• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Polar Bear's Café TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
CrunchyRoll is likely picking up these short titles because they're cheap ...

Except Crunchyroll is not a DVD distributor, picking and choosing which titles it wants ~ it expresses an interest in everything and it streams whatever the original rights holder agrees to license to Crunchyroll.

So we know "why" Crunchyroll picks up these short titles ~ because the people licensing the short titles looked at the MG, royalty rates, and the cost of servicing the stream, and decided to grant the license.

As far as why the MG is high enough to get them to agree ~ that would be because some people watch the series.

It may be that the first one or two were experiments on Crunchyroll's part, but by now they have had enough that they should have a reasonable idea what kind of viewership they can expect and therefore what kind of MG's they can offer that assure break-even or better on average for the short form licenses.

And since nobody else is in that market, they get no muss, no fuss, global outside of Japan licenses for them. Even with their big increase in R3 streaming licenses this season, all of the full-season series except Rock Lee are anime members only, and you still want to have some free ad-streaming content to get people to start coming to the site.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that's the most interesting title. last time it was Neko Ramen (which I got a kick out of) now a cafe with bears. I may have to check this out.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Wish Sentai or Nis would pick this up im really enjoying it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2