• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
I personally found the majority of Mushishi to be quite boring. That being said, there were a few episodes that I remember loving, but that was only about five or six episodes in total. The rest of the episodes had me fighting to keep my eyes open. However, it’s possible that my boredom stemmed from the fact that I’ve read way too much classical Japanese literature and found Mushishi to be nothing but diluted pastiche, albeit pastiche that I did enjoy some iterations of.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, I finally came up with an unpopular opinion!

Mouryou no Hako is one of the best anime ever made. It pains me to see that absolutely no one talks about it, and that its score on both ANN and MAL is so low. It's pretty much the most ambitious literary adaptation ever, and really needs to be seen by all anime fans.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
^
Its popularity is definitely hampered by the fact that neither the anime nor the manga has been licensed in North America.
It looks like the anime has not been released outside of Japan, and the manga only in France and Italy.

That is too bad because it does look interesting.
I suspect that it might be too dark and violent for my taste, but I would try it if I could.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
'Hunter x Hunter' started to go down hill after the Hunter Exam arc ended- The series got too training-heavy once we got to the Celestial Tower, with the heroes having to learn about Ki... I mean Chakra... I mean Spirit Energy... I mean Hadou... I mean Nen. You'd think that after that, we'd finally get more story, but no. The Yorkshin Arc gives us more bloody Nen training slows down the story. Okay, Gon finally has access to Greed Island. Can we finally get back to the plot? Nope. Bisky comes in and we get more *bleep*-ing Nen training. Okay, Greed Island is done with and Gon now has to face the Chimera Ants. Alright, this looks interesting!... Until Gon gets knocked out after spoiler[a Chimera Ant seemingly kills Kite]. Guess what happens next? More training! You know, when other shonen anime like "Dragon Ball" and "Naruto" had the characters training, it didn't overtake the story that much. Not to mention it makes the show feel like a DBZ ripoff.

On a related note, aside from my gripes with the training, I'm liking the Chimera Ant arc so far, which everybody seems to hate. Want to know why? Because this is the first arc in a series called "Hunter x Hunter" that's actually about hunting. Yeah, and it only took six story arcs to get to that.

That's not to say that I hate HxH. I just feel like it's poorly paced.
Set1229

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I think that the original Casshan was one of the most unsettling and tense shows of the 70's.

Considering that it's an old show that only recently got a US release, it could be considered an unpopular opinion.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Phew... boy, do I have a lot. Okay, here it goes... please don't kill me.

Captain Harlock needs a modern day reboot. Lupin the 3rd is getting one, yet Harlock, one of my favorite pre-1990's anime characters ever is left behind? That's inexcusable.

Bokurano needs a remake. The anime adaptation got a little rushed after the halfway point, and it never really captured the true depth of the characters that the manga did. Gonzo's animation didn't help matters. Turning Dung Beetle into the Eric Cartman of anime was a terrible mistake, and during the 3/4 point, some of the pilots were given little-to-no character development during their arcs. The anime focused too much on the government trying to free the kids from their contract (something that we all knew would never work), making many episodes that should have been spent on developing the children waste their time on filler with the bureaucracy.

Cowboy Bebop should have had story-arcs instead of an episodic story. I love Bebop, but I feel as though if they built up to the finale by going deeper into Spike's background with Vicious, it would have been a far more rewarding experience. This is just a personal opinion though. Bebop is fine the way it is.

Future Diary has the most wasted potential out of any anime I've seen in years. I could write essays about how much they ruined a simple, yet fun concept. I'll simply say that if they gave Yuno more character than "Yandere" and decided to make Yukiteru into a Light Yagami-esque protagonist instead of a child who makes Shinji Ikari look like Kamina, this could have been a great anime. Also, if they toned down the darker themes, because the show had no idea how to handle themes of rape, child murder, and cultism.

The first half of Steins;Gate was genuinely funny. I won't lie, I understand if it's too slow for some people or if the humor was just dumb in their eyes, but I found the delivery of the jokes to be amusing. Not laugh-out-loud hilarious, but worth a chuckle. I guess I'm just not one of those people who dreads the show until the second half.

