• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
@ Ignatz & phia_one,

But 2ng Gig IS better. I've not heard the contrary view put. Yes, the Laughing Man concept in the first season is more interesting than any single idea in the second but it takes up less than ½ the season and everything else is pretty well disposable. 2nd Gig is more cohesive, more organic & has a more urgent feel to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
errinundra wrote:
2nd Gig is ranked #33 on the bayesian scale by ANN users while the 1st season is ranked #90, so I think you're actually with the majority, which includes me.

This is something that pretty much always happens with sequels. Almost no one is going to watch the second season if they didn't enjoy the first one, so it's no wonder that it's going to rank higher when it already has a ready-made fandom from the first season.

Your logic makes no sense. ANN's rankings note how people rated a given title. So sure, a sequel to a popular title will have a built in audience but if that audience doesn't believe the sequel is as good as the original, the rankings will reflect that. For example, I have often heard that the second season of Shakugan no Shana wasn't as good as the first (I have only seen the first, so I am in no position to comment, myself). Sure enough, season 1 ranks #343 on the bayesian estimate while season 2 is #438.

I also can't comment on 2nd Gig versus the first season of GitS since I've only seen the first season. However, considering I was somewhat underwhelmed by it - Laughing Man or no - I have no trouble believing it probably is better.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Fair enough. I apologise. I guess I really shouldn't judge people who find the stuff I love to be boring (after all, my favorite anime is Texhnolyze, and Mushishi is most probably going to be the next anime I'll rate as "Masterpiece" after I finish it), since, now that I think about it, I myself don't hesitate giving a "So-so" rating to the things I find boring, even if it's something well-made.

I was very impressed by Mushishi, it wasn't exactly my type of anime though but I still rated it as good (you appear to be very harsh in your ratings compared to mine as well, if I enjoyed something I easily give it a good rating). I understand why many people have it in their top 10 though.

Quote:
As for FMA:B, having seen the first Fullmetal Alchemist series before watching it, I was simply annoyed by how inferior FMA:B was. Again, all this is just my opinion, so you are free to disagree.

I haven't watched the first one. I loved FMAB but here most people in the forums who have watched both appear to prefer the first, so I actually plan to watch the first one.

Quote:
I, for one, absolutely love crime shows. The reason is because they usually deal with issues that are grounded in reality. It's one of the things I wish anime had more of, instead of just being stuck in the fantasy land.

I think that slice of life anime such as Azumanga Daioh and K-ON are much more grounded in the reality of daily life than crime shows which effectively are a form of fantasy since most people will never experience what Dr. Tenma or Walter White experienced even though it doesn't break any laws of physics. And I generally find anime and manga to be very realistic in their depiction of the psychological state of it's characters if compared to western TV and movies even if they have fantasy and sci fi settings, it's one of the things that attract me is that realism that makes me identify strongly with the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
Ignatz wrote:
errinundra wrote:
junglebook wrote:
Anime is a self-serving industry that profits too much of the culture it claims to be against.

What does it claim to be against? Who is the spokesperson who says this?

This is one of the fine examples.

Miyazaki doesn't depend on otaku buck at all, nor does he depend on late night anime tropes. This isn't an example at all.

He doesn't, but the industry does, so saying that they are a problem is just ridiculous.

Miyazaki loves to say ridiculous things. I read the semi-autobiographical books Starting Point and Turning Point which gave me good idea of how his mind works. There he pretty much said that everything is garbage: anime he did not direct = garbage, Disney = garbage, all Japanese color live action films = garbage (though he said good was Kurosawa and Mizoguchi's monochrome films).

He also said that it's important that people should always be afraid of the mythical monster from the forest (the deer god in Princess Mononoke) to maintain social cohesion, if not, people will become hedonists and society will not work (like is happening in Spain and Greece). Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Shocked
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
@Blood, it actually makes quite a bit of sense, you should probably look into it more before dismissing the phenomenon. One of my favorite examples is Natsume's Book of Friends. Four seasons and I believe each one is rated higher than the last, I guess it just keeps getting better!

edit: it is most noticeable in shows without a discernible drop in quality season to season. People who enjoy the series rate it the same and those that don't like it stop watching. You can see how this would lead to escalating ratings as a show progresses.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

Miyazaki loves to say ridiculous things. I read the semi-autobiographical books Starting Point and Turning Point which gave me good idea of how his mind works. There he pretty much said that everything is garbage: anime he did not direct = garbage, Disney = garbage, all Japanese color live action films = garbage (though he said good was Kurosawa and Mizoguchi's monochrome films).

Funny I can totally picture him saying those. It does reflect in his work that he constantly works in similar motifs about a precocious child encountering supernatural creature some way or a fierce main character protecting her tribe from the foreign forces in fictional mystical land.

