• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
My unpopular opinion is that Escaflowne would be marginally better if Hitomi were either given a minor role (not the protagonist) or absent entirely. The plot is great, but she's too much of an audience surrogate. Its very obvious and if you swapped her with Tenchi and genderbent him, the story wouldn't be too different. Her romantic chemistry with Van and Allen feels unnecessary.

Thankfully, she's not a horrible character. Just a boring one who adds and subtracts very little to and from the story.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
As an old-timer, I'm not sure if this is even an unpopular opinion.

I know Yuka Imai, Junko Iwao and Lia Sargent have not had many roles, lately, but I think their work is underappreciated. Must be my love of the 90's getting to me.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
Not sure if my gender and sexuality play a role in this, but... fanservice/harem/wish-fulfillment shows for males are marginally better on average than the same type of shows for females. I've found a good handful of harems and ecchi shows that I love where there's a man surrounded by ladies (Tenchi Muyo, Steins;Gate, Fate/Stay Night, Oreimo, Chobits, DNA^2, etc.) or where ladies bums and chests are the main appeal (Keijo, Shimoneta, High School of the Dead, and... OF COURSE, Prison School), but I've only found like... a few shows that are the same type of appeal, but genderswappped that I liked (Ouran High School Host Club, Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Sailor Moon (at its best anyway), and Servamp (from what I've seen)). Now, that's not to say that the worst guy-appeal show is better than the worst girl-appeal show. Fushigi Yuugi is better than Eiken at least (which is the nicest thing I'll ever say about that show).

Oh, and before anybody mentions that I put Full Moon Wo Sagashite in the same category as Ouran and some other shows that I described as being "manservice," keep in mind that this doesn't mean the story or characters are bad, or even that they aren't great. After all, I also put Steins;Gate in the same category as Oreimo and Tenchi despite it being easily in my top 10 favorite anime TV shows.

Also, Escaflowne isn't one of the good "shoujo" anime that I mentioned because even before feeling horribly rushed in the second half, Hitomi's shallow crush on Allen and lack of any other character made her difficult to like, and her constant focus dragged the show down with her. I mean, I'd rather have bland snack food than repulsive sewage and rotten fungal infected corpses served to me (Miaka).
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I like Dragon Ball better sub than dub. The old dubs of DBZ in my opinion are awful and I can't stand them. For the longest time, they were consider to be the worst dubs ever and now they are look back as high art dubs on the same level as Cowboy Bebop. I hate how Funimation try attempt to G.I. Joe-ify DBZ into something that is not. The series is a Wuxia series with sci-fi elements mix into it. Watching Dragon Ball feels like a Shaw Bros movie and not like a typical Saturday morning cartoon like G.I Joe, Transformers or whatever that was on Fox Kids.

Not to mention people bitch about dub changes in stuff like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Sailor Moon, but it is okay for DBZ to do it. What makes what Funimation did to Dragon Ball okay and cool, but not stuff like Digimon? Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and Digimon are 30 minute toy commercials, so Saban or 4kids changing it does not bother me that much. With Dragon Ball, the series has a legacy behind it and was popular with fans before it was even dubbed.

Who cares if Goku sounds like a girl or not? If you watch Dragon Ball from 1986 from start to finish, you can see why they kept the old voices from day one. Goku was never this macho American superhero like the dub made him out to be.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
The sci-fi aspect introduced in Z really takes a lot out of the magic and wonder from the fantasy aspects of Dragonball (pre-Z). I could explain further, but I'm not even sure if this opinion is uncommon.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people on the web would say the dub of the DB series is better dub than sub. You can say nostalgia, but other series like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and Sailor Moon have the same level of nostalgia if you ask me. So why is when it Digimon Tri was getting dub, people was getting worry that the cheesy voice acting and music replacement would return while everyone wants Bruce Faulconer's music and the old voices from DBZ to return for Super.

I feel like DBZ is not much different from those franchise since they are all kids anime and they all got terrible dub adaptions. I don't see how DBZ gets a free pass for how it terribly dub it was. I feel like none of the English voice actors would beat the original Japanese voices. I feel like no one's ever tried to play vegeta the way Horikawa does. Vegeta is spoiled royalty, aristocratic, a [expletive] snob who's completely full of himself while Sabat tries to be a typical American bad ass if you ask me.
XOtaku90

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I hate Pokemon, One Piece and any modern Shonen after 1996. I feel like anime has been mostly just kids stuff like collecting monsters, the power of friendship, ecchi and moe. Anime in the 80's and early-mid 90's never had any of this garbage. What the hell happen?!
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I also don't hate 4kids like most people do. Sure there dubs did suck, but the anime that they dub was never that good to begin with expect for one or two titles. It's not like any value was lost when they poorly dub something like Sonic X or Dinosaur King. Shows like Kirby, F-Zero, Dinosaur King, Magical DoReMi, Sonic X, Tokyo Mew Mew and Fighting Foodons where never popular or care about anyone in the first place. People only really like these shows because of nostalgia and that is it.

