• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Simulcast New Lupin III TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
This is really awesome news! I hope that they get really good traffic on this simulcast in order to release it stateside on Blu-Ray. If not, I can always hope that down the line Discotek will eventually get to it! Very Happy
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Knew they'd get it and to be honest, I'm glad they have. Hopefully they later pick up the Home Video rights too.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Well, that's a surprise. Shocked I mean, FUNi let the license run out on the old Lupin stuff they had due to it not selling well, so I have to say, I'm sort of surprised they'd be interested in this new show at all.

...Guess fan service really does speak for itself.

Perhaps they made a profit on the original license on the eight Lupin III specials. You don't re-license based on how much you made on the series, you re-license based on new sales you can expect to generate, and new content normally sells better than old content.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
According to Sonny Strait, FUNi's Lupin releases did make a profit (how much profit? I have no idea), but I'm still surprised FUNi picked this up. I thought they were done with Lupin regardless... Hopefully the stream does well. I'd love to see FUNi dub this into English. I know they'd get back their Lupin, Jigen, and Goemon, but Zenigata will be an issue, and Fujiko is a hit or miss (her VA returned for FMA Brotherhood, but not DBZ Kai, although I believe there were some issues with the latter's production that prevented several DBZ VAs from returning). Nonetheless, Lupin's future in the US is looking brighter!
Rigamortis-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Funimation won this season with this and Zombie desu ka.
O-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm mainly a Crunchyroll, Hulu, and OnePieceOfficial type guy I need to ask:

Where is this supposed "Funico" site?

Does anyone have the web address?

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it's been picked up to stream, but does this mean we have to deal with Sonny Strait's nerdy-sounding Lupin at sometime in the future? He just does not have what it takes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chronoclast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
Since I'm mainly a Crunchyroll, Hulu, and OnePieceOfficial type guy I need to ask:

Where is this supposed "Funico" site?

Does anyone have the web address?

O-chan

It's NicoNico.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I really hope funimation doesn't screw this up. This show is incredibly awesome and I'd really like to be able to support it legally. Sounds like it will be on Funimation's site too so I won't have to use Niconico. That's good. If they censor it though...I'm sorry. That's just gonna be a deal breaker.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm only interested if I don't have to pay for a separate subscription for it like Panty and Stocking. Not in the mood to pay twice for this show, when I know FUNi will release it on home video eventually. Personally, I'm pissed at the idea, given that everyone hates their dub of the series, and they never gave a f**k about the show the first time around.

Gyt:
Quote:
FUNi let the license run out on the old Lupin stuff they had due to it not selling well,

It didn't sell well, because they didn't do anything with it, even though they implied they would. And the other specials also had fan service.

agila:
Quote:
Perhaps they made a profit on the original license on the eight Lupin III specials.

If it was profitable, they would have brought in more earlier. In fact, they kept teasing us with the possibility of licensing Lupin vs. Conan and GvR. So the only reason they got this, besides the tits, is that it's a total reboot of the series.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I really hope funimation doesn't screw this up. This show is incredibly awesome and I'd really like to be able to support it legally. Sounds like it will be on Funimation's site too so I won't have to use Niconico. That's good. If they censor it though...I'm sorry. That's just gonna be a deal breaker.

Well, if they license the show for home DVD/BD release it will be uncensored. they never release anything censored on DVD?BD
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Funico censored High School DxDs airing, even though it aired uncensored on TV... so I'd assume the same will be done here.

Really? That's some BS.

In other words, 90% of the first episode is censored.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Brian Hanson, Hey Answerman! April 6, 2012:
Quote:
Speaking for myself, I can't exactly fathom something like a new and super-cool Lupin III avoiding the auspices of Funimation and Crunchyroll and the like through sheer ignorance. We don't really know the whole story with this one. Was it too expensive? Are there ongoing negotiations? Oooh, maybe even a bidding war! Well, we don't really know yet. But, somehow I've got this hunch that something like Lupin III - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine has a lot of potential licensing suitors going after it.

Well, I guess that was quick. I look forward to being able to legally watch this new installment of Lupin.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Funi always did say with some titles we aren't planning anything now but maybe some time down the line
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, it will be less than ideal if the series is censored, but I'll live. I wonder how they'd handle it since both the opening and ending would have to be massively altered or omitted, but I somehow doubt that the merits of the series would be meaningfully damaged by alterations that are ultimately pretty superficial. It wouldn't be much of a show otherwise.

If it's as good as I've heard, I certainly will hope for it to be released on home video in the United States. I'd love to have the cast from the Geneon English dub of the second television series, but that would probably never happen to, truth be told, this Lupin seems slightly edgier than Tony Oliver's performance, much as I liked it, could handle. Richard Epcar's Jigen should still be appropriate, at least.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4