• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Infinite Stratos + Encore Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
configspace wrote:
While it did great in Japan, I have a feeling it will do pretty good, or good enough in the US and judging from our Taiwanese friend earlier, elsewhere as well Laughing

Well right now it is sitting 7 on the Top sellers for anime BD's on Amazon so I guess it is doing alright for itself. I'm sure it is dong okay for RightStuf and RACS.

RACS sold out completely according to their news letter. They also stated Sentai had to order another print run. So I guess it should be doing pretty well.

Personally, whether or not you like this show, I think you should be rooting for it to do well. If it does, Sentai might be more inclined to include the level of extra features it did on other series.

I want it to do well for Sentai, did not care for the show myself and not going to purchase it, but I still want it to be a good seller for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah right, dtm42 reacts to the single episode he saw as if it was one of the worst show's ever created, yet I'm the one over-reacting? Rolling Eyes What ever you say, dude.

I also thought it was a complete turd based on the first ep (IIRC I gave it a 1.5 in that Preview Guide). Notice that I didn't rate it too much higher than that in this review, and I thought about giving it an even lower grade; for me, the only thing keeping the writing score above a D is that I actually liked some of the Charlotte/Ichika interactions. Thus I think it's fantastically unlikely that dtm42 would have had his opinion changed by watching any more of the series, so in this case I'm totally fine with the spot judgment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Its not surprising that most American fans "just don't get it", but this is one of those shows that the Japanese will love. It did everything right in pandering.

Given how well it's selling, clearly some American fans do "get it". This show is popular with the /a/ and /jp/ crowd I'll bet.

Well yeah, it was the 2nd most talked about show of Winter 2011 on /a/ (only Madoka beat it), and they still have popular general topics about it these days for people who read the novel. /a/ is kinda like the target demographic of this show.

And while I'm not a huge fan of it (I think its above average harem but there are still better ones out there), probably the best thing to come out of it is the major doujin scene... thats another thing a lot of Americans don't seem to care as much about.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Its not surprising that most American fans "just don't get it", but this is one of those shows that the Japanese will love. It did everything right in pandering.

Given how well it's selling, clearly some American fans do "get it". This show is popular with the /a/ and /jp/ crowd I'll bet.

Well yeah, it was the 2nd most talked about show of Winter 2011 on /a/ (only Madoka beat it), and they still have popular general topics about it these days for people who read the novel. /a/ is kinda like the target demographic of this show.

And while I'm not a huge fan of it (I think its above average harem but there are still better ones out there), probably the best thing to come out of it is the major doujin scene... thats another thing a lot of Americans don't seem to care as much about.

I don't care much about doujins as they tend to not be that interesting. And if you have a non-standard sexuality (you are talkin about H-Doujins, right?), you can kiss any chance of a doujin that interested you goodbye.

I honestly wish America had even a small doujin scene, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Yeah right, dtm42 reacts to the single episode he saw as if it was one of the worst show's ever created, yet I'm the one over-reacting? Rolling Eyes What ever you say, dude.

I also thought it was a complete turd based on the first ep (IIRC I gave it a 1.5 in that Preview Guide). Notice that I didn't rate it too much higher than that in this review, and I thought about giving it an even lower grade; for me, the only thing keeping the writing score above a D is that I actually liked some of the Charlotte/Ichika interactions. Thus I think it's fantastically unlikely that dtm42 would have had his opinion changed by watching any more of the series, so in this case I'm totally fine with the spot judgment.

I'm pretty confident that dtm42's attitude wouldn't change either, but that's irrelevant to my point. Based on his comments, I would have to assume he would have scored the first episode 0 out of 5. He reacted to it like the show snapped his pet puppy's neck. I consider that an over-reaction to a fluffy show. And again, in the context of a light comedy, bitching about the "science" is just absurd.

Last edited by Blood- on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Your grade for the first episode of IS was 2.5. For PMMM it was 3. One got better and the other didn't. Being "spot on" about the whole thing from watching the first episode is an argument that can only be made in retrospect.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For the record, I also had a big problem with the more scientific aspects you mentioned. The emphasis placed on "shields" suggests that invisible force field-like projections are protecting the pilot, but this is still more magic than technology.
Am I the only person who was intensely bored any time this show started trying to do anything remotely serious with the plot or the science? It was just so painfully bad. Even the action scenes, while very pretty, bored me to death because I never felt like there was anything important riding on them.

I made a joke to the guy who talked me into watching IS that I was going to write a ten page genre analysis (and how IS uses some tropes to unusual extremes) and essay on the sociopolitical commentary one could find in IS because besides the funny-because-it's-dumb harem humor I was struggling to find something to hold my interest in several of the starting/ending episodes. I never wrote that essay, but I did think about it, because those episodes gave me plenty of time to think about things more interesting than the plot!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed IS as a silly vapid harem show, and I knew that's what it was going into it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
And there's nothing to "get". It's a generic harem show with a dense protagonist and mecha shoved in. You harems fans always act like there's some special thing about harems that us other people just don't get. That's not it. We just don't like them.

I like harem anime when the protagonist and female cast doesn't annoy me with how unlikeable they are. Ladies Versus Butlers and Qwaser are good examples for what I want harem anime to do, Mayo Chiki and IS aren't. If you're going to have girls falling for a guy, at least have the common courtesy to fill it with nudity and raunch. I'm more offended by shows that have characters falling into ecchi situations with zero payoff, which hurt Korean Zombie and the first series of To Love-Ru. At least TLRD recovers the fumble and brings the story to new places.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
And there's nothing to "get". It's a generic harem show with a dense protagonist and mecha shoved in. You harems fans always act like there's some special thing about harems that us other people just don't get. That's not it. We just don't like them.

