• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRNielson

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought Trigun was vash-ly overrated.

To me, it looked like someone watched an episode of Rurouni Kenshin and said "I wanna do that, but in the Wild West. With guns. And with a far less interesting cast."

Maybe had I never watched Rurouni Kenshin, I would be able to enjoy Trigun. But as it stands, all I think about when I watch it is how Kenshin would have handled the situation better.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
I thought Trigun was vash-ly overrated.

Saw what you dd there sir. I have to say while I might call it overrated per se, I did not get into it as much as other similarly popular action titles around that time. I liked Outlaw Star, Bebop, and Kenshin. Couldn't get into Trigun though. I mean I'll watch if it's on and my other choice is Fox News sure. But given a choice I'd pass. A lot of my friends at that time couldn't get why I could like other similar titles but not that one.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
I love the idea of Trigun, but the anime is severely overrated. People saying that Vash is the most compelling protagonist ever (he's pretty fun to watch, but... that's quite a claim) are mistaken. Most people that I know who love Trigun a lot watched it as one of their first anime, so maybe that's where they get it.

I personally watched Trigun after I was well into anime. I believe I had just finished Monster (a more adult show that handles the subject of a morally just man being driven to defeat an evil that must die way better than Trigun) before watching the whole thing on Netflix. The anime isn't bad, but it's easy to tell that they were rushing things to have a "proper ending" despite having an ongoing manga. Trigun's anime was certainly NOT doing what FMA 2003 did correctly. Maybe if it was longer.

spoiler[I also feel like they left the subject of how Vash handles Knives too ambiguous/open-ended in the anime. Okay, so he's alive and healing. What stops him from just doing this crap again? It's never implied that he changed his ways.]

I've read a good deal of the Trigun manga, and I have mixed feelings. The gunfights are just difficult to follow when they're drawn on a manga instead of animated, but the story and characters are far more interesting. It's great that Vash's enemies actually have motives and depth. I especially liked the expansion of Vash's flashbacks with Rem/Knives.

I think that if Trigun was rebooted, the claims would be stronger and more justified in my mind, but as is, this isn't even on my personal top 20. People say that it's a timeless classic on the same level as Cowboy Bebop, FMA 2003, and NGE, but I don't think it's anywhere near as important or memorable as those shows. I certainly won't fault people for loving it, but I don't think it's the "Best" at anything. Even unfinished anime adaptations have been better (Berserk's anime makes my top 20 easily).

Speaking of which, another unpopular opinion. The Berserk Movie Trilogy was good. The animation got better by the second and third movies (Though I admit that I would have preferred a more natural drawing style). The English dub is amazing, the music is simply epic, the characters (while slightly rushed due to it being films rather than an anime) are still compelling, plus I feel that this was meant for people who were already familiar with the franchise as well. I don't understand why they won't continue. The movies were just getting good too.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
I don't think Trigun is perfect- not by a looooongshot. However, I think that when the story is good, it's REALLY good. I rather like Vash, Legato, Meryl and Milly, Wolfwood, and a lot of these characters. The animation might be s**t (hard to believe this was Studio Madhouse, huh?) and the tone can be inconsistent between both halves. Still, I admire what Trigun set out to do. I don't LOVE it, but I like it fine.

I think it's also interesting to note that Western fans of Trigun preferred the anime adaptation while Japanese fans liked the manga more. Yasuhiro Nightow himself enjoyed the TV anime and included many references to it in the Maximum installments of the story. Now you know! And knowing makes things even more divisive. Cool
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Zeta Gundam isn't the masterpiece everyone makes it out to be.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I don't think Trigun is perfect- not by a looooongshot. However, I think that when the story is good, it's REALLY good. I rather like Vash, Legato, Meryl and Milly, Wolfwood, and a lot of these characters. The animation might be s**t (hard to believe this was Studio Madhouse, huh?) and the tone can be inconsistent between both halves. Still, I admire what Trigun set out to do. I don't LOVE it, but I like it fine.

I think it's also interesting to note that Western fans of Trigun preferred the anime adaptation while Japanese fans liked the manga more. Yasuhiro Nightow himself enjoyed the TV anime and included many references to it in the Maximum installments of the story. Now you know! And knowing makes things even more divisive. Cool

I don't think I'll ever meet someone who hates Trigun, but the characters were handled better in the manga. Maybe it just should have been over 26 episodes long. Not all the Gung-ho Guns needed to be animated, but villains are a big part of this story, especially if you want me to believe the Vash's philosophy to never kill has some ground. The villains need to have more than one dimension. In the show, Knives has a few reasons to fear humans, but Legato's backstory isn't touched upon and the Gung-ho Guns are just jerks. Trigun is good, great even, but I don't think it's something I'll be rewatching soon.

Quote:
Zeta Gundam isn't the masterpiece everyone makes it out to be.

Do people call it a masterpiece? I barely know any Gundam fans, so... maybe I'm just a novice in the fandom. I will say that I believe it to be an improvement upon the original in some ways, but both are classics.

The ending spoiler[Kamille wins, but gets brain damage directly afterwards in the most BS way possible] is forced and dark just for the sake of shock value when the show would have had a great ending otherwise, and too many characters simply die towards the end instead of across the course of the series (most wars don't simply have important figures dying toward the end of them), but I loved it nonetheless. Also, I think that Char could use some help on his Clark Kenting skills.

I loved the music, I kind of liked Kamille more than most people do, and the Zeta Gundam itself is pretty cool, not that I typically care about mech designs. I hope that they redub Zeta Gundam at some point though. Blue Water Studios is my least favorite dubbing company that's still around.

