• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that ending of episode 11. It's almost like a preview of a potential season 3 next time. Shit went down at the end there.

Now, I'm wondering exactly what's going to happen next. spoiler["It's not my fault"? ] Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
well i certainly didn't expect to see everyone on the first floor literallyspoiler[screwed to the wall]. that was certainly surprising. why is kumagawa's dialogue always in half brackets, or is that just something FFF uses?
Skullface

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
why is kumagawa's dialogue always in half brackets, or is that just something FFF uses?

FFF is a sub group from what it looks like? But anyway the reason Kumagawa's dialogue in the manga is always in brackets is spoiler[he is a pathological liar and those are supposed to help reflect that he could always be lying.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
oh, ok. thanks, that make sense
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
The brackets are Japanese quotation marks. You can interpret what that means on your own. Although the Japanese voice acting didn't really have anything special about it, so if the subs are adding brackets that's just because they read the manga.
kaydub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[NABESHIMA DIED?!?]

Srsly though, that was a great episode until I realized that. Felt a little short though, I kinda wish there was a little more focus on Oudo's past given that he had the biggest ego of the bunch. I didn't like the fact that his backstory was pretty much just spoiler["Oh, he wanted to use his powers for good, but then he inexplicably turned bad, fast forward to present].

Can't wait for next weeks episode, though I am a bit sad that it's the last of the season. Abnormal has been much better than the first season.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:
Felt a little short though, I kinda wish there was a little more focus on Oudo's past given that he had the biggest ego of the bunch. I didn't like the fact that his backstory was pretty much just spoiler["Oh, he wanted to use his powers for good, but then he inexplicably turned bad, fast forward to present].

Oudo's thing is that he lacks self-control. Despite his power that gives him complete control over others, the one thing he lacks is control over himself. This is supposed to be, you know, ironic. It's also why he's participating in the Flask Plan. Despite his arrogance, deep down he knows that he's imperfect, which is why he wants to perfect himself. He hoped that the Flask Plan would let him complete his power and finally achieve the self-control needed to be a benevolent ruler instead of a tyrant. It's also why he's so shocked by Medaka. She took his power and used it to control herself and her own impulses (Altered God Mode), which is something he could never do. Her "playing around" stomps all over everything he staked his life to achieve.
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 12: Everything was going well so I felt no need to comment... until now. Episode 11 ended at chapter 55 of the manga, yet they chose tospoiler[ follow it up by making references to chapter 128.5 which is a side story about Kumagawa. The only people who have any idea what is going on are those who read the manga. This episode is just one big spoiler.] How could the animators think this is a good idea? I can't help but think we're getting trolled here. In the comments on Crunchyroll and the only thing anyone could say is "well, uh, that was interesting". I don't think this is the intended reaction but I'm curious to hear what those who haven't read the manga think about this finale to season 2.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
Personally I think it's a great idea. The anime's not gonna get a continuation anyway, so might as well give the fans who stuck with it what they want. Kumagawa's the most popular character by a large margin after all. In another sense you could say this episode is exactly why the anime was made in the first place.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to judge it as an anime-only viewer, but I really don't think it was made with them in mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (final)

Well that was very strange, strange for a number of reasons. It seems they decided not to continue with the conflict that season 2 seems to have been centered around, and instead we ended up with one big.... the word that comes to mind is "abnormality". Whether that is intentional seems like a difficult question, but it sounds like a good gimick.

This episode is like an anti-thesis of the series and Medaka herself, and being Medaka's opposite, Kumagawa seems to be in essence the exact opposite of Medaka. While a powerful hero like Medaka makes sense as a main hero, the Good Loser Kumagawa seems to be anything but make sense. spoiler[His reasonings are insane, he contradicts himself, he is self destructive, and he has a stupid look on hi face that changes at strange intervals to reveal malice hidden behind his nonsensical acts. While Medaka seems to be known to win at every, Kumagawa apparently loses, under that thought I might even say that it plays on the idea of learning more when you lose than by winning, by the fact that Medaka is a perfect learner].

Medaka's power fits into being like the perfect hero, she can spoiler[learn her opponent moves and change her own body into near perfection. But Kumagawa's power goes the very opposite in that he can apparently change reallity, altering the fiction of the universe he is in, although he still apparently loses]. I do hope he does not kill the people when he screws them, but the series has so far avoided answering. I also noticed that his female friend shares some comparisons to Zenkichi, I think the choice of having her spoiler[hair changed to blonde suddenly was meant to capitalize on it. It seems to play further as while Zenkichi tries to act tough at heart he is a good guy, while we are shown that Kumagawa's looks innocent but has some dark side underneath, and she was shown to be no combative to Zenkichi being a fighter.]

