• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aquarion Logos (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote

Aquarion Logos (TV)

Genres: Action, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Mecha, Romance, Sci-Fi
Themes:

Plot Summary: Once upon a time, human voices had defined the true nature of all things, yet the invention of text changed the status quo, while creating a "Logos World" between the voice and the truth. Millennia have passed since then, advancements of civilizations have made the "Logos World" too big to control "texts." A group of young people dedicate themselves to counter chaotic "texts" with "Creative Voice Power," and among them, a boy named Akira Kaibuki living in Asagaya.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Hmm, interesting episode...it established some previously Evol related concepts while also introducing new elements. Well, the new characters might take awhile for me to get used to. The new OP theme song is kinda catchy but the choreography wasn't too impressive and I think there are some foreshadowing in it.

I guess they didn't waste time to develop parts of the 'Logos World'. The part with the chaotic text or whatever seemed kinda interesting but I think the series will have to take more time to explain that. Definitely interested in the rest of this season. That Akira guy also has a lot of potential.

Going to see how much this series will develop in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
One of the few times I intend to watch an anime while it is airing! The original Aquarion is my favorite normal anime of all time and EVOL, while losing much of what made Genesis so amazing, was a fantastic series in its own right. Logos has some new ideas including an Aquarion based on Mikono's cat, I'll definitely be interested in seeing that in action. Laughing Lets just hope they bring monsters of the week back this time.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man. I'm a huge Aquarion fan, but this is a disappointment. Main character has no character aside from being able to do anything. And where are the threesomes?

More annoyingly, though, is the "fight over a girl" conflict they've set up between Savior and Whiny. In the euphemistic world of Aquarion, Savior is a rapist, after all, but he's still going to get the girl, and Whiny is going to just be a written as a whiny unlikeable loser.

And, for a show whose portrayal of the supernatural literally surrounds the written word, would it kill them to put in subs for more of the text?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the text definitely needed more subs.

I greatly enjoyed Aquarion, and I absolutely loved Evol, but I wasn't too hyped for this one. I found the first episode pretty decent, though. Two person gattais do seem like a step down, and I'm never a fan of the shy nice girl getting heartbroken. But they've set up Akira and Maia as enemies turned lovers like Apollonius and Celiane were and I'm fine with that. We'll see how this turns out.

Also, Haruka Chisuga and a place called Shirobaco? Can't be a coincidence.
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Shocked And I thought Aquarion Evol was kind of corny and cheesy (but I always wanted to see it continue with the story line). This isn't the same kind of good corny and cheesy like you get from Samurai Flamenco. I was basically going to TWIST myself before I stopped 2/3 of the way through episode one of Logos.

That main character with his personality and looks. Laughing I sure hope the villain can break the 10 inch thick ice because he is so embarrassing to watch. And the obtrusively shy girl just adds the icing to the cake with "Em bare ass" signed on it for the straight male audience.

I did very much enjoy the Yunoha and Jin crossover though. I wanted more of that. Crying or Very sad
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
That main character with his personality and looks. Laughing

I got a kick out of him because he's basically Haru except with an obsession with being Jesus rather than water.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
I've been a huge Aquarion fan for quite a while. I loved the original series, and I loved EVOL as well. So I was really excited for this. And it was...

spoiler[EVERYTHING I COULD HAVE HOPED FOR AND MORE!!!!].

To start with, the first part (prologue):
A real lot of visual inventiveness here, with the mountains bending over to form three spaces and the barrier between them being the neck of the hourglass shaped negative space that they form when folded in on each other. The ocean with pebbly beach looked really cool as well.

I really liked seeing OG Aquarion vs EVOL Aquarion, and having the original characters interact with their own future selves both on the battlefield and in conversation. Fudou is back with his bizarre bits of wisdom as well, which was a high point for both series for me. All in all, this was a really cool time crash between old, new, and newer characters. I wonder if this will be directly related to the rest of Logos, and if so, how. I hope that it is.