On the subject of Gundam, Gundam 00 and Wing are inferior to the Universal Century Gundam shows. I await rabid fans of AU Gundam to destroy my house now.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
(most wars don't simply have important figures dying toward the end of them)

With all due respect, that is not true at all. Take the U.S. Civil War for example.
http://www.phil.muni.cz/~vndrzl/amstudies/civilwar_stats.htm (scroll down to items six and seven)
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do people call it a masterpiece? I barely know any Gundam fans, so... maybe I'm just a novice in the fandom. I will say that I believe it to be an improvement upon the original in some ways, but both are classics.

Perhaps masterpiece wasn't the right word. It just seems that many people claim it to be the best Gundam or mecha series of all time. In what ways do you think Zeta was an improvement over the original?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn

A. P. Hill is the only one on both lists that could be considered both important and as dying near the end of the war. He died as a direct of hostile enemy action which can hardly be considered a BS way to die.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
^
Did I take louis6578 out of context? My point (a valid one, I believe) was that towards the end of the war that that generals were still dying at a significant rate.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn
louis6578 was grousing about some character who was seriously injured or killed after surviving all of the fighting. He used the term BS manner. The only person I can think of in real life like that would be Patton. He died in an auto accident after the end of the European war.

The US Civil War was unusual in that a significant number of Generals were killed. In most wars they are not directly involved with combat (with the exception of Brigadier Generals who are relatively common). In our Civil War the effective range of weapons had markedly increased and what was a safe place to direct the fighting wasn't anymore. It took them a while to realize that, and communications had not developed enough to allow them to get much further back anyway.

In spite of that the only people on the lists you provided who died near the end were John Pegram and A.P. Hill. Both died in the initial breakout from Petersburg that ended a bit over a week later at Appomattox. The last before that was either Stuart or Sedgwick both of whom died at the beginning of the overland campaign about a year before the end of the war. So no not at a significant rate at the end and not in what could be called a BS manner.

Just for the record, my other hobby is reading about the Civil War.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
^^ Even in WW2, Allied General officers were killed towards the end of the war.

MG Maurice Rose CG of the 3rd armored division was killed on March 30 1945 when his small column including 1 Sherman tank ran into a bunch of Tigers.

And as for Shermans vs Tigers, the Commander of Army Ground forces, Lt Gen Leslie McNair was killed by an 8th Air force carpet bombing attack that went a little short in July 1944. McNair did more to hold up the development of US heavy tanks than anyone else. From wiki:

Quote:
As a result of his belief in the tank destroyer doctrine, McNair was instrumental in obstructing the production of the M26 Pershing. McNair saw no need for a heavy tank and believed that tank versus tank duels were "unsound and unnecessary". McNair would agree only to the production of the 76mm M4 Sherman which he believed were capable of handling the Tiger I tank that had appeared in late 1942. Gen. Jacob Devers, the main proponent for the M26, had to go over McNair's head to Gen. Marshall to begin production of the M26.

FDR died on Apr 12 1945 less than a month before VE day

And two or three US generals died in the summer on 1945 in the Pacific.

We had one US general die in Afghan a couple years ago, but I had already left that war zone for another.

So it happens.

BTW, Girls und Panzer did not have any M26 tanks, which I think was completely wrong. there should have been an M26 and not a Porsche Tiger in the series.

I mean they had a Porsche Tiger show up for the last battle when only 5 were ever built and 4 of those were converted to Ferdinands, leaving only 1 which was lost on the Russian front. Over 500 M26s were built before VE day. Now I like my German WW2 tanks, but there should have been at least 1 M26 Pershing in that series.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Space_Number_1 wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps masterpiece wasn't the right word. It just seems that many people claim it to be the best Gundam or mecha series of all time. In what ways do you think Zeta was an improvement over the original?

Not a significant improvement or anything, but I just found it to be slightly more engaging. It's not that MSG wasn't great or anything (I still loved the parts with Ramba Ral and ANYTHING with Char in it), I just found Kamille to be more interesting than Amuro (at the beginning, toward the end of MSG and throughout all of the remaining UC shows, Amuro is cooler). There were more grayed lines with the titans having redeeming qualities, while I never really saw that much with the Zeons.

I admit that the stuff with Four was hit or miss depending on how much you buy into her relationship with Kamille, and Rosima's arc was incredibly uninspired and unneeded. In my opinion, Zeta Gundam didn't need to be 50 episodes, yet MSG had a rushed finale. The two should have swapped episode numbers.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Do people call it a masterpiece?

Are you kidding me? Even a novice in the Gundam fandom should know of the civil war between UC and AU, with the UC side championing Zeta and CCA as two of the best (if not the best) Gundam works ever.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:
And in terms of unpopular anime opinions (at least by the standards of this site): Yurikuma Arashi is so enamored with symbolism that it makes itself inscrutable to anyone who isn't similarly enamored. It also an intellectual exercise rather than an actual work of entertainment.

Well, I for one completely agree with you on this. Yuri Kuma Arashi simply doesn't work as entertainment, and it doesn't even work as a piece of art. It only works as intellectual discourse.

I didn't like Yuri Kuma Arashi as much as Ikuhara's other shows, but I don't think it is bad that it is a bit challenging. I like figuring out what the story is about and I find it entertaining.

As for my unpopular opinion. I think the romance between Hak and Yona in Akatsuki no Yona is mediocre and boring and the show main strength lies in that it successfully makes people root for Yona. The interactions between Hak and Yona are just a puny addition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 84