• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Oreimo, Garden of Sinners on DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

I have three of Aniplex's imports, two of the Rurouni Kenshin BD's, and Fate/Zero. All three of them I felt was worth the money. I don't feel gouged at all by them, especially since I understand why those releases MUST be priced the way they are.

So let me get this straight? You bought Samurai X: Reflections or the RK Movie and don't feel you where ripped off? Getting Reflections for free is a ripoff because it takes up space on my shelf. If someone wants me to put Reflections on my shelf than they need to pay me.

....What.

You just stated that you should be payed to buy a piece of entertainment.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

I have three of Aniplex's imports, two of the Rurouni Kenshin BD's, and Fate/Zero. All three of them I felt was worth the money. I don't feel gouged at all by them, especially since I understand why those releases MUST be priced the way they are.

So let me get this straight? You bought Samurai X: Reflections or the RK Movie and don't feel you where ripped off? Getting Reflections for free is a ripoff because it takes up space on my shelf. If someone wants me to put Reflections on my shelf than they need to pay me.

....What.

You just stated that you should be payed to buy a piece of entertainment.

If it's Samurai X: Reflections I should be payed. Rurouni Kenshin is the greatest SJ manga and yet because they refuse to get a new Director the anime are always terrible unless they follow the manga panel by panel.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People should be thankful we're getting this at all.

Quote:
We should be thankful firstly to even geat a legit R1 release

Quote:
first and formost be glad were even getting a R1 release.

Quote:
we should always be thankful and appreciate what others work hard to bring for our enjoyment

Quote:
No wonder we don't get nice things.

See, I just gotta say something to this stuff. As so many people who defend Aniplex's pricing model say “it's a business”. They are not bringing stuff over out of the goodness of their hearts. They are not a charity. They are not selling stuff because you are thankful or appreciative. Its because they think they can make a profit. Whether you are thankful or not has no bearing on whether you are going to get an R1 release. So, there is no need to bend a knee and offer a prayer of thanks. If you find their prices acceptable then buy. If you don't find them acceptable you have the right to express your dissatisfaction. If they don't alter their pricing strategy in response to your dissatisfaction then don't buy and take your money elsewhere.

I personally have bought Aniplex titles in the past and I've also skipped over ones that I didn't think fit my price range. I look forward to Garden of Sinners on DVD and if I find it to be reasonable I will buy. If I think its unreasonable I will voice my discontent and take my money elsewhere.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. If I had a pound for every time someone told me to be grateful for a crappy situation, I'd have enough money to actauly buy Aniplex's trumped up releases.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Again, a false dilemma. You make it sounds like a super expensive BD and a cheap DVD are simply the only possible options. Why though? Why should we be forced to settle for such an unpleasant choice?

lem wrote:
The public "I'm entitled, gimme gimme, you owe me, screw you big meanie Aniplex" type posts here are tiresome. Honestly, who in their right mind wants or needs to see these over and over? If we can have Spoiler Tags, then shouldn't the moderators be able to apply a "SPOILED BRAT" or a " Here's Some Cheese" Tag for these whiny one liners?

Say what you will about the complainers. the amount of whiny butthurt in this post is by far as bad as any of them. It's just differently directed.

I'm not against complaining. It's perfectly okay to complain. That's one of the ways things get resolved and improved upon. It's when one complains and doesn't bring anything else to the table that it comes across as just so much goddamned whining. And that's okay. For little kids. They don't know better.

Now from what I've read of your previous posts you seem very intelligent and express yourself very well. I respect and appreciate that. As for your view of Aniplex though, well, to be frank, I got it the first time. Now it just plays like the petulant reaction of someone that isn't getting what they want. And then you carry on with
Quote:
Why should we be forced to settle for such an unpleasant choice?
as if you are a victim? uh, no one is forcing YOU to do anything. and being able to buy a dvd of a show you want to watch is NOT an unpleasant choice. Can we try to keep things in perspective here? it's just anime you know?
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you guys only get the inferior DVDs of KnK and not the BDs which I once bought for 700$.^^
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
bahamutzero89 wrote:
I'm glad you guys only get the inferior DVDs of KnK and not the BDs which I once bought for 700$.^^

Was there really a need to brag and get all holier-than-thou?
bahamutzero89

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
bahamutzero89 wrote:

Of course, because I'm sick of hearing people say they won't buy things they want if the price is too high. If they are concerned about such trivial facts then they didn't really wanted it to begin with.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
bahamutzero89 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
bahamutzero89 wrote:

Of course, because I'm sick of hearing people say they won't buy things they want if the price is too high. If they are concerned about such trivial facts then they didn't really wanted it to begin with.

There's a difference between wanting something and being able to afford something. I don't have the money to set aside a massive budget for anime. If I can't get anime for a low price I can't get anime at all.

Not everyone can afford something they want.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
bahamutzero89 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
bahamutzero89 wrote:

YES! YES! LET ALL THE PEASANTS EAT CAKE!! Rolling Eyes

Well, excuse us for not committing economic seppuku with you.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Quote:
we should always be thankful and appreciate what others work hard to bring for our enjoyment

See, I just gotta say something to this stuff. As so many people who defend Aniplex's pricing model say “it's a business”. They are not bringing stuff over out of the goodness of their hearts. They are not a charity. They are not selling stuff because you are thankful or appreciative. Its because they think they can make a profit. Whether you are thankful or not has no bearing on whether you are going to get an R1 release. So, there is no need to bend a knee and offer a prayer of thanks. If you find their prices acceptable then buy. If you don't find them acceptable you have the right to express your dissatisfaction. If they don't alter their pricing strategy in response to your dissatisfaction then don't buy and take your money elsewhere.