Ocean Ground Studios needs more work. I love hearing Brad Swaile, Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, and the cast of MLP:FIM in anime. Death Note and Black Lagoon's dubs are the reasons that I sought out the Gundam franchise and Vision of Escaflowne. I genuinely miss hearing these actors and hope that they start dubbing more anime in the near-future, but I know many people think that their delivery is flat too often. I won't lie, Law of Ueki has a terrible dub, but Gundam 00 and the aforementioned Madhouse Anime were amazing.

Any anime can be dubbed into English if the ADR director and script adapting team is good enough. That includes anime like Gintama and Tokyo Godfathers.

Fate/Zero's ending wasn't a disappointment at all. Of course it had to leave things opened for Fate/Stay Night. The conclusion was beautifully done, leaving things on a bittersweet, yet hopeful note. Anyone who thinks that a prequel needing to lead up to the events of the original is stupid needs to rethink their priorities.

GTO had a good dub. Not great, but the amount of times I've heard people berate me for enjoying the dub over the Japanese makes me rather annoyed.

The Garden of Sinners should be re-released with an English Dub. Preferably from Bang Zoom.

Many anime with dubs that people detest are dubs that I enjoy. Examples include: Great Teacher Onizuka, FLCL, Fate/Stay Night 2006, Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, One Piece (Funimation), Durarara, Mobile Suit Gundam, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha (I hate the show, but the dub isn't one of my complaints), Attack on Titan, and Vision of Escaflowne.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya isn't great. It's not bad, but it's not one of the best anime ever. I fail to see why anyone would even put it in their top twenty. I admit that Kyon's snark gets a giggle out of me from time to time, but it's not that great of a show. The movie on the other hand... is pretty damned good.

Here's the one that I think I'll get the most crud for. Studio Ghibli is overrated. Not bad. Just not as great as everyone says they are. The only Studio Ghibli film that I loved on a first viewing was Castle in the Sky, and that's because of my love for Tex Avery and Looney Tunes cartoons, thus my love for the pirates. I still own most of Ghibli's stuff, but I find it to be easier to appreciate than to actually like. I often check the clock when watching them, hoping for them to end soon. Maybe it's because I'm not easily impressed by animation and music alone. Bottom line, I respect Ghibli and Miyazaki, but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan.

Mamorou Hosoda is the greatest anime film director I've ever seen. This felt like an appropriate follow-up to my apathy for Miyazaki and Ghibli. Wolf Children is (currently) my #1 favorite anime film.

Shiki is more than just a gory horror anime. It's a sociological gem that tells of a struggle between man and the undead to survive. The grey morality is some of the finest I've seen in the medium of anime. I only wish that it left in certain scenes from the manga rather than leaving a few blanks, but on the whole, this is a severely underrated anime. It came out in a year where not much else of note was coming out, and was easily missed by the masses for one reason or another. If you'd classify it as a horror anime, it's the best horror anime ever made in my book.

Yoshitobe Abe needs to get off his ass and get back to work. Just saying.

I prefer FMA 2003 over Brotherhood, though I still enjoy both thoroughly. 2003 as a beautiful tale of the bond between two brothers and how the cruelty of the world around them affects them. Brotherhood as a summer blockbuster anime. There's no "better" version, but each one simply appeals to different types of viewers more.

Princess Tutu is the best children's anime ever.

Going from there, I enjoyed Princess Tutu more than I enjoyed Madoka Magica. To put it into perspective, the Pas De Deux scene in Tutu got more of an emotional reaction out of me than the whole of Madoka.

