• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Junjō Romantica (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
Junjō Romantica (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, erotica, romance
Themes: bishounen, Intense, sexual assault, shounen-ai, yaoi

Plot Summary: Misaki is suddenly having some unexpected and odd problems. What started as a need for some college entrance exam tutoring has somehow led him to being romanced by a suave older man who also happens to be his big brother’s best friend. Confused by all of his brand new emotions, Misaki struggles to deal with his suddenly very odd life. And if that wasn’t enough, his suitor, Usami, has plenty of issues of his own. A man-child who decorates his room in giant teddy bears and toys, Usami is a famous novelist who also writes steamy boys’ love novels on the side. When Misaki cracks open one of these books and reads sentences like “Misaki licks every inch of Usami’s hot body”…well, let’s just say that all hell breaks loose.

To watch those series, you have to discard the following concerns:

1) cliche art -- and it is not universally likeable;

2) everybody visually is nearly a clone of other characters -- sometimes it is not easy to remember who is who;

3) distinct cliche archetype roles in relationships -- might be insulting to actual LGBT pairs (though this show is not for them but for female audience);

4) a lot of smokers -- repulsive as it is propaganda of often times lethal habit.

Those are part of the formulae; if you are going into this genre, you have to accept that. (My point is, however, is that the appeal of this project would be wider if it would be free of those limitations.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1