• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Nasuda's speech reminded me of a song that's an old favorite in parts of sf fandom. It took me all day to remember the proper title for it: "A Toast For Unknown Heroes".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Another idea kept bugging me, I don't know how long the Gibson was out or how often it returns to moonbase, but I keep wondering why they didn't find its tracks and track it that way... and yes, whether or not they would have some sort of "Lunar Positioning System" or not, use a freaking map to determine where you're going!

In short, yes, the show is much better with the human drama than the future science speculation.

Heck, when you consider how badly NASA is being defunded and what a strong influence private enterprise is likely to have on space/ lunar travel in the next decade. A ton of the concept of is unrealistic.
We have to up the level of disbelief suspension.

Okay- positive story speculation.
Did you notice how the discussion between the two guys and the women astronauts spoiler[was cut off]? Anyone want to bet after they claimed the spoiler["We're big strong men" card the doctor told them to go stuff themselves, it's the moon and (as they established in this episode) the low gravity completely negates the argument, and takes one of the seats in the rescue mission? This will probably kept "unknown" until they reach the two astronauts who will be in dire and immediate medical attention?]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Okay- positive story speculation.
Did you notice how the discussion between the two guys and the women astronauts spoiler[was cut off]? Anyone want to bet after they claimed the spoiler["We're big strong men" card the doctor told them to go stuff themselves, it's the moon and (as they established in this episode) the low gravity completely negates the argument, and takes one of the seats in the rescue mission? This will probably kept "unknown" until they reach the two astronauts who will be in dire and immediate medical attention?]

I was thinking almost the exact same thing as well. Your muscle mass mostly remains the same, assuming you keep up with strenuous exercise (not as bad as microgravity), so something weighing one sixth of its original Earth-weight should make it easy for any adult to carry heavier loads, like a human in a heavy spacesuit.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
What bugged me was this: I understand that their radios wouldn't be able to communicate out of the ravine, but they should have been able to communicate to each other locally, because there's no barrier to it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow and walw6pK4Alo:

Remember, as PlanetES reminded us, even though your weight on the Moon is one-sixth as much as on Earth, your mass does not change. Which means inertia is still a problem. Yeah, you can lift a lot more on the Moon, but your muscles are really going to feel it. That's because you're still trying to move (if you're jumping or lifting something) or stop (if you're landing or lowering something) the same amount of mass. Worst case scenario is that you'll break your legs or dislocate your shoulders or snap your spine. Something major like that. More likely is that you'll injure your muscles and find it painful to move around for a while.

If spoiler[Damien and his suit together mass 150kg, then anyone trying to carry him will still have to be lugging around 150kg.] That's a lot to ask of your muscles, even if you are in good condition and have low gravity to help you. Low gravity does allow you to do things you can't do on Earth, and you do get a sort of super strength. But there is still a price to pay; just because you can lift more doesn't mean your muscles are stronger or that your bones are tougher.

Galap wrote:
What bugged me was this: I understand that their radios wouldn't be able to communicate out of the ravine, but they should have been able to communicate to each other locally, because there's no barrier to it.

I know exactly what you mean. The astronauts' suits should be able to communicate directly with one another rather than having to bounce signals off an orbiter. Massive safety issue.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

You may have missed something because spoiler[I believe Damian busted his radio on the way down.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
You may have missed something because spoiler[I believe Damian busted his radio on the way down.]

I don't remember that. Do you have the rough timestamp?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
trilaan wrote:

I don't remember that. Do you have the rough timestamp?

about 13:47
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 41

spoiler[OMG! This was the most nerve racking episode ever!
Hibito and Damian just can't catch a break.
Those two were going through really tough times.
Hibito was very impressive and was giving it his all.]
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
ep 42:

I really like this show, but man this episode was dumb.

Not sure really what else to say. Not even many specific things that happened that even stick out, just as a general statement this episode was stupid.

Eh, at the end of the day, if this is only a temporary stumble it won't really hurt the series as a whole.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:16 am Reply with quote
Hibito wasn't really acting sensibly these past two weeks. spoiler[He could have caught a lift on Gibson which would have saved him oxygen (because you use more oxygen running than you do sitting), and once out of the ravine he could have laid perfectly still to further conserve oxygen. Or better yet, used Gibson again to drive towards the crash site, and meet Buddy and Freddy half-way. Yes, he didn't know that Houston had picked up his signal (which is weird - why couldn't Houston respond to him?), but he could have at least taken some actions to possibly enhance his survival on the off-chance that Houston had picked up his signal.]

The flare thing spoiler[was really dumb. Would it really make so much heat?]

A couple of errors involving the tire tracks being on the ground before Gibson had rolled over that spot.

Why wasn't Freddy already suited up when they reached the crash site? He should have been ready to go straight away.

Why did it take an hour to boot up the crawler? Weren't they in an emergency? You remember the scene from Apollo 13 when Lovell asks how long it takes to boot up the LEM? He's told three hours, and he responds that they need to do it in fifteen minutes. And then they do it in fifteen minutes. Same principle applies here in Space Brothers. Just because in a non-emergency it takes x amount of time to ready something by the book does not mean that x is the minimum time. You can shave plenty of time off if you move hurriedly and only boot up the systems you need. Everyone thought that the crawler would take an hour to boot up normally, yet they would be able to do it faster than that.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
Tough times for Hibito and Damian.
Mutta's hunch was right on. Good for him.
Flashback to childhood was nice.
Hibito's quick thinking and cool head may have saved the day!
Guess we'll see next time.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering why they don't give them more than one flare. ^^;
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I'm just wondering why they don't give them more than one flare. ^^;

With flares, either you're alive and the first flare summons a rescue team, or you're dead, in which case you don't need ten flares on your corpse.

Remember, everything they have on them has to be flown from Earth, at vast expense (thousands of dollars per kilogram). You can only take what is absolutely necessary. Lots of flares are not obviously necessary.

Plus the astronauts have to carry around all their equipment on their backs. As I said before in a previous post, inertia is still a problem, even in low-gravity environments. You can't weight an astronaut down with too much equipment, his or her suit will be even bulkier and heavier than it already is.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
With flares, either you're alive and the first flare summons a rescue team, or you're dead, in which case you don't need ten flares on your corpse.

Funny how you're going on about even smaller details that could maybe slide yet you're defending the series on this point. ^^;;

Anyway, I don't see how giving them a second flare would be a problem. What if the first one is a dud for some reason? And you can't really tell me that an extra flare for each person is going to weigh them down that much.

In any case, I'm not going to hold this against the series and criticize them or anything. I just thought it was funny and it isn't something I'm going to go out of my way to defend (should you decide to rebut).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 43