As someone who has been on anime fan websites and chat rooms for at least 20 years, I do remember in the early 2000's that no one care about the anime that 4kids would dub that all expect for One Piece. While 4kid was releasing stupid kids anime, anime fans on the web was too busy talking about titles like Great Teacher Onizuka, Inuyahsa, Love Hina, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Fruits Basket.

Also I feel like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters are not good anime at all and people rank them so high due to nostalgia. The original Pokemon anime is just a typical boring Shonen anime with a repetitive plot. Pokemon keeps the same story format for the last 20 years and rehashes the same thing over again. People bitch about the new Pokemon anime and talk about how the old Pokemon is so good when the original Pokemon anime was never good from the start.

Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters suffers from too much filler and too many two or three-part episodes. Most duels can be over in one episode and not three episodes. The manga is not a bad book for kids that does have some dark themes in it while the anime is mediocre at best.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
XOtaku90 wrote:
I hate Pokemon, One Piece and any modern Shonen after 1996. I feel like anime has been mostly just kids stuff like collecting monsters, the power of friendship, ecchi and moe. Anime in the 80's and early-mid 90's never had any of this garbage. What the hell happen?!

What do you let your kids read/watch, dude? o.o
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
XOtaku90 wrote:

What do you let your kids read/watch, dude? o.o

I think he means that anime today is mostly ecchi, moe or anime anime to kids (Shonen). Seinen use to be 80% or 90% of the anime market use to be in the 80's-90's.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
^

So what he means is... "I hate that there are more anime coming to the west in a broader demographic. I miss the old days where only 10 or so seinen OVAs would be localized.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it was like that back then too in Japan. Most anime in Japan at the time was OVAs since late night TV didn't exist yet. The only Shonen anime you had before Pokemon and One Piece was DBZ, YYH, Sailor Moon and a couple others. Seinen seem to be the main market in Japan and the US in the late 80's and early-mid 90's.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was like that back then too in Japan. Most anime in Japan at the time was OVAs since late night TV didn't exist yet. The only Shonen anime you had before Pokemon and One Piece was DBZ, YYH, Sailor Moon and a couple others.

How the heck is Sailor Moon "shonen", and what about the dozens and dozens of giant robot toy commercials that aired in the 1980s?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about Sailor Moon other than it is a magical girl series. I guess Shojo is the real audience for the series. My point is that they are all part of the same audience (kids & teens). I guess after the 90's and early 2000's, the main audience for anime got younger and more stuff for kids & teens was made instead of Seinen. Sure you still have Seinen now, but most of them does not seem to get notice by people.

I remember in the 90's that titles like Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Blue Seed, Patlabor, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain, The Guyver, Record of Lodoss War, Berserk, and many other titles was big. They consider to be more dark and serious compare to any of this kind of "gotta catch 'em all" type of anime or DBZ.

Quote:
what about the dozens and dozens of giant robot toy commercials that aired in the 1980s?

I was mostly talking about the anime after that era. I consider 1988 - 1997 or 1998 to be the VHS/OVA era. I can see why people love that era so much since most anime these day are the typical Shonen anime that we seen a million times before, a lot of moe girls and boring harem anime with no quality. Sure you may have gross titles like Urotsukidoji, but Urtsukidoji is not a bad horror anime. I would take it over something like Boku No Pico.

I don't think all new anime is bad, but I only enjoy several from this decade when I can create a huge list of titles from the 80's and 90's that I love.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was like that back then too in Japan. Most anime in Japan at the time was OVAs since late night TV didn't exist yet. The only Shonen anime you had before Pokemon and One Piece was DBZ, YYH, Sailor Moon and a couple others. Seinen seem to be the main market in Japan and the US in the late 80's and early-mid 90's.

Ding ding! Correct! It was absolutely like that in Japan. However, most people on this forum are not Japanese. When they speak of old anime, they're talking about how anime was distributed to us in the states, Canada, or even in Europe. The internet came later, so when people outside of Japan saw DBZ for the first time, they almost certainly saw Z before DB and saw the Ocean Group dub of the 90's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 63 of 84