• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haiyoru! Nyaruani / Nyaruko-san: Another Crawling Chaos (ONA/TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote

Haiyoru! Nyaruani (ONA)
Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Love (Mr. Peacecraft) (TV)
Nyaruko-san: Another Crawling Chaos (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy, romance, science fiction
Themes: aliens, ecchi, harem, parody, unrequited love

Plot Summary: "I'm Nyarlathotep, the creeping chaos always smiling beside you." But you can call her Nyaruko for short. One by one, the Great Ones from the Cthulhu mythos are coming to earth to target Nyaruko and her human friend Mahiro. He's utterly clueless about the true nature of his cosmic conflict and just wants to live in peace.
----------------------------------

Watching the first 6 episodes of this left me feeling a bit dense.

Could someone explain for me what the point of this is? I get the feeling there is some sense of humor here I don't get. The little bit I do is LAME.

Although I kind of like the art style I am pretty turned off with the lack of animation. The only motion that occurs is in the credits. I think after that all the in-betweeners went on strike.

So what's the deal?

[EDIT: I have no idea if you're referring to the ONA or TV series, so I put both links in there just for clear up any obscurity. -TK]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
The two series prior to the upcoming adaptation were just flash animated shorts that were basically just for quick gags. Whereas the upcoming anime seems to be animating content from the light novel source so it'll be more like what you're used to in terms of a supernatural shounen romance/comedy/whatever show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
For a second I thought you bringing up the upcoming show, I would call them out on basically trolling with that earlier stuff. First flashes were a bit off woth quirky stuff I assume you had to be more familiar of the series to get. And the more recent ones knew what they were doing in having one where they teased what was hapening while you just saw the pet the entire time, an ED that actually looked pretty good, and a weird bit in space that said something was coming.

Finally we will have a proper season coming up, despite probably not understanding it all prior, but enjoying the jokes I am really looking forward to it. About 6 days left.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
I saw a bit of one of the versions of this, not totally sure which. The premise sounded like it could be funny, but I was completely lost by show. The anime shorts seemed to assume I was familiar with the Light Novels already. I did find a joke about a "Lovecraft Plus" dating game kind of funny, but didn't really care for the show much. Partially because it felt like they were just adapting a handful of random scenes from a much larger work.

If the new version streaming on Crunchyroll this season is a full length show that actually adapts the Light Novels in a more normal fashion, I might have to check it out. Lovecraftian cosmic horrors seem like the worst possible candidates for being turned into cute anime girls, but there's something audacious about just such a premise that makes me feel I should give it at least one episode to win me over.

EDIT: Looks like crunchyroll is streaming the earlier series as well, all listed under the new series, and it's not totally clear what is what. Hmm.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
As long as the fork thing wasn't just created for the shorts, I'm sure it'll all be fine.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
As long as the fork thing wasn't just created for the shorts, I'm sure it'll all be fine.

This trailer seems to confirm it with him threatening her with a fork at around 1:29.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
[EDIT: I have no idea if you're referring to the ONA or TV series, so I put both links in there just for clear up any obscurity. -TK]

Well I did say I was clueless. Still am.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Quote:
EDIT: I have no idea if you're referring to the ONA or TV series, so I put both links in there just for clear up any obscurity. -TK]

Well I did say I was clueless. Still am.

Did some checking, and perhaps I can provide some clues now.

There are currently 3 anime series (I use the term "series" loosely here) that have adapted the original Light Novels in some fashion.

An ONA called "Haiyoru! Nyaruani" that consisted of 9 super short stories, released in early 2010. It had limited animation, and was clearly designed for those who were already familiar with the novels.

A TV series called "Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Mr. Lovecraft" that consisted of 12 slightly longer but still super short stories, released in late 2010. It seems pretty similar to the ONA, with limited animation and clearly being once again designed for those already familiar with the Light Novels.

A new TV series called "Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos" which I believe will be a normal length anime series that adopts the Light Novels in a more traditional fashion, and which will be airing in a few days on April 9th. Unlike the other series which were a collection of random scenes, this series seems like it will actually be comprehensible to those who have not read the source material. Though I could be wrong and it could be just another collection of random shorts, we'll see.

Crunchyroll is going to be streaming the new series as one of it's Spring simulcasts. But they have also apparently gotten the rights to the first two series as well, and have already put them up. But for some reason, rather than listing them separately, they just stuck the episodes into the "Another Crawling Chaos" series page.

That's why you'll see a bunch of episodes on that page already, including multiple episode 1/2/3/etc, because both the ONA and the first TV series are there. Though the episodes are all listed on the main page as being part of "Another Crawling Chaos", if you hover over them with your mouse or go to the episodes themselves, they will correctly identify themselves as either the "Haiyoru! Nyaruani (ONA)" or the "Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Mr. Lovecraft" tv series.

If you have any interest in the series, I'd recommend not bothering to watch either of those now. Instead, wait till the new series comes out on April 9th, and see if it's actually something a newbie can understand.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ok. all 3 related anime are in the opening post, now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I know that ANN Encylopedia says there are 9 episodes of the Haiyoru! Nyaruani ONA, but CR only has 8 of them on its site, so I'm not sure who to believe. Anyway, I find it a cute little ... thing ... and the shorts have whetted my appetite for the upcoming series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1
I thought I would love it, and I loved it, can't help but find Nyaruko to be totally awesome character, she dances around in her own character type acting like the magical girlfriend she should be, switching between a law keeper and dirty agent looking out for herself, and a somewhat sadistic monster. Downside might be that we do not see her get the fork like we saw in the shorts, but extra points for the fact she can break the fourth wall.

parody elements are for the most part restrained, although heavy when she did her spoiler[pokemon routine, only to reveal there was never really any hope in it working, and presumable only did it because it is "cute".] Of course nothing shows how unnecesary she is like her brutal battle style with a spoiler[crowbar, some sort of sharp, and going for the nads.] Wondering how they would play up the cooking, with the reveal that it was spoiler[something she could not tell him].

I am going to so enjoy this run.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't high on the this show based on the previews, but I enjoyed the first episode. I am getting a lot of Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens vibe from the first episode, an anime that I loved. So I have big hopes this series will be similar.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
My Eldritch Abomination Can't Be This Cute!

Then again, it's Nyarlathotep we're talking about.... I think it (was it a a male?) has 1000 different forms.

Rather than a serious adaption of the Cthulhu Mythos we're presented a slapstick romantic comedy about the cosmic horrors from beyond. Damn it, Japan! Why did you make this?! It was hilarious! The few references I picked up made me chuckle and Nyarko's behavior made the show fun to watch. I really enjoyed the Kamen Rider Den-O line reference and the Pokemon battle that occurred. Nyarko is totally waifu material and her presense brings many laughs into this show.

The show didn't fail to entertain me but i think Lovecraft would be rolling in his grave for the moeification of the Eldritch Abominations.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder about the population of "space"(or at least the size thereof) if there's enough space weaboos to sustain space mob anime space smuggling. Or maybe it's just space Nyaruko.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Surely the statement was meant to be broader than just LN, manga, etc.

Otherwise Canada would have to be some kind of central galactic policing zone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14