I like harem anime when the protagonist and female cast doesn't annoy me with how unlikeable they are. Ladies Versus Butlers and Qwaser are good examples for what I want harem anime to do, Mayo Chiki and IS aren't. If you're going to have girls falling for a guy, at least have the common courtesy to fill it with nudity and raunch.

Ironically enough, Mayo Chiki was my favorite harem/romcom of 2011 (though both IS and May Chiki had uncensored nudity on BD). I find it better when there are very limited nude scenes since it makes them more impactful, instead of just having constant nude scenes every episode... and these types of series often develop the characters better to. Like Subaru and Masamune were far more developed (though they kinda altered Masamunes story too much in the anime since in the original light novel she spoiler[ tried to commit suicide and the MC stopped her and helped her get her life on track]) than any LvB or Qwaser character were.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I like harem anime when the protagonist and female cast doesn't annoy me with how unlikeable they are. Ladies Versus Butlers and Qwaser are good examples for what I want harem anime to do, Mayo Chiki and IS aren't. If you're going to have girls falling for a guy, at least have the common courtesy to fill it with nudity and raunch. I'm more offended by shows that have characters falling into ecchi situations with zero payoff, which hurt Korean Zombie and the first series of To Love-Ru. At least TLRD recovers the fumble and brings the story to new places.

hey now mayochiki was fun becasue the male lead fights off and choose the girl he wants to ****. Given the light novel situation... spoiler[he has sex with her] but unless you click the spoiler you will never know that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I found the first episode of Infinite Stratos to be so incredibly offensive I struggled to make it to the end (of the episode).
And as usual, the dtm42 Crystal Ball (tm) somehow knows as much or more than people who actually watched the series.
Quote:
or the general level of writing which was so akin to garbage it reeked of a hobo who's spent the past decade in a sewer.
Given how often you throw around claims like "awful writing" without anything specific to back them up, I have to conclude that it means "stuff happens that I didn't like."

Quote:
The show deserves to be consigned to the museum of nineteenth-century torture devices, as it is so out-of-date that you'd have to go back to the eighteenth century just to find the last time any of the show's crappy elements were considered half-way fresh.
And of course, every single last one of those elements was on display in that one episode?

Quote:
Where're the helmets? Where're the goggles? Where're the pressure suits and oxygen masks? The pilot is exposed to the elements and to enemy attacks, which is crazy. And did you notice that all the weight of the mecha's arms and its weapons are being held up with the pilot's own arms and not the arms of the mecha itself? Wow, those girls must be really capable of pumping iron if they can take the recoil of those big guns and swing the giant swords with that much force using their own flesh-and-blood arms.
So unsheltered flight is bad, but huge bipedal mechas (which would collapse under their own weight as per the Square Cube Law, and are impractical from a military standpoint) in other shows like Gasaraki, your all-time favorite RahXephon, Gundam, Evangelion, etc. are completely okay?

Quote:
I was too busy being blown away by Puella Magi Madoka Magica (they both aired in the same season)
Which of course is 100% realistic and scientifically plausible, right?

As I said in my previous post, I won't pretend IS is an all-time great anime or anywhere close to it. But these criticisms based on one single episode and arbitrarily selective standards are close to absurd.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So unsheltered flight is bad, but huge bipedal mechas (which would collapse under their own weight as per the Square Cube Law, and are impractical from a military standpoint) in other shows like Gasaraki, your all-time favorite RahXephon, Gundam, Evangelion, etc. are completely okay?

I don't think that's his point. His point is that the Mecha in IS are funtionally ridiculous and them working correctly is practically dependent on magic, which sticks out sorely in a work trying to be a midly-serious sci-fi work.

Other works like Eva, Gundam, hell, even Gurren Lagann have onsistent in-story reasons for why their mecha work. The reasons may not e scientific at all, but that matters less than consistency. Apparently IS does not even come up with a Techno-babble explination.

Also, the sheer idea that "only girls can pilot" them is ridiculous. And the MC gets to be the only male who can? Can we say "Mary Sue"?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

I don't think that's his point. His point is that the Mecha in IS are funtionally ridiculous and them working correctly is practically dependent on magic, which sticks out sorely in a work trying to be a midly-serious sci-fi work.

Other works like Eva, Gundam, hell, even Gurren Lagann have onsistent in-story reasons for why their mecha work. The reasons may not e scientific at all, but that matters less than consistency. Apparently IS does not even come up with a Techno-babble explination.

Also, the sheer idea that "only girls can pilot" them is ridiculous. And the MC gets to be the only male who can? Can we say "Mary Sue"?

It was a writers poor choice and I will just go ahead by spoiling somethings. Any gender can pilot an IS they government just programmed them for females to use that negates your Mary-sue argument for the m.c. He just got a random luck roll of dice is all since his sister was a former pilot that's it nothing else is special about it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
That raises the question of why the government would arbitrarily restrict use of the IS to one gender. Or why they would all of a sudden let Ichika pilot one.

Good god, this show has more plot holes than my old Pokemon fanfics!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
You not knowing the story the novels cover beyond the end of the anime is not a plot hole of the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9