I personally have bought Aniplex titles in the past and I've also skipped over ones that I didn't think fit my price range. I look forward to Garden of Sinners on DVD and if I find it to be reasonable I will buy. If I think its unreasonable I will voice my discontent and take my money elsewhere.

When I post here and tell you that I'm thankful and I appreciate the work of the people that I buy from, that's what I mean. If you're going to quote someone you shouldn't take them out of context just so you can promote your view(s). My agreeing with takacsh and blazevincent has NOTHING to do with Aniplex's pricing model.

But it does have everything to do with the current mindset of fandom that posts here. Of course everyone can "express their dissatisfaction, simply don't buy, and take their money elsewhere", but honestly, if the entire sum of their dissatisfaction is expressed in the most childish simple minded terms of "no dub = no sale, f* U aniPlex, etc., etc., ad nauseum, I just have to wonder what exactly is the point of their continuing to be allowed and viewable?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
They feel they deserve a Blu-ray like it's their birthright. You can't expect them to do whatever you want them to. They're a business, not a charity.

Well call me crazy but I still believe that a business should treat its customers right. I don't understand this bizarre fetishization of business where making the absolute maximum amount of money becomes the be all end all directive.

Even if you don't accept that though, there are pragmatic reasons to keep your customers happy. I mean, yeah, if you want to be a hard ass about it, you're right. Aniplex absolutely doesn't have to give me anything. That cuts both ways though. I don't have to buy any of their releases. Obviously though the whole idea of business is to make that happen. I want to buy their shows and they want me to buy them. That's where this very adversarial attitude of "they don't have to" breaks down to me.

Quote:
I understand why those releases MUST be priced the way they are. You can't get the Japanese release the same day as them, and pay like $20 for it, it isn't going to freaking happen.

This is a straw man argument. I don't want it on the same day. I'd be fine if this went through the same delayed licensing process that most shows go through. I don't expect to pay $20 either.

Quote:
Then explain why you were so angry at them? Shouldn't you have been more like "No Blu-ray? Well at least those who don't mind a cheaper DVD release can get one."

No. I see no reason I need to speak on behalf of others. I'll let others speak for themselves.

Quote:
It was a "Then & Now" comparison. Which is the better situation, the one we had a few weeks ago, or the one we have now? This is pretty much what this thread is all about

I'm not disputing that the new situation is, relatively speaking, better. That doesn't really contradict my complaint though as I just explained. I don't see any reason why this show couldn't have been given a normally priced BD release as well. Hence, while a DVD may be "better" than nothing, it is worse than getting a DVD and BD and thus, it is perfectly valid to complain that they didn't go with that option.

Quote:
Seriously, people have been begging and begging for a cheaper release since the Blu-ray sold out, and now we have one. Yet, people are going "Aniplex, go **** yourselves." when they're finally giving people a cheaper release.

Yeah but it's also an inferior version. Surely you can see how that ticks people off. They're essentially being told: Oh? You weren't willing to or couldn't afford to pay the immense price we charged for the initial release? Well...fine. You can buy this inferior version I guess. That feels like a total slap in the face to me.

Quote:
Want to know what could happen? We could get a Blu-ray with a dub later on.

That's just empty speculation though. There's not a thing to actually support it at this time. If at some point in the future we get a BD then I'll be satisfied. Until then I don't see why I shouldn't voice my complaints.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
yes people can complain they have a right to I suppose but refer to my other post about anime fans never being pleased. You have seen or talked to plenty of anime fans other to know that most people are hard please in the fan-base. Hell the could offer a free voucher for a hand-job from the female va's and still not be happy...aye... i am just to old/damn cynical to care anymore.

Look, I'll admit you have a point about some fans. Some of them are just really really hard to please. You're lumping everyone together though which is erroneous. Just because some people will never be satisfied hardly means you should dismiss every complaint instantly. There are also plenty of fans who have legitimate and reasonable demands. To just automatically assume otherwise is not cynical. It's just foolhardy.

bahamutzero89 wrote:

bahamutzero89 wrote:

This is kinda funny to me. People often accuse the complainers of being spoiled brats. If you ask me though...anyone who considers spending $700 to be "trivial" is the one who's spoiled.

lem wrote:
uh, no one is forcing YOU to do anything. and being able to buy a dvd of a show you want to watch is NOT an unpleasant choice.

If you want to get pedantic about it, I am forced to either:
-Buy a $400 BD
-Buy a cheaper but inferior DVD version
-Miss out on owning KnK
I don't find any of those options to be very pleasant.

Quote:
Can we try to keep things in perspective here? it's just anime you know?

This is just a straw man argument and a particularly awful one at that. I never said anything to suggest this is the end of the bloody world. That doesn't mean this isn't something one can validly complain about though. Obviously in the grand scheme of things anime and all things related to it don't really matter in the slightest. The same applies to everything you've said as well though.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Well call me crazy but I still believe that a business should treat its customers right.

You are not their customer.

Their pricing, their strategy, all of it, they are not marketing to you.

They know what will turn them a profit, they are not inclined to gamble on the results.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
You are not their customer.

Their pricing, their strategy, all of it, they are not marketing to you.

They know what will turn them a profit, they are not inclined to gamble on the results.

1) Let's go ahead and drop the bold text eh? You can express yourself without being obnoxious about it.

2) The fact that they are re-releasing this on DVD at a (presumably) lower price proves you wrong. Evidently Aniplex does also want people like me to buy this show.

3) Like I just said, this cuts both ways. If you're going to take the hard ass approach that I'm not their customer and so they just don't care about me then fine but then there's really no reason I should give a crap about them either. You can't really criticize my response that they can go to hell while using this attitude to defend them.
Kasugano

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if Garden of Sinners sale well here in the state they might considering releasing the blu ray too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11