• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I see Gurren Lagann.
blarg01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Because all drills = that show, eh?

In a nutshell, the game is meh with controls, but tries to get many to give it a try with many different ways to control it. Multiplayer is where it's at end game.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Well didn't we all think of Gurren Lagann when we saw Pit with the Drill Arm?

Love the game but I can't believe you spoiled the amount of levels the game has! spoiler[The gag ending was hilarious.]

Anyways, it's an excellent game and I think I might even cosplay as Dark Pit.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
This game is amazing... Good to see ANN Reviewing good games for once... I am sure a Xenoblade review will come soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review Todd. I just about lost it at the Chubby Cherub reference.

blarg01 wrote:
Because all drills = that show, eh?

This is pure speculation on my part but I think Gurren Lagann inspired more than just a playable weapon. The way the whole story structure builds and turns itself on its head; I certainly wouldn't be surprised if a few staff members were fans.

Anyway, I beat the main campaign last Monday and I'm still hooked to this game. Definitely the most fun I've had with a handheld in a long, long time.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Great review! My only gripe is that it forgot to mention the awesome voice acting! Anime hyper I ended up replaying stages just to hear some of the conversations again (Stage 23, anyone? BAHAHA). It's really worth buying. This was the best gaming experience I've had in a long time. Very Happy

Last edited by FeralKat on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The two of them subtly mock the game with a mixture of cornball comedy, surpassing even the likes of Paper Mario in their attacks on the fourth wall.

That bit of info just raised my interest in this game. Wink
gerbilx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
It's such a fun game. (>")>

I personally have ABXY move the reticule, to make it play more like Metroid Prime: Hunters, and that works very well for me.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Don't blame Captain N!
whatah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While the 3-D effect of the system is still distracting at best, Uprising looks quite good all the same

Taken literally this means that the best you can say about the glasses free 3D experience is that it is distracting.
I have heard many variations of this comment including the most popular "the best thing about the 3D feature is that you can turn it off"

I guess I still do not understand why people show such disdain for this (imo) amazing feature built into the nintendo handheld.

I do not have a 3DS, I plan on getting one when the system and game library have developed and dropped in price even further. I really love my DS Lite (have put at least a thousand hours into it, half that for Disgaea DS and assorted Poke-games).

The only times I have played on a 3DS was about 10 minutes at BestBuy within a week of launch (Pilotwings) and about 10 minutes at Fry's about a week ago (Mario Sonic Olympics). Both times I found the glasses free 3D feature to work very well, even if all it was doing is pushing the menu background back about half an inch.

I love that the 3DS game library is developing at a respectable rate; I just remain surprised that the glasses-free 3D feature is still so often referred to as a "gimmick" or as a "pointless inclusion"[/quote]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Don't blame Captain N-icus!

Fixed
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Fixed
Speaking of which, they could have kicked Captain N in the nuts so perfectly in this game but they didn't.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
All the gameplay videos make it look like you just run/fly around and kill stuff.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Zac wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Fixed
Speaking of which, they could have kicked Captain N in the nuts so perfectly in this game but they didn't.

That's because the Japanese don't remember Captain N like the Americans do.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I see Gurren Lagann.
I think this sums up this game quite well. To let on anything more would already be spoilers.

population_tire wrote:
All the gameplay videos make it look like you just run/fly around and kill stuff.
And there's perhaps a good reason for that. There is diversity in what you do in the game despite all the running/flying, but how it's executed will surprise you.

Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
This is pure speculation on my part but I think Gurren Lagann inspired more than just a playable weapon. The way the whole story structure builds and turns itself on its head; I certainly wouldn't be surprised if a few staff members were fans.
Shhh. We're not suppose to talk about that!Wink

Anyways, this game certainly has its quotable moments. spoiler[Most of theme usually involve a certain lord of the Underworld. The best part was when he threatened to...expel Pit a certain way!]

I should really emphasis that the music, despite the pedigree of the composer list, is amazing in and of itself. It is be far the most diverse videogame soundtrack of the year, while having a consistent feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2