Going from there... Madoka should have been longer and devoted more time to certain characters before the bad stuff started to happen. My ideal set up: Episodes 1 - 6 are typical magical girl adventures. 7, Mami dies. 8-10, mourning, Sayaka makes a hard decision to become a magical girl as Madoka tries to survive the witch-possessed people around her. 11-13, Kyoko conflict. 14, the truth of Soul Gems. 15-18, Sayaka's depression. 19-20, Sayaka turns into a witch, Kyoko dies taking Sayaka with her. 21-22, Homura flashback (give more time showing how her relationship with Madoka developed rather than thrusting more tragedy onto us). 23, Madoka visits Homura and then goes to the evacuation place. 24 Homura fights Walpurgisnight. 25 - Homura realizes how pointless this is, Madoka rushes to get to her and finally arrives to make her wish. 27 Wish's effects are shown as Madoka transcends humanity. Epilogue (or make the epilogue a separate episode). This might not be perfect, but I feel as though it's better than rushing the product. Madoka is still a fantastic anime, but I don't feel that it's as flawless as people say it is, because I was wondering why I should care so much about these characters and their plight for the most part.

Durarara's second half wasn't bad just because it focused on Mikado, Masaomi and Anri. Those characters are just as good as the others.

Baccano should have gotten a season 2 instead of Durarara (or in addition to Durarara).

UC Gundams should get a modern day reboot.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
^ Yes. Yes to many of these.

Cowboy Bebop is one of those things where I liked it rather than loved it. Don't get me wrong; I think it's a masterpiece. Still, it's sort of like mashed potatoes and french fries. Mashed potatoes can be tasty and are much healthier than the french fries. but you're gonna eat the french fries if you had to pick only one.

Future Diary is one of those things that I cannot hate no matter what. It did genuinely entertain me, but that's because I took it entirely at face value. You have to in order to enjoy it. Otherwise, the entire product falls apart.

To elaborate, I think the show has one of the most terrifying premises ever. There's this girl. She's not sane- far from it, actually. You don't know she's insane, because she's put up such a good mask that you'd never even doubt it. Did I mention she likes you? Oh, yes, she REALLY likes you. In fact, she likes you so much, that she'll do anything except leave you alone. She'd even kill in your name. And now, not only does she have the means to know where you are at any given moment, but what you'll be doing tomorrow. You are never free from her sight, and you can never, ever escape.

Honestly, the show didn't even need a survival game at all. The premise I outlined above is enough to carry it's own story. Now if only Yuno wasn't such a waifu...

Poor Canada. Ever since the anime boom, they haven't been receiving any work to do. It's too bad. I just started Death Note and will be starting Black Lagoon tomorrow. The first show sounds great in English so far, especially Brad Swaile nailing Light's insanity as he delves into mass murder by the end of the first episode.

My personal philosophy is that animation is meant to be watched, not read. If I wanted to read something, I'd pick up a book instead. I'm actually studying Japanese at the moment, and one of my goals is to watch anime without subtitles and maybe even be a translator.

I thought that the Fate stay Night dub was listenable. It's good, but not great, persay. It's just going through the motions. (I did think that Sherry Lynn as Sakura was flat, but it's not her fault, since her character has nothing to do.) FLCL, Madoka, and Titan are also pretty good dubs, in my opinion.

Haruhi Suzumiya was definitely a product of it's time. The first season was enjoyable, but I'd only recommend Season Two for the most diehard fans. There are some good parts, but overall, this anime has not aged well. Personally, I think it's because the guys adapting the novels had no clue how to do their job.

I'm a casual fan of Ghibli. They're not perfect, but I like many of their films. I liked Castle in the Sky too, as well as Totoro and Porco Rosso. I like the studio, but I'm not a diehard fangirl.

I really liked Mamoru Hosoda's first two films. Summer Wars was fun, and The Girl who Leapt Through Time honestly made me cry towards the end. Wolf Children just wasn't my thing, though. I'm looking forward to when The Boy and the Beast comes out in English.

I've only seen Haibane Renmei, but that's enough to make me like Yoshitoshi ABe. I can't say for sure if I miss his work, but...

OH MY GOD, FMA 2003. I haven't seen Brotherhood, but it's going to have a really hard time beating the first one. It's one of my top twenty favorites, and I loved analyzing it and catching motifs and the thematic elements. Yay.

Princess Tutu is another favorite. I think I could show this and Sailor Moon to a ten year old, and she'd like it. Duck's the most adorable protagonist, and Fakir is one of the better examples of character development.

I liked both Madoka and Tutu, but if I had no choice, I'd say I liked Madoka more.

