• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven AO BD to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:

Sigh ! if only the Zeta Gundam Movies and Saint Seiya Omega would have sub as well Crying or Very sad

Didn't BV confirm that the Z Gundam box coming on May 25th is to have English subtitles??
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Do realize only the first disc is cheaper at 5250 yen for the limited edition BD. The rest of the series cost 7350 yen MSRP for the limited edition BDs.

Thanks for that. So would that be Yen42,000 all up?

That would be ~$500 gross, or around $275 net revenue for the full set if its around 55%. If the DVD is the same basic terms, it'd be around $195 net revenue for 6 volumes of DVDs.

On a 3:2 breakdown, that's about $245 a set sold, so you'd have to sell something like 8,000 to 12,000 altogether to cover the anime production cost.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Why wasn't Gundam Age simulcast?

Gundam Age is simulcasted. Just not in America.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
superdry wrote:
Do realize only the first disc is cheaper at 5250 yen for the limited edition BD. The rest of the series cost 7350 yen MSRP for the limited edition BDs.

Thanks for that. So would that be Yen42,000 all up?

It's nine volumes - so if one buys all the LE at MSRP, the total cost will be 64050 yen (~$790 at current exchange rate).

The regular edition costs 6825 yen for all volumes, but the first is 4725 yen. But, really, who buys the regular edition. I have no clue what the ratio would be of limited to regular edition buyers. 3:1?

DVD cost is 5250 yen for all volumes, except volume 1 which is 3675. Total cost would be 45675 yen or ~$564 at current exchange rate.

So, from your numbers of 8-12K needs to be sold will be less since you were working with smaller numbers.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

Sigh ! if only the Zeta Gundam Movies and Saint Seiya Omega would have sub as well Crying or Very sad

Didn't BV confirm that the Z Gundam box coming on May 25th is to have English subtitles??

It only lists Japanese sub on their website. I hope that they will include English sub else why would Age and Seed have and Zeta doesn't Crying or Very sad
The Tentacle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Hmm... well I guess its good to know I can import if nobody stateside picks this title up.

Same here.

But what I'd like to know is how much we'd have to pay if we're forced to buy an imported copy. If it goes the way of Fate/Zero and they slap a $500 price tag on it I'd have to do some hard thinking before I would shell out that kind of cash.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

It only lists Japanese sub on their website. I hope that they will include English sub else why would Age and Seed have and Zeta doesn't Crying or Very sad

I'm going to try to find that article.

The Tentacle wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Hmm... well I guess its good to know I can import if nobody stateside picks this title up.

Same here.

But what I'd like to know is how much we'd have to pay if we're forced to buy an imported copy. If it goes the way of Fate/Zero and they slap a $500 price tag on it I'd have to do some hard thinking before I would shell out that kind of cash.

Usually costs me around $450 with shipping to get a six volume series, so maybe around $675 for nine? Get them monthly and its really not that much of a burden. Just make sure you really REALLY like the show...:p
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
The Tentacle wrote:

It'll probably cost you at least $500 over the course of buying all nine volumes.

If you bought all 9 limited edition volumes at Amazon at 27% discount for each volume it will cost you 44530 yen before shipping which comes out to $549 at current exchange rate (more if you have a credit card that charges a foreign transaction fee).

If you bought all regular edition volumes, at Amazon, it will be a total of 41245 yen which comes out to $509 before shipping.

Amazon will be the cheapest without factoring in shipping cost. CDJapan will be among the most expensive. HMV is in the middle.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
The Tentacle wrote:

It'll probably cost you at least $500 over the course of buying all nine volumes.

Hanasaku Iroha had an MSRP (including tax, which international buyers usually won't pay) of 72,135, and it cost me just under $700 to import (that's including an average of 450 yen shipping per volume). Eureka Seven AO is 64,050, or about 10% less, sooooo.... if you can order in such a way that you get similar shipping prices and the exchange rate is about the same, you're looking at around $630 for the whole series.
The Tentacle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Is that a complete set or one volume at the time? How many episodes is this series supposed to have anyway?

EDIT: And are the chances of a domestic release really this dismal? Does Bandai's North American branch have any chance of licensing this series out to someone else or is an import going to be the only way to go?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
The Tentacle wrote:
Is that a complete set or one volume at the time? How many episodes is this series supposed to have anyway?

It's 26 episodes being released over 9 volumes.

Quote:
EDIT: And are the chances of a domestic release really this dismal? Does Bandai's North American branch have any chance of licensing this series out to someone else or is an import going to be the only way to go?

Bandai Entertaiment's role in anything is unclear. Whoever is in charge of the international rights in Japan may just engage any interested licensors directly. I don't know who that would be, but unless its Bandai's parent company, that seems pretty likely, as I don't see the benefit to using and intermediary company like Bandai.

I don't see any reason to despair about its odds of being licensed in R1 at this point.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I don't see any reason to despair about its odds of being licensed in R1 at this point.

Really? Shutting down their US branch and putting subs on the Japanese Blu-rays so people have to import if they want it doesn't tell you anything? The answer couldn't be clearer people, Bandai Visual wants to cut out the middle man and make whatever money they can from the hardcore collectors. I'd say that in their opinion, releasing it in North America would only be a burden considering all the costs that are associated with it. It's much simpler for them to just slap some subs on the Japanese Blu-ray and make whatever money they can from that. Sadly, that kinda screws over those of us who don't have the seemingly unlimited funds necessary to by a bunch of imports. And don't get me started on English dub fans like myself!! It's sad, I really wanted to see this show too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they can do that. They'll just not see a penny from me.

I'll still see the series by hook and/or crook, but they'll not get any money from me for the exercise.

If they want to wall Eurka Seven AO away from me that badly (I'm not paying £2600 for a series, end of) then that's their choice. What I choose (or don't choose) to do next in response is mine.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Really? Shutting down their US branch and putting subs on the Japanese Blu-rays so people have to import if they want it doesn't tell you anything?

There are R1 companies other than Bandai Entertainment. Now maybe some other companies will pick up titles that otherwise would have gone to Bandai more or less by default. It's a little premature to be assuming that no one else can get things that Bandai Visual produces and owns the international rights for.

If they intended this (or Gundam Age) to be a replacement for the R1 release they would at least take the Gundam Unicorn/KnK/FateZero approach of releasing it at some R1 retailers.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Really? Shutting down their US branch and putting subs on the Japanese Blu-rays so people have to import if they want it doesn't tell you anything?

There are R1 companies other than Bandai Entertainment. Now maybe some other companies will pick up titles that otherwise would have gone to Bandai more or less by default. It's a little premature to be assuming that no one else can get things that Bandai Visual produces and owns the international rights for.

If they intended this (or Gundam Age) to be a replacement for the R1 release they would at least take the Gundam Unicorn/KnK/FateZero approach of releasing it at some R1 retailers.
Yes, but that would mean change and that's downright blasphemy to the Japanese.

Because if you change something as minute as distribution to allow the those things to be easily accessed (though still too expensive), there's no telling what crazy nonsense could go down once the evils of change begin to seep in.

Could you live in a world where, 7-13 episodes of Eureka Seven AO are released for a price that wouldn't be laughed out of the TV section of Amazon? They certainly can't.

Last edited by ConanSan on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6