• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: ef: A Tale of Memories Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
There is one general problem with the disks, confirmed by Sentai. In episode 6, about 19:54, for just a moment, a bar appears across the right side of the screen. Otherwise, I recommend this as a teenaged-romance anime; I look forward to ef: a tale of melodies.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow. A C- for animation? That is laughable. That is... absurd. Ef had some of the better facial animation that I've ever seen. If you can watch this and say that it's below average animation... well, I don't know what I'd say to that.

I didn't like ef~ (I did like Miyako) but I could really appreciate how well animated the show was and in particular showing the anguish on Chihiro's face as she confronts her dilemma.

You rated Dragonaut as better animation? Comic Party Revolution? Absurd.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Wow. A C- for animation? That is laughable. That is... absurd. Ef had some of the better facial animation that I've ever seen. If you can watch this and say that it's below average animation... well, I don't know what I'd say to that.

I didn't like ef~ (I did like Miyako) but I could really appreciate how well animated the show was and in particular showing the anguish on Chihiro's face as she confronts her dilemma.

I 100% agree. I can't believe you gave this a C- for the animation of all things. Ef is one of the best animated series I've seen in a very VERY long time. Sure, it's artistic and won't appeal to everyone, but you can't say that it's because of a lack in quality.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
− Very limited animation, some visual gimmicks done to annoying degrees, arcs aren't fully integrated.

True tea right there. The only reason I watched this was for the word play although it falls behind Nisemonogatari that aired this season tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
SaharaFrost wrote:
I 100% agree. I can't believe you gave this a C- for the animation of all things. Ef is one of the best animated series I've seen in a very VERY long time. Sure, it's artistic and won't appeal to everyone, but you can't say that it's because of a lack in quality.

No, it gets a C- for a lack of quantity. I had thought that I was rather specific about that in the review. (Or are you and others also going to try to deny to me that this isn't one of the least-animated anime TV series in recent years?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No, it gets a C- for a lack of quantity. I had thought that I was rather specific about that in the review. (Or are you and others also going to try to deny to me that this isn't one of the least-animated anime TV series in recent years?)

Quality over quantity. It's called being understated.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
SaharaFrost wrote:

Who cares if there's a lot of animation if it looks terrible? The most important points of ef~ were animated almost flawlessly. Any time there was an emotional point, it was captured on the faces of the characters. You make no sense Key.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
As long as the animation there is is better than Hanna-Barbera's, I'm fine with it(though the eyepatch thing always gets me, too - do they not have glass eyes in Japan?). That said, I'll have to make sure to pick this up... next pay check.
Fifth B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
I blind bought this show on blu-ray a while ago, and I intend to give it a show sometime this week. It sounds interesting enough, and it looks like I was right to spring for the blu-ray this time around. This review appears to repeat what I've heard elsewhere about this show, that it's not as good as the Key stuff, but still enjoyable in it's own ways.

Oh, and I was able to recognize all of the moe tragedies mentioned as examples. I fear I may have a problem.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned in terms of flaws, potential animation shortcuts were the least of the worries for this this series. I'd say boring characters and completely outageous and sudden advances in character relationships were a much a bigger problem.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
SaharaFrost wrote:

Ever heard of "less is more"?

Megiddo wrote:
Key wrote:
SaharaFrost wrote:

Who cares if there's a lot of animation if it looks terrible? The most important points of ef~ were animated almost flawlessly. Any time there was an emotional point, it was captured on the faces of the characters.

Yes, exactly. Megiddo totally gets it.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quantity, huh? Last time I checked, quality is where it's at. The greater sum of mediocre can never out-shine the lesser amount of beauty.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
If you honestly believe limited animation shouldn't be a factor in the grade, check this out. I can understand the reasoning, although a separate grade discounting the lack would also be informative.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Who thinks limited animation should be a ding against a TV series that is part of medium known for the extensive use of limited animation in TV series?
I honestly beleive it shouldn't be an issue for an anime so long as it stands up against contemporaries(other anime).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Your music video shows me nothing but mostly super-cheap animation and a handful of reaction shots that have a couple more frames than the rest. It isn't anything to get worked up about. That you chose that music video to make your case about how the animation in this show is objectively fantastic and nobody should ever disagree with you is funny, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5