• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Know Your Copyrights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
configspace wrote:

There are 42 shows this season, from ANN's own season feature list, and 20 that are not simulcasted using the news so far up to today (so I included Sankarea), *and* I'm being generous by excluding shows from the no-show list that I think will be simulcasted like Fate/Zero 2 and Rock Lee and Lupin III, as well as a couple ongoing franchises.

I'm afraid you haven't been keeping up with the news well enough as the second half of Fate/Zero was announced by Crunchyroll as a continuing series before the end of March, and the Rock Lee series was announced as a Crunchyroll simulcast by ANN back on April 2:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-02/crunchyroll-adds-rock-lee-spinoff-tv-anime-series

Considering only one simulcast has been announced by either member of Funico at this moment, and none of their winter slate of 7 shows continue into the next season (unlike Fall 2011), they are going to need several more shows to fill the gap. In short, you're not being as generous as you think. Try again at the end of the month, and you'll have a far more accurate picture.

As I mentioned: ".. *and* I'm being generous by excluding shows from the no-show list that I think will be simulcasted like Fate/Zero 2 and Rock Lee and Lupin III, as well as a couple ongoing franchises."
So the 20 no-show figure already excludes Fate/Zero 2 and Rock Lee and Lupin III.

But yes, I'd expect a couple more. With the latest news we're down to 18 unlicensed now. Usually 1/2 to about 2/3 are simulcasted for any given season, not counting a few franchises that remain perpetually unlicensed. Having that much is good yes, but that is still a far cry from the point originally made about fansubs and the false claim that virtually everything being simulcasted or even licensed at all for that matter, like many of the examples already discussed.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
Anyone else know Dennou Coil or am I alone here? It's not licensed and it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Anyone else know Dennou Coil or am I alone here? It's not licensed and it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon...

Dennou Coil actually WAS licensed...

by a cell phone company with a really crappy sounding release

who knows if that somehow blocks a dvd release or not though
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Dennou Coil actually WAS licensed...

by a cell phone company with a really crappy sounding release

who knows if that somehow blocks a dvd release or not though

...And I have been kept in the darkness about this for how long?
Should I even consider that a license?
That's like someone took the show and threw it down a well so that no remotely respectable company could touch it. Forget about people actually knowing it exists...
Thanks for the information, though. Wikipedia and other sites should update themselves with it, at least.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The sports shows, maybe all of them, are fansubbed though (if not picked up by CR at least). The entire Major franchise for example Shocked And more recently, Moshidora, another baseball anime centering around the female manager, and combines Peter Drucker's business management book of all things (not as strange as it sounds--it also focuses on the relationships more so than the game), still got 3 groups to sub it.

You're right though, that no one is interested in them for video release in the US

Not exactly all sports animes are subbed either, just to clarify. Something like Monkey Turn, an excellent kyotei/hydroboat-racing anime whose original manga tied Hikaru no Go for the Tezuka Award, is only available subbed via bootleg subs with a very rough English translation, and it's sequel anime, Monkey Turn V, isn't subbed at all. That has made the show all the more obscure and unknown, even though it's honestly one of the best recent sports anime I've seen.

Then there's also the Ring ni Kakero 1 animes, which are horribly and wrongfully ignored, whose English fansubs aren't caught up to what has been made of the show yet. Hell, even the fansubs group that is known for doing sports anime dropped it when the the first season was new because it's fairly different from most sports animes, even the "shonen-ized" ones. I personally, though, love the super-powered boxing style is utilizes.

Of course, I'm sure we're just talking about recent sports anime, i.e. stuff that has been made within the past 10 years, at the absolute most. CrunchyRoll is pretty good about getting sports anime on their site, but even they miss a title here and there.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

As I mentioned: ".. *and* I'm being generous by excluding shows from the no-show list that I think will be simulcasted like Fate/Zero 2 and Rock Lee and Lupin III, as well as a couple ongoing franchises."
So the 20 no-show figure already excludes Fate/Zero 2 and Rock Lee and Lupin III.

You missed my point, which was there was no reason to "think they will be simulcasted", as they (Fate/Zero and Rock Lee) had already been announced.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Anyone else know Dennou Coil or am I alone here?

Yes. I watched the fansubs, and loved it. I bought the Japanese Blu-ray box a few months ago... I want a proper home video release in the US, too.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Yes. I watched the fansubs, and loved it. I bought the Japanese Blu-ray box a few months ago... I want a proper home video release in the US, too.

That's no fair. I have the DVDs, but I would rather have a BluRay version. I wasn't aware they were selling one. ):
But they spent over 10 years making the series. It's SUPER quality for its time. It deserves more than just a smart phone release here...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Dennou Coil was recently released over two DVD volumes in Australia. The price point reflects the series' separation from the mainstream, but it is nonetheless readily available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SD Maruko-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
kamanashi wrote:

It's not ignorant, it is just the truth. The only real reason fansubs exist anymore are for people who are impatient or don't like to pay for anime.

Sorry, but you forgot the "spends lots of money on anime but hates streaming" category...
(I'm also of the opinion that more than 1 translations == better, since it can give you choice between more literal and more liberal translations.)

