• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Brothers (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it actually is ending, MAL says 99 episodes for completion. Well, it was a fun ride, but ultimately could have been compressed in many fewer episodes to keep it more evenly interesting. Also, no Mr. Hibbit would have been an improvement.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Has it caught up to the manga or something? Is that why it's ending?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
apparently it's currently about 50 chapters behind the manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
#99 Final

spoiler[It was difficult watching Mutta's frustration.
Hibito's situation was hitting him hard.
Nitta helped a bit, but Hibito's message was bitter-sweet.
Skipping ahead was definitely a good idea.
At least we got to see someone go to the moon ^^
Not the ending we were hoping for, but there is still much room to continue it.]
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
That seemed like a pretty odd point to finish the series, i hope that's an idication that it won't be ending for good. I have consistently enjoyed this show and i'm gonna miss my weekly visits from Mutta, Hibito and the gang. Time to catch up with the manga, i suppose...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it's a significant enough point to put a hiatus (which I assume is all we're getting).

The only really awkward bit is that they had just begun to introduce Mutta's fellow back-up crew, so if/when they do return they'll largely have to restart that story.

But ending it now as Hibito moves onto a new phase in life is a thing to do.

If it had been structured so Mutta was just learning that he was assigned to the back-up crew at the exact same time that Hibito was leaving, that would have made a perfect "ending"... but I guess you have to be happy that it isn't structured as an ending, rather a break.

I guess the only thing that could put a continuation into question would be the complete failure of this summer's animated movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the film is gonna be a continuation. If it is, I hope CR can stream it or someone releases it here, I'd hate to have to resort to fansubs after using CR for so long
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
My understanding is that the film focuses on Mutta and Hibito as kids with the story taking place before the events in the television series.

I'd be surprised if the series doesn't pick up again some months from now. It routinely breaks into the top-ten in terms of viewing with ratings in the 3-4% range. Compared to the other highly-viewed shows, Space Brothers is pretty unique in its focus on adult issues.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
In case there is no anime continuation in the future, at which chapter does the manga leave off?
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up and caught the last episode. I think it's highly likely that they'll pick it back up later, and if so, good point to take a break.

Either way, Space Brothers, I've been involved with you for 2 years. That's a pretty long time.

All in all, I really like this show. I really like the very slow pace chronicling this series of space missions several years in the future, and I like the characters and themes.

There were some things I wasn't down with, like the whole PD thing that we were never really rid of, and certain things about the tone: I would have preferred it to be more serious and scientifically focused and could have done without some of the more... whimsical (for a lack of a better term) aspects of the presentation. However, it probably wouldn't be as popular with other people that way; I recognize my tastes are pretty weird.

All in all, very very good and unique show. I hope we see more things like it and I hope that it picks up again eventually. I'm looking forward to the movie.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
I'm on episode 93 and see the light in the tunnel, after all those months.

Looking at the group Mutta trains with now, can't believe it would not be so much easier to drop every single one of those dudes and replace them with astronauts with easier characters to deal with. Knowing that people like Kenji and Nitta did not get a chance to go despite being very good, and how much they got observed both concerning their professional judgement AND interactions with other people, it's hard to believe they would risk assigning an important mission to a group of misfits who would be every astronaut's last pick to go to the moon with.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 43 of 43