Honestly, I thought Madoka was fine the way it is. It's one of those shows that requires you to pay attention in order to really understand why the characters do what they do. (Same with Wolf's Rain; you cannot take anything at face value) Interestingly enough, I think Urobuchi stated that Episode Ten was going to be twice as long as it was, and would have gone more into Homura's backstory.

More Baccano is fine with me! Too bad it flopped domestically. Darn.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
I had no problem with Future Diaries darker moments. If you are going to blow up an innumerable amount of kids, you shouldn't be afraid of a little knife work also.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I had no problem with Future Diaries darker moments. If you are going to blow up an innumerable amount of kids, you shouldn't be afraid of a little knife work also.

I don't have a problem with dark anime or dark moments in anime, but at its heart, Future Diary was just trying too hard to be cool. To put it best, it was like the anime wanted to say something profound, but had nothing to say. In a show that pulls off these tragic elements better, such as Black Lagoon or Gen Urobuchi's two masterpieces, Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica, there's some philosophy or message behind these crueler fates. They are meant to say one thing or another about the characters or their view on the world, and delve deep into whether or not their view is the right one or whether or not there even is a correct view.

In Future Diary, we find out that Sixth was raped for some reason, and thus... she's evil? 9th was in a war and thus... she's a terrorist? These aren't compelling arguments, they're concepts of a fully realized character. In Fate/Zero, Kiritsugu is a pragmatist because he wished to be a hero since childhood, yet realized throughout losing his loved ones and often having to put them down himself, that the only type of hero that was of use in this world was an unbiased machine who sacrificed the few to save the many. That's a fully realized character.

Ninth having been involved in a war is an idea. We never find out more about her past. Why 5th knows a comically large amount of chemistry despite being four or five years old is never explained. Why Deus chooses several people as candidates to become God when he's already rooting for Yukiteru is never explained.

To me, Future Diary just feels like it was looking at a chart and trying to find out what was popular among the teenage crowd. "Dark themes, rape, a protagonist with little enough personality that the viewer can just insert themselves into the scenario, gore, battle royals, dark twists regardless of their place in the plot, villain protagonists who believe they did what they had to do, sympathetic antagonists (it's clear that they tried to make every diary user an anti-villain, though I'd say they only really succeeded with 8th), and a happy ending that's inappropriately, unambiguously happy toward the protagonist who didn't deserve it in the end."

I guess that's just my unpopular opinion though. And I've got another one. Guilty Crown is basically a better version of Future Diary. It took everything about Future Diary that I hated and made it into something that I could rewatch over and over again. It's not a masterpiece or even great, but it's an intense action show with lovable cliches.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:

To elaborate, I think the show has one of the most terrifying premises ever. There's this girl. She's not sane- far from it, actually. You don't know she's insane, because she's put up such a good mask that you'd never even doubt it. Did I mention she likes you? Oh, yes, she REALLY likes you. In fact, she likes you so much, that she'll do anything except leave you alone. She'd even kill in your name. And now, not only does she have the means to know where you are at any given moment, but what you'll be doing tomorrow. You are never free from her sight, and you can never, ever escape.

Honestly, the show didn't even need a survival game at all. The premise I outlined above is enough to carry it's own story. Now if only Yuno wasn't such a waifu...

I have to agree there. Future Diary would have been great if it was just about Yuno and her psyche. The Survival Game stuff was handled poorly. If it was about a boy with a stalker like Yuno, I'd totally love it unironically. Of course, giving Yuki more personality would also help. I love anime like Denpa Teki Na Kanojo with Yanderes and stalkers done in a lovably creepy way, but they also need to be fawning psychotically over a character worth giving a crap about.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that there's a more unpopular anime opinion than this:

https://www.change.org/p/the-united-nations-enact-an-international-ban-on-anime-and-manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I don't think that there's a more unpopular anime opinion than this:

https://www.change.org/p/the-united-nations-enact-an-international-ban-on-anime-and-manga

Should I sign this as a joke...? I wonder...
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that at least 95% of those supporters are from /a/.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
I have a feeling that at least 95% of those supporters are from /a/.

