• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2ch Forum Head Transfers Ownership to Singaporean Firm

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
singapore? i thought 2chan was quite lucrative.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Packet Monster huh. Sounds pretty ominous. Considering, how should I say, most unauthorized downloading occurs using a semi-anonymous packet distribution method.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
singapore? i thought 2chan was quite lucrative.

That's also what I've heard. I'm guessing the acquisition had a sizable price tag attached to it.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
I wonder what will happen to saimoe now....I'm even surprised that someone manage to buy this...
MH Knights

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
Maybe he is trying to avoid some legal trouble? I wonder if there are any plans to move the servers to Singapore as well.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Packet Monster huh. Sounds pretty ominous. Considering, how should I say, most unauthorized downloading occurs using a semi-anonymous packet distribution method.

You know what's another semi anonymous packet distribution method? TCP/IP i.e. THE INTERNET.

Asian countries use the english word "packet" as an abbreviation for "data packet"... For example, in my cell phone plan in tokyo I have an option called "all you can eat packets" which gives me unlimited data transfer for a flat fee per month.

Packet monster is nothing but a normal name for an internet service provider or related company.
kushiel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It may have just been a total act, but there was an article about 2chan in Wired a while ago, and Nishimura was displayed as being totally lazy, being late to interviews and work stuff. Maybe he just wanted to cash out to be even more lazy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Packet monster is nothing but a normal name for an internet service provider or related company.

Or a Pokemon. Laughing
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

You know what's another semi anonymous packet distribution method? TCP/IP i.e. THE INTERNET.
Yeah I know, but I was figuring given the clientele, and that most people don't understand what goes on when you download something beyond what is happening in front of you on the bit torrent stream screen, much less when you are just browsing the internet. But...
Quote:
For example, in my cell phone plan in tokyo I have an option called "all you can eat packets" which gives me unlimited data transfer for a flat fee per month.
I had no idea they used the word like this over there. So that makes a lot more sense.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Or a Pokemon. Laughing

Yeah, seriously. I thought the company's name was Pocket Monster when I read it through the first time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1