• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Kids on the Slope, Mysterious Girlfriend X

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Jetman2020 wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Jetman2020 wrote:
STEVE BLUM BETTER BE IN THIS DUB OR I'LL BE MAD! Evil or Very Mad

Why? The chance of Steve Blum being in the dub, if Sentai even dubs it, is near zero. Sentai almost always dubs series in house at Seraphim Digital. They have outsourced to Bang Zoom on a few series only to keep continuity with previous series, and even those are probably non-union productions which Steve Blum hasn't done for many years.

I know that's why I'm mad that Sentai picked up this show because a Shinchiro Watanabe show without Steve Blum is like Macaroni and Cheese without the Cheese. Sure there are other things you can do with Macaroni but for this occasion you got to have that cheese in there.

BUT THERE'S HOPE! If they are getting the same voice actors for Persona 4, who all stem from L.A., then getting Steve Blum and perhaps Wendee Lee for the Kids on the Slope dub is a possibility. Very Happy

You do realize that with Bandai not licensing new properties, Media Blasters on the rope, Viz picking up very few series (and dubbing and releasing even fewer), NISA not dubbing at all, Aniplex dubbing very little, and Funimation producing it's own dubs, the chances of this ever getting an LA dub were next to none anyway, regardless of who picked it up. There was even less of a chance of a union actor being in them.

Right now, for better or worse, the market for dubbed releases belongs almost entirely to Sentai and Funimation, who produce most of their adaptations themselves (although there are still three or four series that Viz actually releases). The fact that Sentai has basically become Bang Zooms biggest customer for anime should tell you a lot about how unrealistic your hopes were.

I understand the desire to have a certain voice actor in a certain role, but expecting something so unlikely and then getting mad when it doesn't happen is a bit much. That's like me getting upset for Funi not using Hilary Haag in a certain role. Theoretically it could happen, but it's not very likely. (She only ever did one minor role there and that was several years ago.)
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like Sentai forgot to tell the cast of Persona 4 they were coming back for the anime. Oops.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/09/persona-4-games-english-cast-surprised-by-sentai-filmworks-announcement
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying Mysterious Girlfriend X for quite a number of reasons. Looking forward to buying it if/when it arrives at these cloudy shores.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4