• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Know Your Copyrights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Lots of unlicensed shows randomly off the top of my head, a few recent, most old... where's Hyakko, School Days, Myself; Yourself, Asura Cryin 1,2, Canvas 2, Rio Rainbow Gate, Lilpri, Sketchbook Full Colors, Shugo Chara, R-15, Itsuten, Letter Bee, Rio Rainbow Gate, 07 Ghost, Mashiroiro Symphony, Natsu no Arashi 1,2, Astarotte's Toy, Juden-chan, Chu-Bra, etc, etc,
... not to mention all the sports titles?

Just to mention, you listed Rio Rainbow Gate twice.

But I'll add to the crowd and say that I may be werid for being interested in shows like Souten Kouro, Hyouge Mono, the Ring ni Kakero 1 animes, and even Showa Monogatari, yet I can't watch any of those shows via legal streams. Hell, out of this list I just made, only Souten Kouro has been fully fansubbed, and that took a good bit for it to be fully-subbed. I had to watch raws for Seasons 2-4 of Ring ni Kakero 1 as they aired in 2006, 2010, and 2011, respectfully, and even now you can't watch Season 4 or even the second half of Season 3 fansubbed in English yet.

I can't really say that we're getting "nearly every new anime" streamed until these niche shows actually get streamed. I'm not even including the kids animes or the yearly entries in long-running shows like Pretty Cure here... But you can't make me say that we "get everything" until we actually, well, get everything. Sure, I may be alone, or at least in a small minority, is watching those niche shows from the paragraph above legally, but should that mean I have to settle? I don't think so.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The blog post about Negima would be easier to dismiss if they really were off-handed comments, but the tumblr was specifically about it, and the translator who posted it on the forum post was reliable throughout Negima's run. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
kamanashi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Now that's an ignorant and dismissive statement. No one wants to watch the annual PreCure, really? Despite it being huge in many other countries? I doubt that. Just because you don't like those shows doesn't mean other people won't.

It's not ignorant, it is just the truth. The only real reason fansubs exist anymore are for people who are impatient or don't like to pay for anime.

I think I just worded my reply incorrectly, what I meant was that fansubs just aren't important to the community anymore. In the 90s and early 2000s, they had a place.

Fans subs wouldn't bother me that much if they would actually just not sub shows that are being simulcast, or shows that are obviously going to come out in English eventually. Take for example Death Note, it sold extremely well in the US. If there was going to be a 2nd season, but it wasn't simulcast, there would still be no reason for fansubbers to sub it because it would most definitely be released in English eventually.

And yes, I know that the US isn't the only English speaking anime consuming country, but most fansubs are downloaded by US residents.

Also, PreCure may not be simulcast, but there is a reason it's not. It wouldn't be watched. It's not financially reasonable to license it. There may be fans of the show, but they are not very vocal about it, or at least not vocal enough to gain the attention of the companies.

I know fansubs will never go away, and if a fan feels like they have to download it, I can't stop them. I just want people to stop justifying fansubs and at least admit they are doing more harm than good in there current form.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
kamanashi wrote:

Fansubs honestly have no reason to exist in such an abundance anymore.

For the most part, they don't, unless you count "fan-edits" of official subtitles as "fansubs".

Of course, there are a few groups that sub simulcast shows from scratch for the sake of "integrity" (since the official subs are "poorly translated" according to fans who don't know the language anyway), but to no one's surprise, these groups are mostly made up of people who don't know a whole lot of Japanese, and their releases have predictably poor translations
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
kamanashi wrote:
It's not ignorant, it is just the truth. The only real reason fansubs exist anymore are for people who are impatient or don't like to pay for anime.

Or want to watch it in high quality, as most streaming quality is, well, streaming quality. I myself also like to have files that I can screenshot and watch without having to wait for a stream to buffer and use up even more of my monthly internet usage limit.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If Akamatsu was simply a purveyor of panty shots and gags people would not be pissed. The reason people were pissed at Negima's ending was that most of the plot wasn't finished. From what I heard what is supposed to be the final arc is simply written about in the epilouge.

I relooked, and I have no idea what your talking about. Care to elaborate?
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
More fuel to the fire in terms of the "Negima ending because of the Neighbouring copyright" issue: Air Gear and Sayonara, Zetsubo-sensei, two more manga titles that appear in Shounen Magazine (the magazine that featured Negima), are also going to end soon. Hence, unless there's concern about the world ending in December, I really think that there's something big going behind the scenes at Kodansha that's resulting in a number of their titles coming to an end soon.
rojse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
kamanashi wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Now that's an ignorant and dismissive statement. No one wants to watch the annual PreCure, really? Despite it being huge in many other countries? I doubt that. Just because you don't like those shows doesn't mean other people won't.

I think I just worded my reply incorrectly, what I meant was that fansubs just aren't important to the community anymore. In the 90s and early 2000s, they had a place.

Fans subs wouldn't bother me that much if they would actually just not sub shows that are being simulcast, or shows that are obviously going to come out in English eventually. Take for example Death Note, it sold extremely well in the US. If there was going to be a 2nd season, but it wasn't simulcast, there would still be no reason for fansubbers to sub it because it would most definitely be released in English eventually.

