• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vracer111

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ kaydub - your interpretation of the ending is the same as mine. It doesn't really make sense the other way around because that would hardly be a dramatic way to end things. Generally, the idea of story-telling is to show your hero in peril, not coasting to victory.

I think Bento-Box was talking about Episode 4 when saying the "last episode"....and that would be correct. But yeah on the "current episode" it's the opposite...

I actually enjoyed this episode a little more than the previous one - though my hometown bias may have something to do with it.... Wink
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:
And Apo is so damn cute, I hope they get him a little doggy space suit and take him with them.

You mean like this? (Warning: mild spoiler in that picture)
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Apo is definitely not a pitbull, as his face is much flatter than a pitbull's.

You're right, Apo is a Pug... hugely different from the Pitbull. I honestly don't know how anyone could confuse the two.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how could you mistake a pitbull for the derp dog.

This episode was pretty nothing other than the introduction of the dog. Had I known I'd have skipped it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
A big derp on my part; I'm terrible at naming dog species.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be ashamed. Until recently I never even realized that cats came in different brands.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Why is it these threads seem to dry up completely whenever they fall off the first page?

That aside, Apo was adorable this episode. Also interesting to find out that spoiler[headbutting's a pattern of behavior for Mutta] and that spoiler[one of the interviewers recognized him]. Definitely going to be an interesting episode 7.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Mm, episode 6 was back to being as awesome as I expect from this show. Flashbacks aren't my favourite narrative device (mostly because they're so direct, you can't draw anything from them subtly, they show you exactly what you need to see) but I loved seeing Hibito and Mutta out-JAXAing the tour guide, and Mutta's own recollections when they referred to Hibito as a samurai.

But man, his powers of observation are amazing. Last episode he was spotting things like posters with corners turned up or labels left on household goods, this episode it's mentally timing Hibito and being as accurate as a stopwatch. It's obvious the brothers work best together but if (when) they actually get up into space together, that's a formidable team right there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Definitely going to be an interesting episode 7.

I hope you're right because I've found these last two episodes to be a drag. Might this be related to the fact that there has been exactly zero percent Pretty Astronaut Lady in them? No doubt. But it also is due to the fact that these episodes are relentlessly drumming home the brother dynamic. And not by developing it, but by reiterating it over and over, just using different details. Of course, this is the core of the show, but my eyes just glaze over when they spend too much time on it. And even though the second half of the last episode was taken up with the spoiler[potential problem presented by Mutta's ex-boss] (a welcome reprieve from the, "I'm the older brother, but I've been surpassed by the younger" thing, believe me), they seemed to drag that part out longer than was needed.

Anyway, definitely hope next week gets on track for me.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The saccharine brotherly love & rivalry montages in every episode needs to be toned down. They're repetitive to a fault. It doesn't help that Mutta is actually living with his brother now, so he can revel in his nostalgia and insecurity even more!

I much preferred learning about Mutta as an individual through his challenges and budding friendships at JAXA. Plus, I'm sick of suspending my disbelief as American characters speak in perfect Japanese or poor Engrish. I know that's a slight complaint, but all the more reason for the story to move back to Japan!

I actually like flashbacks, though. This show tends to over use them, but watching Mutta and his brother recite the JAXA tour script by heart was a highlight of the episode for me.

Does anyone know if Mutta's going back to Japan next ep?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I started a bit late, I am only on episode 3, and I am really loving it so far. I like the humour, Mutta is such a cool main character, sort of reminds me of Hachimaki from Planetes with all the determination (well, for now he is not as extreme) and trying to act cool while being silly.
Hope to have more time soon to catch up with the rest of the episodes...
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am starting to find the repetitive themes quite mundane. This show used to make me feel inspired and, with the current lull, it's feeling a little dull. Still going to hang in there. But I'm getting the feeling that the main plot is just going to get further drug out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kaydub

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
It is starting to drag out a little bit, although I'm still enjoying it immensely. I agree with Blood-, we need more Pretty Astronaut Lady!
Yupa

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm also looking forward to the moment that Mutta is going back to Japan. I guess his brother needed some screentime, but the last two episodes weren't as fun as the ones before.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching the latest episode. I was surprised when Mutta said to tune the station to 2.4 MHz; they've been getting little details so right that major cockup was pretty jarring. But otherwise quite the enjoyable episode, especially how Mutta was still trying in little ways despite claiming to have given up. On another note, did anybody else realize right away that spoiler[the guy with the busted old shoes and the steak was the robber]? Pretty hard to telegraph that little twist any clearer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 43