I am further interested by another new character refered to as Anshinin, who I am guessing is an opposite of some kind to Shiranui, both seem to hold a type of rivalry to their respective characters. But there is difference in that Anshinin is already spoiler[vice-president while Shiranui declined the offer]. Man her hair was long, a possible play on Shiranui's short hair, and she was very open in the fourth wall beginning of this episode while Shiranui is rather secretive.

It was a very strange episode to finish on, but I did enjoy Medaka Box Abnormal, although again weird it feels like it is a stupid abnormal episode to finish on, but the idea that this is a possib;e teaser to another season makes me more forgiving. I found Oudo originally a bit too evil and overpowered to be an enjoyable villain, but when I started to look at it as a deconstruction of the shounen genre I did appreciate the themes that they used. Earlier I may have not planned to get the first season if it came out, but now I am pretty confident that I would by both seasons.

If there will not be another season I am a little sad, I would rather not have to read the manga, I don't like reading manga online, and even if I could get it in physical release, I would expect having to buy a lot. Actually the idea of it ending right there with the words "The End" while it is in a cliffhanger position just makes me feel so hollow, like when I first had some of my old favourite shows end. I had gotten so used to shows having closure that it just has a feeling of undoing ways I taught myself in fully enjoying finished shows.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I also noticed that his female friend shares some comparisons to Zenkichi, I think the choice of having her spoiler[hair changed to blonde suddenly was meant to capitalize on it. It seems to play further as while Zenkichi tries to act tough at heart he is a good guy, while we are shown that Kumagawa's looks innocent but has some dark side underneath, and she was shown to be no combative to Zenkichi being a fighter.]

I'm not sure how far you can go with such a comparison other than "the normal person who hangs out with them to make them seem more impressive." Also, I'm not sure how you can say spoiler[she's not a fighter when she explicitly told Kumagawa that she planned on dealing with color-guy herself. While that doesn't necessarily mean fighting, she's hardly shown as helpless.] Well, in a more general sense it's just part of her double persona.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I also noticed that his female friend shares some comparisons to Zenkichi, I think the choice of having her spoiler[hair changed to blonde suddenly was meant to capitalize on it. It seems to play further as while Zenkichi tries to act tough at heart he is a good guy, while we are shown that Kumagawa's looks innocent but has some dark side underneath, and she was shown to be no combative to Zenkichi being a fighter.]

I'm not sure how far you can go with such a comparison other than "the normal person who hangs out with them to make them seem more impressive." Also, I'm not sure how you can say spoiler[she's not a fighter when she explicitly told Kumagawa that she planned on dealing with color-guy herself. While that doesn't necessarily mean fighting, she's hardly shown as helpless.] Well, in a more general sense it's just part of her double persona.

My point was that Zenkichi comes off as a bit of a punk, while the other girl tended to act like a total normal happy go lucky school girl, spoiler[worrying about her hair, being late for school, going on big emotional "what", being worried about the guy. But behind that facade she really is a punk with sharp teeth, scary look, and an actual fighter.]

I think it played against Zenkichi who in some respects is at his core that little kid that want to keep up with Medaka. Perhaps I am wrong thought from not seeing a lot.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
Ah, I must have misunderstood you then. I guess there can be something said about the presentation of such contrasting selves.

Miranox wrote:
In the comments on Crunchyroll and the only thing anyone could say is "well, uh, that was interesting". I don't think this is the intended reaction but I'm curious to hear what those who haven't read the manga think about this finale to season 2.

Browsing the same comments, I saw something along the lines of "How the heck did Medaka beat THAT in middle school?" Which I think is exactly the intended reaction, isn't it?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Very weird final episode.
spoiler[Nothing to do with are main characters.
Felt like watching a different, yet similar anime.
Kumagawa and Saki vs Fude.]

They demonstrated some very interesting powers.
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Browsing the same comments, I saw something along the lines of "How the heck did Medaka beat THAT in middle school?" Which I think is exactly the intended reaction, isn't it?

The episode did mention that spoiler[Kumagawa always loses.] I've never really understood the purpose of trolling the viewers. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had the infamous endless eight arc and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Clarste wrote:
The anime's not gonna get a continuation anyway

It has to get a continuation. That's the only thing that makes sense given the way they ended season 2. In particular, spoiler[Najimi Ajimu shouldn't be appearing until season 4.] The manga readers all know this so I see this as a hint that everything will be animated eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18