Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts 3D Sells 213,579 in 1st Week




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sainta



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 936

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Nice! That's pretty good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soundmonkey44



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 1243

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to picking this up when it comes stateside, Kingdom Hearts is really the only modern game series I care about aside from Disgaea & the rest of NISA's stuff (what can I say outside of RPG's and the stuff I grew up with as a kid, i'm just not much of a gamer these days.) Razz

But yeah, glad its doing well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1448
Location: Home of the Only Canadian MLB Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Nice! That's pretty good


No it's not, that's actually the worst debut for a major Kingdom Hearts game in the history of the series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sainta



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 936

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
sainta wrote:
Nice! That's pretty good


No it's not, that's actually the worst debut for a major Kingdom Hearts game in the history of the series.


It's the Nintendo 3DS, not the PSP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anime10121



Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
sainta wrote:
Nice! That's pretty good


No it's not, that's actually the worst debut for a major Kingdom Hearts game in the history of the series.
Yeah but its also on a console that has only 5-6 mil units sold in Japan so far whereas the PSP had 14 million and the DS had 25 million sold at the time of BBS and 358 days releases respectively.

Also take into account that KH3D had the fourth top first week sales count out of all of the 3DS' current games. Only Mario 3D land, Mario Kart, and Monster Hunter have sold more on their first week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1448
Location: Home of the Only Canadian MLB Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Primus wrote:
sainta wrote:
Nice! That's pretty good


No it's not, that's actually the worst debut for a major Kingdom Hearts game in the history of the series.


It's the Nintendo 3DS, not the PSP


Then why isn't the game on PSP?

These are poor results. Kingdom Hearts games do not have legs either. This will be the worst selling entry in the main series.

The hope for DDD is internationally, where Birth By Sleep (by virtue of it being on a dead platform) cratered. The problem it faces is that the 3DS is more popular and successful in Japan than outside of it. If it failed in Japan, it's not looking at a bright future out of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Then why isn't the game on PSP?


I'm gonna guess because it's 3D game and PSP doesn't do 3D, licensing, and the Kingdom series isn't known for doing cross-platform releases at game launch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1448
Location: Home of the Only Canadian MLB Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Primus wrote:

Then why isn't the game on PSP?


I'm gonna guess because it's 3D game and PSP doesn't do 3D, licensing, and the Kingdom series isn't known for doing cross-platform releases at game launch.


3D doesn't affect gameplay in a game like this, so I'm not sure how that plays a role.

Unless DDD somehow keeps going I'd fully expect that game to be ported somewhere soon. Be it Vita, or PS3 in a dual pack with BBS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if it affects gameplay or not, 3D is a selling point for the game and a reason why it's debuted on the 3DS but not the PSP.

As I already said the Kingdom series doesn't really do mufti-platform launches. They usually build a game for a single system and then port it if there is a demand well after launch. I wouldn't go expecting the game to be ported if the sales for the 3DS game is as bad as you say.

Anywhooooo. I recognize a rant when I see one. No amount reason is going to slow you down. Don't mind me any further.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1448
Location: Home of the Only Canadian MLB Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I don't care if it affects gameplay or not, 3D is a selling point for the game and a reason why it's debuted on the 3DS but not the PSP.

As I already said the Kingdom series doesn't really do mufti-platform launches. They usually build a game for a single system and then port it if there is a demand well after launch. I wouldn't go expecting the game to be ported if the sales for the 3DS game is as bad as you say.

Anywhooooo. I recognize a rant when I see one. No amount reason is going to slow you down. Don't mind me any further.


You shouldn't bail out, I was going to make a point how both of Square Enix's other major Japanese franchises (Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest) are going multiplatform. FFXIII, and Dragon Quest X either launched or will launch on more than 1 platform. Things change.

I think the real problem is that Square Enix has been dicking around with spinoffs on so many different platforms. They haven't chosen one and stuck with it. It's also been so many years since KH2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group