I would like to add to the topic that I didn't enjoy Spirited Away that much. I feel Miyazaki's 90's films seem superior. In terms of visual presentation, it's great and sublime piece but in storytelling or character department, I expected more.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
I would like to add to the topic that I didn't enjoy Spirited Away that much. I feel Miyazaki's 90's films seem superior. In terms of visual presentation, it's great and sublime piece but in storytelling or character department, I expected more.

I agree with this assessment of Spirited Away and found Howl's Moving Castle even less compelling. Ponyo was cute but was obviously a movie for children.

I first started watching anime after seeing a DVD of Mononoke Hime. I haven't seen a film by Miyazaki since that I thought reached the level of Mononoke. The Lady Eboshi is one of the most complex characters I've seen in anime since she embodies the conflict between progress and the natural world that underpins the entire film. It's hard to see Eboshi as a villainness when she rescues prostitutes and lepers and helps them rebuild their lives.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
We are all different, which is a good thing.

Along with Porco Rosso, Spirited Away is my favourite Miyazaki film. I like the way both lead characters, Porco & Chihiro, change over the course of their movies. No-one changes much in Princess Mononoke.

I agree that the best thing about PM is Lady Eboshi but she has far too little screen time. The two leads - Ashitaka and, especially, San - are the dullest protagonists Miyazaki ever inflicted on us. Once Ashitaka leaves Iron Town the movie loses its mojo, both visually and story-wise.

I also prefer My Neighbour Totoro and Nausicaa, but, as I said, we are all different.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
@Blood, it actually makes quite a bit of sense, you should probably look into it more before dismissing the phenomenon. One of my favorite examples is Natsume's Book of Friends. Four seasons and I believe each one is rated higher than the last, I guess it just keeps getting better!

I think that the main reason why this phenomenon happens is that character development occurs where fans get more and more attached to the characters so the ratings go up as the emotional reactions increase as you start to care more and more for the same characters.

Aria's seasons are also ranked higher and higher here and in other sites though The Origination is truly the peak of the 3 seasons, while I found the first two to be of the same quality. Sometimes the seasons that follow the first ones work by progressing towards a climax, Aria certainly worked in that way.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Wrathful wrote:

I agree with this assessment of Spirited Away and found Howl's Moving Castle even less compelling. Ponyo was cute but was obviously a movie for children.

I first started watching anime after seeing a DVD of Mononoke Hime. I haven't seen a film by Miyazaki since that I thought reached the level of Mononoke. The Lady Eboshi is one of the most complex characters I've seen in anime since she embodies the conflict between progress and the natural world that underpins the entire film. It's hard to see Eboshi as a villainness when she rescues prostitutes and lepers and helps them rebuild their lives.

Princess Mononoke is perhaps Miyazaki's most powerful and impressive movie but I found myself loving Nausicaa and My Neighbor Totoro slightly more, I rate the 3 as masterpieces though. I think that nearly all his movies can be regarded as masterpieces of almost uniform quality (I think that he is pretty much unique in that regard, other filmmakers always have more variance in quality). Miyazaki's weakest movie though is Ponyo.
Impish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
I've only seen about four Hayao Miyazaki movies- Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service. The only one I liked was Kiki's; the others just didn't interest me.

Another unpopular opinion is that I did not like Anohana. I just didn't find it sad.

Also, I love all versions of FMA, though I'm not sure if that's entirely unpopular.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Impish wrote:
Another unpopular opinion is that I did not like Anohana. I just didn't find it sad.

Wh-wh-what is wrong with you!!! Wink

To be honest I thought it would be very unpopular of me to say Anohana is easily my favourite anime series.

Another one for me is that I didn't really enjoy Princess Tutu all that much. I found it very slow and not a lot happened; many love the character development but it did very little for me.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
^ Um...maybe you're right? I'm on my second viewing of Princess Tutu, so I can't really make a counterargument until I finish. I like the show fine, and that's because of the lovable main character, the mysteries, the moral ambiguity in certain places, and of course, the MUSIC~. I dunno. If you were looking for a fist-fighting or fast-paced magical girl anime like, say, Pretty Cure if the reviews I've seen say anything about it, this show isn't it. It takes it's sweet time developing it's cast, story, and themes. To me, that's perfectly okay. I forgot how much I liked this anime. Oh well. More for me! Very Happy
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Haha, it would seem that way. I was looking for a good story but I just didn't like the pacing and every thing seemed very lacklustre; I didn't want it to be all guns blazing but she just seemed to turn into a princess and all danger would disappear - it's been a while since I watched it and kept falling sleep when watching it Embarassed so that is probably a very basic and unfair portal. I think falling asleep during it sums up my thoughts Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 84