• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad I'm not alone in that. Anime hyper

It is stupid and bizarre; it's the same reason I couldn't get into Arakawa Under Bridge, Hare Guu or Dead Leaves either.

I was just kind of like "............wtf is this crack?" o___O lol

I really like a handful of ridiculous series including FLCL and Panty and Stocking though....so it's kind of odd....I don't know where the line is for my tolerance for insanity and weirdness in anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm really glad I'm not alone in that. Anime hyper

It is stupid and bizarre; it's the same reason I couldn't get into Arakawa Under Bridge, Hare Guu or Dead Leaves either.

I was just kind of like "............wtf is this crack?" o___O lol

I really like a handful of ridiculous series including FLCL and Panty and Stocking though....so it's kind of odd....I don't know where the line is for my tolerance for insanity and weirdness in anime.

I think most people fall into the love or hate category with crazy sporadic shows like these. It's the nature of the shows I think. I also don't think you can really predict where you'll fall given the crazy and random nature of such shows. There are those that don't like crazy shows like these period. It don't matter the flavor, they don't like em. Then there are those like you and myself that like some, but yet not others. Given the polarizing nature of these shows I think most people tend to be either on one side or the other with not many just going "meh" in the middle.

I for example do not like FLCL or Dead Leaves. Yet I enjoyed Hare Guu, Galaxy Angel, and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. I enjoyed Excel Saga and Puni Puni Poemi, yet did not enjoy Wallflower. All by the same director. I think it's hard to predict if you'll like a crazy show like these. It's their nature to be sporadic, off the wall, and unexpected. I for one don't think not liking such shows is too unpopular an opinion given the nature of the shows. I would say they run that risk more than others. Then again, on the positive I think the crazy shows like these that are enjoyed and loved by fans are ENJOYED by them.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
I have several:

1) I believe loli/shota is perfectly ok and totally harmless.
2) Digital Piracy(torrent & illegal streaming) is wrong and hurts the anime industry.
3) Ecchi harem Anime suck most of the time.
4) There is no such thing as American Anime.
5) Toonami is overrated and is in dire need of a makeover(expand genre, there's much more to Anime than violence).
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
If you're talking about here, 2 and 3 are pretty much standard opinion; 4's standard pretty much everywhere, I think.

Regarding number one, it's amazing the number of people who'll rail against censorship in one breath and turn around and demand the books they don't like burned in the next. Of course, they'll argue that somehow these doodles are special, but in the end the reasons all boil down to "ew".
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Toonami is far from being overrated, originally it served as an easily accessible portal to anime sorely missing from TV in the United States circa a decade ago. It's primarily for children getting into anime not seasoned watchers who've seen 40+ series from the get go.

That being said, I do not like their current lineup simply because I've eaten all of it already. But for a newcomer I'd say it's spot on, I think slice of life, kawaii blah blah series aren't pivotal or as gripping as their action counterparts to create new fans. Sure they might work for some but not the majority of the target demographic.

Why did I even write all this bullshit? I'll chalk it up to the ALS ice bucket challenge.
Gamlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Jewelpet Happiness and Jewelpet Kira Deco are both the worst series in my honest opinion even though I finished watching them. I just don't get it when Sanrio decided to go downhill on the story especially on how nonsensical they both are compared to other seasons. Don't get me started also on Jewelpet Sweets Dance Princess, the whole thing is nothing but a shameless promotion. All promotion no story.

Space Dandy is a good show but yeah, I don't get the hype this much.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
I have several:

2) Digital Piracy(torrent & illegal streaming) is wrong and hurts the anime industry.
5) Toonami is overrated and is in dire need of a makeover(expand genre, there's much more to Anime than violence).

I agree with you on most of this. Smile I definitely agree with you on Digital Piracy and illegal streaming.

Re: Toonami - I agree that the line up could use some new stuff. But, I think the new/different stuff wouldn't be that appealing to a wide younger audience. It would be nice to see some slice of life anime getting some more attention publicly on TV. But would it hold that type of audience during that time slot? :\
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RogerLP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
From what I have read in forums and reviews I have the impression that most people think that Senjougahara is a tsundere and basically a likeable person once you get through her cold exterior. After watching Bakemonogatari I would have agreed with that. After watching Nisemonogatari I don't think Senjougahara is tsundere, instead I think she is psycho. I mean she and Koyomi are walking down the street, she hits him in the back of the head and knocks him unconscious, she takes him to an abandoned building, chains him up with six pairs of handcuffs, and then sadistically teases him. She does this because she wants to protect him? Am I missing something here? Or do I just not understand the meaning of tsundere? Anyway, my contrarian opinion is that Senjougahara is not a nice person and that no one who values their life should be dating her. The fact that she makes out with Koyomi and later has sex with him does not change the situation, though I am sure Koyomi is more willing to overlook certain 'quirks' in her personality.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
you opinion of her will likely change again in the final arc of Monogatari Second Season
Pen Expers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
I have several:

@4 - In what context? Because Anime is just "cartoon" in Japanese, so in its actual literal definition then of course it does, but in its western definition, that is to say just "cartoons made in japan" then obviously it doesn't.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
RWBY is anime.

This is by far one of the most unpopular opinions right now. Thankfully, it has grown - even by a little.

With Monty dead, I hope more people have become driven to develop their talents and proceed to produce American anime.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
RWBY is anime.

This is by far one of the most unpopular opinions right now. Thankfully, it has grown - even by a little.

With Monty dead, I hope more people have become driven to develop their talents and proceed to produce American anime.

Man this is a soapbox for you. Well, you can believe whatever you want to believe.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't define RWBY as either way, but I do think it's a great series, which is at least an unpopular opinion on this site.

I do wish I could check it off on my MAL, Anime Planet, or ANN tracking lists though. Oh well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Attention all--
Please be advised that:
  1. I have placed the Kill la Kill discussion here. However, that's not the end of it. Not by a long shot.
  2. A complaint(s) has/have been lodged against animegomaniac, and I have not yet decided how I'm going to act on the said complaint.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Attention all--
Please be advised that:
  1. I have placed the Kill la Kill discussion here. However, that's not the end of it. Not by a long shot.
  2. A complaint(s) has/have been lodged against animegomaniac, and I have not yet decided how I'm going to act on the said complaint.

I was kind of interested in the discussion but don't want to go to a thread that could have spoilers (and since the series is over everyone would be in their right to post spoilers)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 84