Wall of text I wanted to post at the previous(?) "Hey, Answeman!" but I didn't get around to:

About supporting anime/manga , streaming, fansubs etc.:

I dislike streaming: I want to watch/read my anime/manga anytime, anywhere irregardless of internet status, licence revocations etc. Heck, for the form of streaming called "TV" I've got 2 HDD recorders and a VCR to get around its streamy-ness... Wink

My preferred options of supporting the anime/manga industry:
1) DRM-free files bought from the anime/manga companies
1) fansubs/stream rips/scans(lations) + donations directly to the anime/manga companies
3) fansubs/stream rips/scans(lations) + buying DVDs, manga and merchandise after watching/reading those

Since the first two don't really seem to exist yet, I currently use option 3) , but unfortunately, I'm kind of starting to run out of space and as soon as the Android Full HD tablets are released in a few months, I plan to buy one and move my mobile viewing/reading to it, making physical media even less relevant, so if those first two don't get implemented soon, I might have to go for
option 4) fansubs/stream rips/scans(lations) + thinking "I guess at more than $10K spent on anime/manga/merchandise [1] I've done enough and they don't want to facilitate me giving them more money?"...

(paying for a streaming account isn't an option, since probably too little of that ends up at the anime companies and because I think doing streaming as the only digital option is wrong, it would sends the wrong ("I like your streaming-only decission") signal...)

tl;dr : I want to funnel plenty of my money towards the anime/manga companies, but they hardly provide options to do that that are acceptable to me.

[1] I have nearly 1500 anime DVDs, probably 75+% of them still shrinkwrapped and of those that aren't, probably half are "hmm, I hear something moving around in the case, so let's open it to ensure it's not the DVD" cases. (my www link here links to my anime DVD/VHS collection)
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

That's no fair. I have the DVDs, but I would rather have a BluRay version. I wasn't aware they were selling one. ):

I bought the first three Dennou Coil LE DVDs as they were being released in Japan, but the price/episode kept me from buying the whole series (if I ever intended to buy it all from Japan; there have been a few series that I've bought the first two or three discs from Japan to show some support for a series, but then waited [in vain?] for a US release). Here's Amazon's link to the BD box, if you're interested enough. While I ordered and received it in December, it was only released this past November.

Quote:
It deserves more than just a smart phone release here...

That's definitely true...
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Lots of unlicensed shows randomly off the top of my head, a few recent, most old... where's Hyakko, School Days, Myself; Yourself, Asura Cryin 1,2, Canvas 2, Rio Rainbow Gate, Lilpri, Sketchbook Full Colors, Shugo Chara, R-15, Itsuten, Letter Bee, Rio Rainbow Gate, 07 Ghost, Mashiroiro Symphony, Natsu no Arashi 1,2, Astarotte's Toy, Juden-chan, Chu-Bra, etc, etc,
... not to mention all the sports titles?

As far as School Days, Myself, Yourself, Asura Cryin, Canvas 2, Rio Rainbow Gate, lilpri, Sketchbook, Shugo Chara, R-15, Itsuten, Letter Bee, 07 Ghost, Mashiroiro Symphony, Natsu no Arashi 1,2, Astarotte's Toy, Juden-chan, and Chu-Bra ...

... it looks like they are all licensed by Crunchyroll.

The only one that I see in that list with an expired license is Hyakko,
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I bought the first three Dennou Coil LE DVDs as they were being released in Japan, but the price/episode kept me from buying the whole series (if I ever intended to buy it all from Japan; there have been a few series that I've bought the first two or three discs from Japan to show some support for a series, but then waited [in vain?] for a US release). Here's Amazon's link to the BD box, if you're interested enough. While I ordered and received it in December, it was only released this past November.

I already have the DVD's, though, so that high-end price is probably not worth it in the end. But thank you! The release date probably explains why I never knew about it.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
@agila61

Oh yeah, I wasn't clear about that. I was referring to kamanashi's post referring to pretty old titles like H20 that CR obtained (some expired like you mentioned), but not licensed for video
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@agila61

Oh yeah, I wasn't clear about that. I was referring to kamanashi's post referring to pretty old titles like H20 that CR obtained (some expired like you mentioned), but not licensed for video

Aha, that's why I didn't follow you, since what kamanashi actually said was:
kamanashi wrote:
There are very few that aren't simulcast anymore. 18 out of the 27 (Doesn't include the Nichijou rerun) on the list below from Winter 2012 were simulcast. That leaves only 9 shows not simulcast. Out of those 9 not simulcast, I would expect that at least half will be released on DVD in the US one day, or even picked up by Crunchyroll at a later date similar to how H2O Footprints In The Sand was.

... so talking about series that were simulcast and are still available streaming to this day, but not licensed, which is what you mostly did, would be a total red herring.

Now, Winter and Summer normally do better for streaming on a percentage basis because they include a larger share of weaker series where the production committee is happy for a little bit of extra exposure and maybe a small change of a foreign license ... but even in this Spring, Crunchyroll so far has 22 (it counted Fate/Zero as continuing, even if ANN counts it as a sequel), Viz has 2, Funimation has 3, so that is 27 of your 42.

Of the 42, I think something like 2 are less than 5 minutes long each episode, 1 is for younger kids than we normally consider, and 1 is a cellphone anime, so that's leaves 38.

Three haven't broadcast yet, and one is a sequel with an original that previously streamed, so if it doesn't stream at its original site, that normally means another site has grabbed it. So there's four that wouldn't be in the frame yet.

So maybe 7 out of 34, with 4 still up in the air. And the odds of Eureka 7 AO not getting some license is awfully low, the suspense is who will get it and whether it will simulcast or the stream will wait til closer to disc release ... which is what kamanashi was talking about. Of those few that are not going to be simulcast, a big chunk of the ones remaining could be because they are in negotiation but the licensee isn't all that interested in doing a simulcast.

However, if the focus is on magical girl series, there's two magical girl series that could well go without a license. So there's your future for fansubbing ~ fansubbing those magical girl series that do not become a break-out hit like PMMM.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4