich and famous? I very well could have. I find myself a lot less able to absorb plot these days...
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
dropped after episode one. mc's character design is really really bad. someone mentioned that it looks like a character from south park and i agree wholeheartedly. also, there was not a single thing about the plot or setting i found compelling at all.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So our Black Lotus, Kuroyukihime, is not the perfect princess after all. I don't blame her for trying to become level 10 but I was surprised she would be the one to betray the alliance. She seemed like a goody two shoes.
Did you really think she was? She was presented as a manipulative bitch from the get-go. I'll be more disappointed if they later try to turn her into a "good person."

Nah thought she was the genius type lol.
ggqt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
So I'm going to go out on a limb, and say this whole show is nothing but sheer self serving nonsense. The author is trying to say "fat short guys can still get a lot of girls, be cool, and the center of attention."

It's just that when the MC looks so dumb you can't help but laugh at when the show tries to be serious or pull of some form of romance.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
You know, maybe my standards have been worn down but I find this show very charming in its own way. Probably helps that I'm also a sucker for video games and coming of age stories in general (come on, look at that male lead).

I really suspect you have to be a gamer to appreciate this show-unless someone wants to correct me?

Episode 3 brought on 2 major points of interest for me, the first being spoiler[our black princess' past is revealed. I think she initially approached porky-kun to help restore her status and power, but I think she will genuinely warm up to him as the series progresses. I will be surprised if she ends up back-stabbing him all the same. ]

The second deals with the seemingly unrelated childhood friends spoiler[I think it's fairly obvious they are involved in the game world. This will be quite a shock for Porky-kun to discover, but I'm unsure of where the story will go from there. ] Keep on goin' Accel World, you're going good places.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I really suspect you have to be a gamer to appreciate this show-unless someone wants to correct me?

can't say if you have to be a gamer to enjoy this but i am a gamer(although not as much as perhaps 3-4 years ago) and do certainly not enjoy this.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I never said all gamers should enjoy this-just that you have to be one to appreciate it.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I never said all gamers should enjoy this-just that you have to be one to appreciate it.

didn't mean to come across trollish. i just don't know what kind of angle being a gamer would add to the watching experience except maybe for some references to mmorpgs or other games. dunno, might give the second episode a shot when i find the time.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
inb4 Blood- :

Episode 4: Haru enters Chiyu's back door.

amidoinitrite?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21