• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Even a novice in the Gundam fandom should know of the civil war between UC and AU, with the UC side championing Zeta and CCA as two of the best (if not the best) Gundam works ever.

I.. didn't know that. I've only seen all of 00 and Seed. I only knew that hardcore Gundam fans considered the UC universe to be the "true" Gundam universe. I'm guessing AU (Alternative Universe?) means any Gundam universe that isn't UC.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I didn't like Yuri Kuma Arashi as much as Ikuhara's other shows, but I don't think it is bad that it is a bit challenging. I like figuring out what the story is about and I find it entertaining.

Oh, I'm not even necessarily saying that it's a bad series, just not an entertaining one. And I don't find being challenging to be bad, but when a series seems to exist only to be challenging, or when it's so challenging that a significant chunk of the audience needs an interpreter to even figure out what it's being challenging about, then I see that as a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Even a novice in the Gundam fandom should know of the civil war between UC and AU, with the UC side championing Zeta and CCA as two of the best (if not the best) Gundam works ever.

I.. didn't know that. I've only seen all of 00 and Seed. I only knew that hardcore Gundam fans considered the UC universe to be the "true" Gundam universe. I'm guessing AU (Alternative Universe?) means any Gundam universe that isn't UC.

Oh, you've seen Seed? Is it any good? I've only seen MSG, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, some of G Gundam, and season 1 of 00. I own season 2 on DVD, but I only finished the first disc because other stuff came up.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
On a related note, aside from my gripes with the training, I'm liking the Chimera Ant arc so far, which everybody seems to hate. Want to know why? Because this is the first arc in a series called "Hunter x Hunter" that's actually about hunting. Yeah, and it only took six story arcs to get to that.

Okay, I take that back. The further I went into the Chimera Ant Arc, the more I started to understand why people hate that arc. It seems like another roadblock keeping Gon from seeing his father. Not only that, but Gon and Killua feel like side characters in their own series, and the new characters (outside of Kite's group) aren't that interesting. It also annoys me how advertisements for this series play Kurapika and Leorio like they're important to the series, and yet they were pretty much demoted to extra after the first arc.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Oh, you've seen Seed? Is it any good? I've only seen MSG, Zeta, Char's Counterattack, some of G Gundam, and season 1 of 00. I own season 2 on DVD, but I only finished the first disc because other stuff came up.

It has been a while since I saw it, but I did like it. The highlight of the show is probably Kira Yamato and his development throughout the show. I should probably rewatch it someday, but 50 episodes is a lot to go through. As I understand it, Seed is a quite highly praised show. The second season, Destiny, isn't. I liked Destiny which is probably an unpopular opinion of mine. It was more of the same, but as I don't remember all that much about the show I can't say for certain whether I'd still like it.

I would recommend at least checking out Seed. That New Zealander dude over there might tell you to stay at least 100 miles away from Destiny and I wouldn't be able to give you a good reason why not to.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
^

No worries. I plan on seeing all the Gundam shows (or at least all of them that have been licensed and dubbed, probably more) so I'll watch Seed Destiny whether I like it or not..
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Oh, you've seen Seed? Is it any good?

It's the third best Gundam title that I've seen (which isn't saying much, since most of them are awful). But yeah, SEED is pretty good. Impressive mech designs, exciting battles, a nice bunch of protagonists that you want to cheer for, awesome music, and clear themes about genetic modification and pacifism. It's sequel SEED Destiny was - a decent start aside - absolutely terrible. Like, I wish I had never seen it. However, it is fairly watchable so long as you set your expectations as low as possible and don't have any strong attachments to the characters.

louis6578 wrote:
No worries. I plan on seeing all the Gundam shows (or at least all of them that have been licensed and dubbed, probably more)...

Going for the grand slam, huh? Well, good luck with that.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
'Persona 3' was more deserving of a full anime series than 'Persona 4'- The characters were more likable, the comedy wasn't groan-worthy, and the plot wasn't fueled by the characters being too dumb to live. With how poorly-paced P4 was, it would have benefited more from being a movie and get its stupid scenes cut. Would people honestly miss the boys getting puked on by their hungover teacher, all that BS at the school festival, and the *bleep*-ing Hot Spring scene that almost made me ragequit the game because it showed how detestable these characters are?

The FMA 2003 series was good, the movie sucked- I really feel like "Conquerors of Shamballa" should have been another season or at least an OVA series instead of a movie. Izumi, Hohenhiem, and Envy got royally screwed over, and I couldn't care less about Noah and Alfonse. Eckhart was just a poor-man's Dante. Giving Alphonse the ability to transfer his soul into armor at will created a huge plot hole. Why didn't Al just spoiler[transfer his soul and close the gate on the other side]? The Elrics didn't have to leave behind their loved ones.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
^Was it ever established that Al spoiler[could do alchemy from the armor that he possessed]? And then there's the issue of the same area that was identified as spoiler[London] suddenly becoming spoiler[Berlin]. And what the heck happened spoiler[to Gluttony]?

The movie had far, far too many issues, but I don't think that was one of them.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
That's another thing I didn't understand. How did spoiler[Wrath and Gluttony die] if a piece of their remains weren't around?
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
'Persona 3' was more deserving of a full anime series than 'Persona 4'- The characters were more likable, the comedy wasn't groan-worthy, and the plot wasn't fueled by the characters being too dumb to live. With how poorly-paced P4 was, it would have benefited more from being a movie and get its stupid scenes cut. Would people honestly miss the boys getting puked on by their hungover teacher, all that BS at the school festival, and the *bleep*-ing Hot Spring scene that almost made me ragequit the game because it showed how detestable these characters are?

The FMA 2003 series was good, the movie sucked- I really feel like "Conquerors of Shamballa" should have been another season or at least an OVA series instead of a movie. Izumi, Hohenhiem, and Envy got royally screwed over, and I couldn't care less about Noah and Alfonse. Eckhart was just a poor-man's Dante. Giving Alphonse the ability to transfer his soul into armor at will created a huge plot hole. Why didn't Al just spoiler[transfer his soul and close the gate on the other side]? The Elrics didn't have to leave behind their loved ones.

My big issue with the movies, and by extension, the series, was that Roy and Winry's little thing was never resolved. Apparently they were going to resolve it in the movie, but then they felt like a stupid plot about the Nazis attacking Amestris was more important. >Neutral

I'm also with you on the ending. spoiler[Ed and Al shouldn't have had to leave behind their friends and family like that. It was a pretty dumb ending that felt like it was just there for a forced bittersweet tone. The villains themselves didn't even need to be there. It should have just been about Ed trying to reunite with Al.] All in all, it was an okay movie, but it should have been far more than that. The series itself was a masterpiece. This was just... mediocre.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The FMA 2003 series was good, the movie sucked-

Heh, I wouldn't call THAT an "unpopular" opinion, bro. I think most agree. Laughing
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Usually, when people say they hate the 2003 series, it's because of the ending. It's more surprising to hear somebody say that they loved the series, but hated the movie.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
^
Uh, no, that's by far the more common opinion, in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I didn't completely care for the ending of the show either. It comes right the hell out of nowhere. Plus, something that always bugged me. It's always said that Human Transmutation is a taboo and that alchemists should always just accept the loss of human life. Good moral. It applies even in real life. We shouldn't bother trying to play god.

With that in mind... FMA 2003's major flaw in my opinion, is this: spoiler[ED AND AL SOLVE THEIR FINAL PROBLEM AT THE END OF THE SHOW THROUGH HUMAN TRANSMUTATION!] How can the writers of this brilliant show not see that this is breaking their own moral? Human transmutation is bad, unless it's the series finale?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 84