• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Some unpopular opinions of mine

- I like Mazinger over Gundam. Gundam is great, but I enjoy my giant robots with more over the top fun. Classic 70's and 80's Super Robot shows didn't take themselves too seriously and seeing giant robots kick some giant monster ass is always fun to watch.

- I find Tokyo Ghoul to be super overrated. The show feels like it was made for teenagers that just discover gore for the first time. The show is poorly-written and thinks it's smarter than it is.

- Corpse Party had nice animation and that was about it. It was just a bunch of Teenagers getting killed and none of them are likeable. I don't get why the show is rank so high on MAL (Maybe it has some moe in it. I don't know?)

- I didn't find Lucky Star funny at all. Even as someone who gets the pop culture references, I find the show to be dull.

- RahXephon is probably one of the worst anime that I've ever seen in my life. If I made a Top 5 bottom anime that I've seen, it would be at #2 next to Kiss x Sis. I remember renting it from Netflix in High School and I give up after episode 3. It was boring, confusing and trying to deep. I think it's artsy and deep when it's not. I could not sit through any of it at all. The animation is fantastic, but has nothing of substance to offer. Just sitting through any episode would put me to sleep. Everything really drags and felt so convoluted. I had no idea what the hell was going on in the first episode. The first three episodes alone was a chore to watch and I refuse to watch the rest of the show.

- I drop Attack on Titan after 5 episodes. Cool concept, but I did not like any main characters.

- I didn't care for Mai-HiME at all because I didn't care for the story and characters. It was okay at best.

- D.Gray-man is just another typical Shonen anime to me. I never got into the hype of the show.

- Most OVAs from the 80's and 90's are better than most people give them credit for. Yeah you have some really bad ones, but titles like Iria, Pet Shop of Horrors, Twilight of the Dark Master, Gunsmith Cats, Psycho Diver, and Phantom Quest Corpse are solid forgotten gems in my opinion.

- Violence Jack is nowhere as bad as people make it out to be. Until recently, no one really care about it or said anything bad about it. It is not high art anime, but I do find it enjoyable for being a total grind house anime. Violence Jack has a nice social commentary the idea that "human beings are innately awful and its only societal norms that keep us from being total animals and tearing one another apart", etc.

- Toonami did help young kids get into anime, but it is not the ultimate gateway for Anime & Manga. Anime & Manga fans exist long before Toonami and Pokemon in 1998. Not to mention most of the shows on Toonami are not that great when you re-visit them. It seems like people only remember Toonami, but not the other anime blocks on TV like Sci-Fi's Saturday Anime or Starz's Anime Action Block.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Thu May 25, 2017 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Phantom Quest Corp was okay, but I wouldn't say it's a forgotten classic that has to be seen or anything.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
It may not be the best anime ever, but I do enjoy it for having funny humor and it was very nicely animated. I'm also a sucker for any type of businesses trying to stop supernatural forces like Ghostbusters and Buffy.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Ahh. I'm guessing you've seen Ghost Sweeper Mikami then. I could use an opinion on that one since I only saw part of one episode and it looked funny enough.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578

Phantom Quest Corp. is a fun little comedy OVA. It has a great OST.

That said there is no anime that is no anime that is so classic that it must be seen. Anime is entertainment. If the subject matter of a show is such that you as an individual do not care to watch it, you don't have to. An entire genre of anime may be skipped if that is your pleasure. This in no way prevents you from claiming that you are an anime fan. Failure to watch a show, does (or should), logically, seriously limit your ability to discuss that show. However that doesn't seem to stop some people from doing so.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm also not a fan of Magical Girl shows and manga. Cuite Honey and Devil Hunter Yohko are the two that I really enjoy the most for their action and cool characters.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Washu is best girl, not Ryoko. Neutral It is a fact, not an opinion.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
Toonami is far from being overrated, originally it served as an easily accessible portal to anime sorely missing from TV in the United States circa a decade ago. It's primarily for children getting into anime not seasoned watchers who've seen 40+ series from the get go.

My issue with Toonami is that the fanboys act like Toonami made anime popular in the US when Anime & Manga was popular long before Toonami exist. You had anime on TV too like Sci-Fi and Starz. Where's the 90's and early 2000's nostalgia for those channels?

Any video store that sold VHS tapes had anime for sale or rent. Sure you had to pay $35 or $40 for two episodes (maybe three if you are lucky), but anime was not some thing that Japan kept in a lock until 1998. I guess people have been living a bubble that only had kids shows and movies. It bothers me that people only remembers the old anime on kids networks like Pokemon, DBZ, Hamtaro and Digimon while the old popular ones like Platlabor, Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis, Record of Lodoss War, Zenki, Vampire Hunter D and several others are forgotten by today's fandom.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
My issue with Toonami is that the fanboys act like Toonami made anime popular in the US when Anime & Manga was popular long before Toonami exist.

Er..............it really wasn't. Toonami definitely DID put anime on the map in America. I really don't think anyone could argue with that. I mean sure, you had that one shelf of anime VHS tapes in Suncoast, that little section of ADV OVAs to rent at Blockbuster, and that occasional movie on Sci-Fi but to say "Toonami didn't contribute largely to anime's popularity" would be an outright lie.

Quote:
Any video store that sold VHS tapes had anime for sale or rent. Sure you had to pay $35 or $40 for two episodes (maybe three if you are lucky), but anime was not some thing that Japan kept in a lock until 1998.

It was niche as hell though. TV is the best way to spread knowledge of various shows existing. Anime was no exception. It was so niche before it got a block on TV that lots of people didn't even know what it was. I always had to explain to them.

Quote:
It bothers me that people only remembers the old anime on kids networks like Pokemon, DBZ, Hamtaro and Digimon while the old popular ones like Platlabor, Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis, Record of Lodoss War, Zenki, Vampire Hunter D and several others are forgotten by today's fandom.

I've seen or at least heard of ALL of those; feel better? :p
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

Well, anime was popular with me before I ever heard of Toonami and since I'm the only one who counts . . . Wink Actually I've never even seen Toonami. Where is it when it is at home?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
toonami is on Cartoon Network. Starts every Saturday night at 11pm
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I'll have to remember to check and see if our cable offers the Cartoon Network. Not that it matters.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
@nobahn

Thanks, those links helped.

They show I haven't missed anything. Anything on the list of shows that I'm interested in, I already have. They also explain the difference between the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. People tend to obscure the fact that one is just an autonomous part of the other.

I do have a question though, did they really air Black Lagoon with the existing dub or did they tone it down some?

My wife thinks we probably have the Cartoon Network on her cable. She is not sure as she hasn't tried to access it. I don't think it is on mine.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It was the same dub of Black Lagoon with a lot of bleeps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 64 of 84