• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Anime Spotlight

Plot Summary: A young woman, by some strange occurrence, was left to die alone in the former building of the Academy for Sincere Teachings. Mysteriously, there is one person who can see her in ghost form: Niiya Teiichi, a freshman. Now they both seek to find out the reasoning behind her death, and what could have caused it.

12 Episodes
Drama, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural

Ep. 1
I've been trying really hard not to read the manga of this, i heard it was really good and was just about to read it when the anime was announced so put off reading it to not spoil the anime and thankfully i feel like my patience was rewarded. i really enjoyed this opening episode, especially spoiler[the way they did half without Yuuko, then the same thing again with her], i found that quite an enjoyable way to introduce the whole idea that spoiler[each character has a different awareness of her presence: Teiichi can see her and is fully aware about who/what she is, Okonogi seems to have absolutely no clue at all and Kirie seems to know she is there, although it's like she doesn't have the full picture somehow]

i'm not sure how the rest of the series will go but based solely off the first ep, i think i'll enjoy this one quite alot

Also, the OP was great, my fav of the season so far, and i think it was her first release cause i think this is the series that the winner of the Anison Grand Prix was set to sing the OP for, although i may be wrong on that and it's another series entirely
(i know it was at the end of the ep, but Choir Jail is the OP)

Last edited by Volibear on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 am; edited 4 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
I am not usually a fan of watching the same scene twice, but from a different point of view, but it was done spectactically here, it really showed the difference in tones. And that there was too much to take in for seeing it the first time that I had pause the second to take to focus on the bits. The first bit feeling like Ghost Hunt with a creepy feeling of being alone and unseen, the second I could probably closest compare to a bit of Rental Magica. Though I am not sure if I am very familiar of an anime with a spoiler[ghost as an actual love interest, except for possibly Natsu no Arashi], I think I did read a doujin though.

This season of anime is officially the season of Necrophilia with Sankarea and Kore wa Zombie. Anyway I rather enjoyed the first episode, the biggest problem this series will face will probably be making sure we can appreciate the different views, but not have too much thrown at us at once. Also the name Dusk in the name caught my attention, and I am oh such a fan of some dark drama we might have. I will put this down to having "seen some" instead of waiting a few episodes.
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episode. It has been mentioned, but I think it's worth mentioning again: the double take on the first few scenes (from the perspective of Yuuko, the second time) was superbly done. But I hope they don't repeat it, or if they do, very sparingly. What struck me when I watched this episode is how it was more funny than scary. I psyched myself to watching a horror anime, but I was pleasantly surprised. But as I gather from the ending of the episode, things are about to get nasty, so maybe I shouldn't lose that be-on-guard-for-scary-shit outlook yet. That last bit reminded me of Sankarea's ending: quite the same, don't you think?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Good episode imo although not on the horror level as Another. Also, great OP song and Yuuko is beautiful...can't wait to see what's next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't like the structure of this episode. I picked up what was happening right away and found the gag went on too long. Then when we had to spoiler[go back and sit through it again, albeit with the missing dialog, I just groaned.] Anyway, all that is out of the way, so hopefully we are up and onwards from here out.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I liked the format of showing the 2 different perspective. I doubt they keep continue using this, especially since it is only 12 episodes. I am loving this supernatural theme from the top animes for this season.

Also that song is great.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda curious if the anime follows the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
i don't think this is a horror anime, I read like 12 chs of the manga. this is more like Comedy/Mystery/Romance/Supernatural
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
i don't think this is a horror anime, I read like 12 chs of the manga. this is more like Comedy/Mystery/Romance/Supernatural

Same, it doesn't have the same horror taste as Another.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

I never watch Another. I don't compare with other anime.
I just based everything on the manga that i read few months back.
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

I don't get why you're trying to compare to Another. I don't even think it's listed under horror but I may be wrong on that.

Anyways, wasn't a big fan of the first episode but hopefully it'll get better. Seems like this whole seeing the same thing twice is hit or miss and unfortunately for me it missed. I liked the character design and overall it seems promising. Will continue.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Otishio wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

I don't get why you're trying to compare to Another. I don't even think it's listed under horror but I may be wrong on that.

It's listed as horror on MAL:

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

for both anime and manga.

I haven't read the manga either although there was a serious scene toward the end of the episode.
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Otishio wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

It's listed as horror on MAL:

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia

for both anime and manga.

I haven't read the manga either although there was a serious scene toward the end of the episode.

Ah, I see. I go by the Wikipedia page which here doesn't state it as horror. I haven't really felt a horror vibe from it yet but that might change as it progresses. I haven't read the manga but I might if this gets good when the season ends.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
If there are ghosts and stuff then it couts as horror, doesn't mean that its goal is to scare or quite freak you out, like for the same reason with Rental Magica. Like I picked up that it was more horror for the characteer. What was that other show, maybe Occult Accademy, though strangely it is not counted as a horror in the encyclopedia, maybe I am wrong.

Anyway wante to mention that I was in no way scared in the eppisode, I was actually already laughing at the fact that what ever it was, was likely making fun of her, it just let me appreciate the difference seeing did. Such as the difference of context of the flirting, the first one it did pretty much look like it could be flirting, but totaly different the second time. I mean there are a number of fiction where we know some characters can't be seen or heard by some others, and I think done here it helped, instead of thinking that they might just be ignoring said character.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Ye same, I wasn't scared @ all during the first episode, even laughed a bit for Yuuko's epic trolling methods
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 20