And as for the second part (Logos ep 1 proper):

Logos captures everything that was great about the previous aquarions, while still bringing a lot of new things to the table and evolving from what came before. Visually, this show is a garish masterpiece both like and unlike its predecessors. I've always liked how Aquarion's designs are so bombastic and excessive while still managing to be elegant. They're always a great mix of ancient, modern, futuristic, and just plain bizarre. The original, EVOL, and now Logos were all like this, but all in their own unique way. The designs here really feel much slicker and more futuristic than its predecessors, and that really conveys the notion that this is a brave new future of Aquarion as a series and the Aquarion setting. There was a similar shift from the original to EVOL, and this continues the trend.

The character designs are really unique and interesting. I don't think I've seen anything that looks like this before, and if this is what the future of anime character design looks like, I welcome it with open arms.

I really like the musical score in this, how it varies from beatboxing to heavy metal to rap to hollywood film score, and all of these choices feel completely appropriate for the moments in which they are used.

One thing I liked about the previous series that seems to continue into this one is that despite how strange and silly a lot of what happens is (like the platonic ideal of the word 'twist' becoming corrupted and violent), it's not even stupid. There was some real subtlety and intelligence in all of that as well. I'm not quite sure what it is in this series yet, but I can tell that there is something there beneath the surface.

The characters haven't gotten much development yet, but they seem to be cool new spins on familiar personalities. I don't much care for the girl with the brown hair who constantly stumbles over all her words, but let's see where that goes. The 'savior' guy is interesting in that he has confidence and cockiness of a different sort than Apollo or Kagura. One thing I do like is that like in the previous series, while the 'enemy' side has a leader whose intentions seem pretty unambiguously evil, their followers and their motives are much more sympathetic. I really want to see what this conflict is really about.

All in all, this one has me the most excited of anything this season, and I can't wait for the next episode.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Something that bugged me about the Evol special is that the Evol team kept getting their asses beat by the original. Cross overs like these often run the risk of one side looking pathetic next to another and I feel like that happened here (I recently beat Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright and that did well to avoid it).

Oh well, it's still nice to know love lives on!
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
what a real let down for all the hype going around, stick to the previous two and the songs were better aswell in the prequels. Even tough i luv May'n music this was pretty poor
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Whoa, Maia is somewhat badass. At least this episode anyways..

Second half was more sillier than I had thought. Kinda felt bad for Maia for being worked lol. This one was okay I guess as the pacing picked up with Maia. I liked the previous episode although the action was alright with Akira and Maia in action.

Hoping the show will reveal more about the Logos world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping that the crossover between the original series and EVOL was going to be the overall plot of the series. I'm still on the fence about Logos. I'm not too fond of the character designs, but that's never stopped me from watching or liking a series.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I really like Maia's character.

I like how upon seeing more of the world she quickly came to the definitive conclusion that some of Sougon's methodologies and the effects of what he's doing are wrong, but didn't reject him and his side. For now she's still on Sougon's side, but disagrees with him about some things. Akira was right in the beginning about her not acting on her own will, and I think that it's really cool to see her truly take that to heart and act on her own will. She's now her own agent, with her ideology not completely aligned with Sougon's but also not aligned with Deava and Akira either.
leep

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Highly disappointed by this series so far. Was expecting at least some sort of continuation of the Aquarion storyline established in the the original and Evol, instead got some generic plot mecha anime that has nothing to do with the Aquarion name. Episode 1 was a bit confusing as it combined the special Aquarion Evol OVA with ep1 of LOGOS, made people think that LOGOS had some connection with the Aquarion story other just the name.

Give this 2 out of 5.
+interesting mecha design
+good use of CGI
-bad use of Aquarion name to fish in viewers
-no continuation of previously established story
-1/4 dimensional evil guy behind curtains as primary villain
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Savior is a rapist

This did not happen, I just watched the first episode. Speaking of which, it felt very similar to Genesis, but hey, at least monsters of the week are finally back!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1