And yes, I know that the US isn't the only English speaking anime consuming country, but most fansubs are downloaded by US residents.

Also, PreCure may not be simulcast, but there is a reason it's not. It wouldn't be watched. It's not financially reasonable to license it. There may be fans of the show, but they are not very vocal about it, or at least not vocal enough to gain the attention of the companies.

I know fansubs will never go away, and if a fan feels like they have to download it, I can't stop them. I just want people to stop justifying fansubs and at least admit they are doing more harm than good in there current form.

Can we stop categorising everyone that downloads fansubs as those that just want to watch the latest anime releases for free? Fansubs are also for people that appreciate older and/or more niche anime releases that have never seen a licenced DVD release. For myself, I would never have had the chance to see some of my favourite old-school mecha shows like "Zambot 3" or "Space Runaway Ideon" if it weren't for fansubs, for example.

And I feel it is important to note that I have a decent legal anime collection that I have spent my hard-earnt money on to support the companies that produce shows that I enjoy.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Six years and still no Onmyou Taisenki sub much less dub. Thank goodness for fansubs!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
kamanashi wrote:
eventually

When that eventually means a 2+ year gaps from when it aired to when it actually gets released (B Gata H Kei), that's a big problem. To call people impatent for not wanting to wait two years is laughable, and the kind of mindset that fuels piracy and the downfall of R1 companies in the first place. Video game companies are already realizing this, and video games are only delayed a few months between countries, let alone years.

Quote:

Why do any fans need to be "vocal"? The series has already proven it's success without the need for being vocal. If companies don't want to license it or stream it that's their choice, and frankly most fansub viewers don't care if they do or not.

Madoka and Lupin are in the same boat, fans don't care if they get streamed or not. The only people losing out are the simulcast companies. It's literally no skin off the fans nose since they can watch it anyway. Remember, piracy is a service problem.

Quote:

Streaming anime sites wouldn't exist if fansubs didn't, in case you didn't know.

Adamanto wrote:
Of course, there are a few groups that sub simulcast shows from scratch for the sake of "integrity" (since the official subs are "poorly translated" according to fans who don't know the language anyway), but to no one's surprise, these groups are mostly made up of people who don't know a whole lot of Japanese, and their releases have predictably poor translations

Oh geez, not this again. You can blindly love 'official translations' all you want, but that badge doesn't mean it's actually the best translation.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I missed out on answering the answerfan question of the week so I'll answer here.

The strangest fansub I ever watched was Overdrive.

A 26 episode anime based on an 18 volume manga and all of it was about cycling. Half of the episodes were entirely about a single race. I really liked it, but something like that has no chance in english speaking territories. I'm surprised it even got fansubbed.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Overdrive was great, albeit structured like most sports anime, with a bit of romance thrown in; except spoiler[he ends up totally, completely defeated in the end!] which was very frustrating

The sports shows, maybe all of them, are fansubbed though (if not picked up by CR at least). The entire Major franchise for example Shocked And more recently, Moshidora, another baseball anime centering around the female manager, and combines Peter Drucker's business management book of all things (not as strange as it sounds--it also focuses on the relationships more so than the game), still got 3 groups to sub it.

You're right though, that no one is interested in them for video release in the US
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

There are 42 shows this season, from ANN's own season feature list, and 20 that are not simulcasted using the news so far up to today (so I included Sankarea), *and* I'm being generous by excluding shows from the no-show list that I think will be simulcasted like Fate/Zero 2 and Rock Lee and Lupin III, as well as a couple ongoing franchises.

I'm afraid you haven't been keeping up with the news well enough as the second half of Fate/Zero was announced by Crunchyroll as a continuing series before the end of March, and the Rock Lee series was announced as a Crunchyroll simulcast by ANN back on April 2:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-02/crunchyroll-adds-rock-lee-spinoff-tv-anime-series

Considering only one simulcast has been announced by either member of Funico at this moment, and none of their winter slate of 7 shows continue into the next season (unlike Fall 2011), they are going to need several more shows to fill the gap. In short, you're not being as generous as you think. Try again at the end of the month, and you'll have a far more accurate picture.

Shenl742 wrote:

I think he meant "It showed up [for streaming] eventually. Yes, yes, I know - dub only"

Then how long ago was this article written? Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Crackle are now in their 8th week of streaming a subtitled version of the series.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
What about the anime movies?

I've been waiting a long time for the One Piece movies and the only one that got licensed was one that seems to just be a recap of the alabasta arc, and One Piece isn't even an obscure anime. I have next to no hope for something like the S-cry-ed or King of Thorn movies. And every season there's always a few movies that I never hear about again unless it was a Studio Ghibli, a Naruto, or a Bleach movie.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting proposal the 3rd letter sender has, and I agree. The dub grades on reviews should be given by dub only watchers and the sub grades given by sub only watchers.

Re: Best first episode/chapter - Haruhi broadcast first episode with no prior knowledge of series. Manga-wise, Choku! first chapter, Welcome to the NHK first chapter. These are the most entertaining and not that representative of the series. Choku! beginning is fairly representative, though.

kamanashi wrote:
Yes, there are some anime that never make it over, but it is typically the stuff that no one ever wants to watch.

Can't tell if this silly opinion is fostered by the naive reliance on the R1 industry or general lack of interest in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4