• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty amusing when Deadman Wonderland aired. Occasional rough language for the fist 5 eps, then Minatsuki made her debut, and half that ep was bleeped.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
^Haha I saw that ep; that was insane. Anime hyper

.....it was kinda shocking with what they DID let Minatsuki say.....which goes to show that you can be extremely vulgar without using the seven words.....o___O

@Alan45: A lot of teens and younger kids across America were first introduced to anime through Toonami (and possibly converted to anime enthusiasts). If someone hypothetically were to go back in time and stop Toonami from happening, I think the anime fandom today would be significantly smaller.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
@Chiibi

I wasn't trying to suggest that there was anything wrong with Toonami. I just had no experience with it and wondered what was going on. I'm all in favor of anime having as large an audience as possible here since it takes a lot of people to sustain the US industry I'm dependent on.

My first experience with anime was in a comic shop selling VHS tapes. Until I got and internet connection that would handle streaming all the anime I saw came from tapes, DVDs or Blurays. I've never seen an anime program on either a broadcast or cable channel.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Alan wrote:
I've never seen an anime program on either a broadcast or cable channel.

The SciFi channel (before they went with that stupid name change) would show the odd anime film. For a while the SciFi/SyFy channel had a programming deal with Manga Entertainment. I knew that that the agreement was expiring and not being renewed when the programming block was changed from Monday evenings to 2AM(?) on Tuesdays.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
My issue with Toonami is that the fanboys act like Toonami made anime popular in the US when Anime & Manga was popular long before Toonami exist.

Er..............it really wasn't. Toonami definitely DID put anime on the map in America. I really don't think anyone could argue with that. I mean sure, you had that one shelf of anime VHS tapes in Suncoast, that little section of ADV OVAs to rent at Blockbuster, and that occasional movie on Sci-Fi but to say "Toonami didn't contribute largely to anime's popularity" would be an outright lie.

Toonami did help sure, but there has been anime fans in the US like 20-30 years before Toonami exist. There was a bigger selection of anime on VHS at local video stores unless your local video store only carry Pokemon or DBZ. There was many titles from ADV, CPM, Manga, Streamline, Pioneer and several others. If your place had VHS tapes, they had anime as well.

When Toonami was at it's prime in 1998-2000, the anime that they would put out on VHS and DVD was aim to the kids watching Toonami like Twilight of the Dark Master, Kite, Space Adventure Cobra, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Serial Experiments Lain and Perfect Blue. Anyone who thinks anime in the late 90's and early 2000's was just Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball must been only living a Cartoon Network bubble.

Not to mention, I hated it seem like the whole anime market was flooded with Shonen thanks to Toonami and we didn't get much Seinen after the early 2000's expect for a few here and there. Back in the past, we had a good verity of titles and not flooded with titles made for 8 year olds like Digimon.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I though Yuri on Ice was completely forgettable. Yes, it's a serious gay romance between adult characters. Since that's very rare in the medium of animation it got very popular and the animation is excellent as well. The writing is ok but overall the show was just a well made ok experience for me. It wasn't artistically impressive IMO, 2016 shows like Mob Psycho 100 and Flipp Flappers were much more interesting and contained more interesting experimental elements in the second case and just raw entertainment in the first case. Heck, I even liked Re-Zero way more. It's true I am a fan of fantasy and sci-fi as well but I love slice of life stuff and my favorite anime/manga of all time is a sports manga like Yuri on Ice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
It was so niche before it got a block on TV that lots of people didn't even know what it was. I always had to explain to them.

You know things can be popular without the help of TV right? There are many things that became big and mainstream before TV exist. There was a market for anime before CN aired DBZ and KidsWB! had Pokemon. Sure CN help, but I would find it insulting to older generation of fans that the kids that saw DBZ and Pokemon in 1998 are the first wave of fans ever.

Chiibi wrote:

If someone hypothetically were to go back in time and stop Toonami from happening, I think the anime fandom today would be significantly smaller.

That's probably because I notice most millennials are pretty clueless of any type of pop culture that is not related to kids movies and TV shows.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
Part 2 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is overall better than Part 3, though part 3 has a few select moments that outshine part 2.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I like part 2 over part 3 as well. Part 1 is still my favorite part of Jojo because I love the dark and gothic tone of the first part of the series. My biggest issue with Part 3 is too many characters in the story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of all parts of JoJo. I did really like Part 2. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges however because once you throw in the Stands, it becomes a different beast. It took me a while to get used to the Stands, but once I did, I was onboard.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
IMO, 2016 shows like Mob Psycho 100 and Flipp Flappers were much more interesting and contained more interesting experimental elements in the second case and just raw entertainment in the first case.

Are you not of the view that Flip Flappers simply bit off more than it could chew when trying to substantiate its characters' histories? In its second half, it seemed to lack its previous keenness for exploring personalities and relationships, while still keeping its cards too close to its chest to retain a sense of mystery. By the time that all revelations concerning Mimi were revealed, were you still as attached to the show as you were in its earlier prime?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I usually count Part 3 as two different parts. The Journey to Egypt and the Battle of Egypt arc respectively. So if someone asks what my favorite animated parts of JoJo are, I'll go...

Part 4, Part 3 Egypt Battle, Part 2, Part 1, Part 3: Journey to Egypt.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-, it took me a while to get into this "stands" thing. At first I though it was so silly that I couldn't fully get into the show, but that's the charm of many anime is the fact there is a lot of silly stuff but it's those silly things that provide a special experience.

Zin5ki wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:
IMO, 2016 shows like Mob Psycho 100 and Flipp Flappers were much more interesting and contained more interesting experimental elements in the second case and just raw entertainment in the first case.

Are you not of the view that Flip Flappers simply bit off more than it could chew when trying to substantiate its characters' histories? In its second half, it seemed to lack its previous keenness for exploring personalities and relationships, while still keeping its cards too close to its chest to retain a sense of mystery. By the time that all revelations concerning Mimi were revealed, were you still as attached to the show as you were in its earlier prime?

I was very much into the show during it's whole duration. It's true it became a bit messy torwards the end but I still think it was better than the rest of the stuff from 2016, specially because I like that type of self conscious and artistically experimental animated shows, such as Kaiba, Ping Pong, Serial Experiments Lain or Haibane Renmei. I find this type of shows to be inherently superior to more plain stuff like Yuri on Ice, so even relative failures like Flip Flappers get a higher mark from me.

But I also found 2016 to be a bit weaker year for animation overall at least in terms of producing high level masterpieces. In 2014 we got a masterpiece in Ping Pong and another in Shirobako, in 2015, we got Yuri Kuma Arashi, and now in 2017 we have the artistic masterpiece that is Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. My top pick for 2016 is Flip Flappers and I think it's weaker than all these other shows. Although I haven't watched some of the top anime movies from 2016, like In This Corner of the World and Silent Voice (which I read the manga).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Gash Bell (known as Zatch Bell! in most places outside of Japan) had one of the worst non-4kids localizations ever to be aired on a popular anime block. It is terrible, and the fact that Crunchyroll only streams the dub and the DVDs come with the edited dub only makes me sick. It's forcing people to watch the anime illegally to see a version that isn't terrible.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I never got into Zach Bell because it look like another typical monster battle Shonen type of show. I never got why people over the age of 10 are still into toy driven shows like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Zoids, Digimon and many others. They are nice when you are a little kid, but there are better stuff out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 65 of 84