• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote

Medaka Box

I hate writing plot summaries so I'll shameless steal the text from the Anime Spotlight:

Quote:
The beautiful and invincible student council president, Medaka Kurokami, is solving problems!

The 98th Student Council President at Hakoniwa Academy, Medaka Kurokami of Class 1-13, established a complaints box just as she promised during her election campaign. “Your dreams belong to you. Challenge them yourselves, and realize them on your own. However, your troubles belong to me. Offer up every last one unto me!!”

Together with her childhood friend, Zenkichi Hitoyoshi, Medaka resolves every complaint filed by the students. The complaint box soon became known as “Medaka Box”, and became very popular among the students.

What you need to know: This series is based on a manga written by NisiOisin and Gainax is the animation production company in charge.

Episode 1

Effin' loved it! Humour, fanservice, story-telling, and characters are all working big time for me. As with all NisiOisin material, there is a complete awareness of tropes being deployed and fresh spins on such. I am this show's helpless little bitch.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Not too bad. This looks like it'll be a pretty faitful adaption of the source material and a couple of images showing THAT character in the opening are proof spoiler[ the action side of the series will stay in tact]

A word of warning though. spoiler[Anyone watching this series expecting a romantic comedy....you may want to leave now. ]

Last edited by Divineking on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
Can I ask a favour of manga readers out there? When I watch an anime, I want to know zero about it as I watch. I'd appreciate the hell out of it if you would put all info ... regardless of how trivial you may think it to be ... in spoiler tags. Thanks.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Can I ask a favour of manga readers out there? When I watch an anime, I want to know zero about it as I watch. I'd appreciate the hell out of it if you would put all info ... regardless of how trivial you may think it to be ... in spoiler tags. Thanks.

Sorry. Just trying to give fair warning in advance.
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Not too bad. This looks like it'll be a pretty faitful adaption of the source material and a couple of images showing THAT character in the opening are proof spoiler[ the action side of the series will stay in tact]

A word of warning though. spoiler[Anyone watching this series expecting a romantic comedy....you may want to leave now.]

Another unrequited love, I presume? That's too bad.

I liked the first episode. I did not quite like how it ended, I'm not sure why. Something felt off. But the episode was good. I laughed when Zenkichi called himself spoiler[a tsundere]. My only concern right now is how it will differ from SKET Dance, which I also follow. Both circle around the idea of people with expendable time dedicated to helping other students of the school. While the characters are totally different, since the plot is the same, I might find difficulty not comparing the two. Not to mention both play on humor above everything else.

This one I'll definitely keep watching.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
4750G wrote:
Divineking wrote:

A word of warning though. spoiler[Anyone watching this series expecting a romantic comedy....you may want to leave now.]

Another unrequited love, I presume? That's too bad.

Actually it;s more along the lines of spoiler[ a rather massive genre shift ].

I should probably stop for now. You'll see for yourselves eventually.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Yeah, but I don't want ANY warnings, fair or not. I don't want manga readers deciding for me what may or may not be important to ME. If you want to give out information, simply put it underneath spoiler tags. That's all I'm asking for and I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

You still haven't spoiler tagged your original post, so I've reported and hopefully an admin or mod will add the tags. This is why I really despise rude manga readers.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Yeah, but I don't want ANY warnings, fair or not. I don't want manga readers deciding for me what may or may not be important to ME. If you want to give out information, simply put it underneath spoiler tags. That's all I'm asking for and I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

You still haven't spoiler tagged your original post, so I've reported and hopefully an admin or mod will add the tags. This is why I really despise rude manga readers.

Fixed.

Again I'm sorry. Didn;t know you wanted the last part of it spoiler tagged(assumed the first one was enough). I'll chill.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Finally a show that I am likely to watch this season, well it probably just feels amazing after watching half of that Rock Lee cr@p. Yeah this hits my spots in a few places, the little ecchi bits did not even seem extreme enough to throw me off. Already know my favourite character of the show with Shiranui, definetly the type of character I enjoy, yay for comic relief loli.

Hey did anyone else think that one blue haird guy was Kamina, seems he had the same voice too, he was totally an expy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
@ Divineking - thank you. Sorry for being snippy about this, it's just a pet peeve of mine. For the record, I didn't consider the info you passed on to be a huge spoiler, it was just more of a hint about the direction of the series than I wanted to know. I made a bit of issue of this more to prevent possibly more serious infractions in the future by other people.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Effin' loved it! Humour, fanservice, story-telling, and characters are all working big time for me. As with all NisiOisin material, there is a complete awareness of tropes being deployed and fresh spins on such. I am this show's helpless little bitch.

If you like spins on tropes you seriously need to read the manga after the anime is finished. The second major arc of the manga you can tell Nisio is having way too much fun with this manga through a certain character. The chances of said arc never being animated is just a travesty... imagine if the Kyoto arc for Kenshin was never animated!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Dammit, show. I'm completely uninterested, except for one cut at the end of the opener. And now I'm watching. *sigh*

Major Haruhi vibes from President Cleavage.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Major Haruhi vibes from President Cleavage.

As was no doubt intended from the start. Major difference so far is that Medaka's prodigious energy appears to be directed at helping others as opposed to Haruhi's desperate and self-centred attempts to ward off boredom and her own fear of personal insignificance.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As was no doubt intended from the start. Major difference so far is that Medaka's prodigious energy appears to be directed at helping others as opposed to Haruhi's desperate and self-centred attempts to ward off boredom and her own fear of personal insignificance.
No doubt. And yet it makes no difference in how boring I find her. And unfortunately, these other characters aren't really doing much lifting, which is what made Haruhi tolerable for me. I hope I can stick with it, because I know that there will be things I like from this creative team, but it's a bit tough right now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I should mention I'm a huge Haruhi fan. Kon can go take his pissy little snideness and constipated, joy-sucking attitude towards life and go pound sand. The other characters are amusing to various degrees but that show is nothing without Haruhi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18