Izaya started that petition to get back at Erika and Walker for shipping him with Shizuo.

Laughing
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I'm going to be completely honest; I don't mind R-rated material in a story. Hell, I loved Berserk, and everyone knows what went down in there! But here's the thing about stuff like Berserk, Madoka, and even some non-anime stuff like Pinocchio or Coraline. They all had substance. The dark stuff wasn't there ~just because~. There was a point to be made in all those stories.

I do not wish to censor really dark stories. That would be hypocritical of me, as a myself am a budding creator. However, if you're putting dark stuff in there because you think that makes your work edgier and therefore better, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Future Diary, as louis outlined up there, had a rape backstory for one of the enemies of the week. Why? Not to explain current behavior or provide possible motivation, but to make the enemy more sympathetic. That's not only bad writing, but bad FAN FICTION writing.

My point is that you can put violence and sexual elements in your story as long as you're doing so for the right reasons. Don't be gratuitous, don't be disgusting, and try to write a good story before you start adding in dark material. It'll all be for the better.

@louis

My choice of Future Diary done right is The Flowers of Evil manga. Kasuga is a much better written Yukiteru on account that he's actually a complex and interesting lead who, in spite of his teenaged pretension, does not deserve any of the crap he goes through. Gasai is expertly split into the creepy nymphomaniac Nakamura and the sweet, possibly insane Saeki. It also has substance, so there you go.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I'm going to be completely honest; I don't mind R-rated material in a story. Hell, I loved Berserk, and everyone knows what went down in there! But here's the thing about stuff like Berserk, Madoka, and even some non-anime stuff like Pinocchio or Coraline. They all had substance. The dark stuff wasn't there ~just because~. There was a point to be made in all those stories.

I do not wish to censor really dark stories. That would be hypocritical of me, as a myself am a budding creator. However, if you're putting dark stuff in there because you think that makes your work edgier and therefore better, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Future Diary, as louis outlined up there, had a rape backstory for one of the enemies of the week. Why? Not to explain current behavior or provide possible motivation, but to make the enemy more sympathetic. That's not only bad writing, but bad FAN FICTION writing.

My point is that you can put violence and sexual elements in your story as long as you're doing so for the right reasons. Don't be gratuitous, don't be disgusting, and try to write a good story before you start adding in dark material. It'll all be for the better.

@louis

My choice of Future Diary done right is The Flowers of Evil manga. Kasuga is a much better written Yukiteru on account that he's actually a complex and interesting lead who, in spite of his teenaged pretension, does not deserve any of the crap he goes through. Gasai is expertly split into the creepy nymphomaniac Nakamura and the sweet, possibly insane Saeki. It also has substance, so there you go.

The thing that bothers me so much about Future Diary is that it wants me to take it so seriously. When you add such dark twists, you need to make it a realistic story. I don't mean that it can't be fantasy (you mentioned Berserk and I agree that it's a great example) but I mean realistic from a character standpoint.

You can't have the mayor send hitmen to kill Yuki's dad. You can't have Yuno's parents being dead for the entirety of the story with no explanation on why none of their employers or friends noticed and called the police. You can't have a five year old with biological warfare experience. You can't have a cop fall in love with a terrorist (even if it was far more believable and emotionally taxing than the main romance).

What I'm basically saying is that they needed explanations for these things. Real explanations that made logical sense. I can name way too many plot holes or stupidity-induced actions that happened just to make the plot possible or to give the main characters a chance at winning. The biggest offender is the 7ths not breaking Yuki and Yuno's phones when they had the chance, but there are several more.

Sorry, sorry. I know that you backed me up, but I had to add more and more. It's hard for me to talk about Future Diary without getting into a rant. I honestly liked the show just fine until Yuki spoiler[murdered all of his friends on Yuno's orders. The entire thing was just stupid. Who would you believe? The girl who kidnapped you, or the friends who rescued you from that kidnapping?]

That single event changed Yuki from an annoying character to a completely detestable asshole who is probably the worst main character in anime history (in my opinion). Sure, Makoto from School Days was annoying and hateful, but at least he gets some karma in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 84