• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven: AO (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote

spoiler[It's certainly been a while since the previous episodes.
Ao, Fleur and Elena fighting the Truth.
It sure was an intense fight.
Naru is still delusional about the new wold.
Only two options available Scub or Secrets.
Ao didn't like fighting Naru one bit.
Eureka, Ao & Renton reunion was nice ^^]

#24 Final

spoiler[Ao's dad finally made an appearance.
So Scub are the invaders and Secrets are the protectors of the planet.
Finally some answers are given.
Truth the archetype, that was an interesting turn of events.
Guess every world has something different in it.
The past, present and future really are all messed up when it comes to Quartz.
All is well that ends well and this time Ao made it well.]
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
That series was the worst second season I've probably ever watched. It was so disjointed and convoluted and ridiculous I can't believe they actually allowed it to be made.

The ending was the thoroughly least satisfying ending I've ever experienced. I'm giving this a very low rating.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Just finished it! I actually quite liked the ending. A lot of people complained about how there wasn't any love really in the show as opposed to the original, I'm glad these last two episodes helped dispel that notion. It's still about love, its just an entirely different type of love. Its not romantic love, its parental love. They wanted their child to be happy so badly that they went back in time to a safer time period. It ended up messing up the timelines, but it worked out because their son was able to grow up.

They may separated but at least they were able to be together, for a short while. It's certainly a bittersweet ending, which I'm a sucker for anyway, but I thought it was pretty good for only having a few episodes to wrap it up in.

Renton and Eureka are still together, they can still have children in the future since the time line has been repaired. They should still be in the original series universe unless I misinterpreted it. Ao's back in his world and everything progressed quite nicely. I choose to believe that they remembered him, but if not it allows him to make amends for all of the mistakes in made in his relationship with Naru.

It was certainly an enjoyable series, not perfect. It should have been longer, they would have had more time to develop the characters a bit more, and correct the pacing. But, I think everything worked out well. Eureka and Renton's sacrifice wasn't in vain. Ao can now live a happy, relatively normal life. And that's exactly what they wanted for him.]

All in All I liked it!
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoyed the ending myself.....hell I almost cried lol

The end felt rewarding spoiler[but sad at the same time because their own son sacrifices himself so they can return back to their original timeline while AO goes back to earth in a timeline where the Scub corals and secrets do not exist.]

Sure the series needed more episodes to develop the story in a more understandable direction and have these characters mean something to us but sadly that was not the case. Do you think the manga will be the same as the TV series or will it take a different and hopefully better direction?
kaydub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo, I can finally check this off of my "Currently Watching" list...

Now that the sequel is over, I kinda want to just marathon the first season and pretend like this one never happened. Quite disappointed with AO; even though Eureka Seven set the bar pretty high, I never expected AO to flop this hard. Heck, it barely tried to jump. I'll give it credit for carrying on the vibrant and colorful art style that I loved from the original, but that's about as much credit as I can give. The plot was so convoluted it made my head spin, the pacing was horrendous, the characters were lackluster and often annoying, and everything was just wholly unsatisfying. Even the music - a huge aspect of the original IMO that made it even more enjoyable - was almost completely forgettable this time around.

I just really did not enjoy this show at all. For shame.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
My biggest problem with this show is that it tied itself into a knot early on and then progressively got more and more tangled as it went on. Some plot threads were presented in such a convoluted way that I really had a hard time just figuring out what the hell was going on.

Elena's story is a good example of this.

Another problem I had was with the show's natural pedigree. It deems itself as a Eureka Seven sequel, but keeps an arm's length away from themes, characters and settings of the original, using only basic plot points to create a new story that only -really- ties with E7 in a few episodes here and there. The rest involved itself with treaties, scientific discovery and battle. There's no real definable theme to the story like it's predecessor.

I feel like I should say something positive about the show...I liked the music, it had a lot of great animation (I always love missile-evasion antics) and good character design. Fundamentally, the show delivers: good animation, solid voice work, good music and so on.

I just wish the show was as defined and cohesive as it's forerunner. I distinctly remember shaking my head in confusing more times in this show then any in the past six years. Of course, this could all be just me and I'm just a dummy and it's all crystal-clear to everybody else...

I don't think I'd ever watch the show again and probably just watch Eureka Seven when I get the itch.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
My biggest problem with this show is that it tied itself into a knot early on and then progressively got more and more tangled as it went on. Some plot threads were presented in such a convoluted way that I really had a hard time just figuring out what the hell was going on.

Elena's story is a good example of this.

Another problem I had was with the show's natural pedigree. It deems itself as a Eureka Seven sequel, but keeps an arm's length away from themes, characters and settings of the original, using only basic plot points to create a new story that only -really- ties with E7 in a few episodes here and there. The rest involved itself with treaties, scientific discovery and battle. There's no real definable theme to the story like it's predecessor.

I feel like I should say something positive about the show...I liked the music, it had a lot of great animation (I always love missile-evasion antics) and good character design. Fundamentally, the show delivers: good animation, solid voice work, good music and so on.

I just wish the show was as defined and cohesive as it's forerunner. I distinctly remember shaking my head in confusing more times in this show then any in the past six years. Of course, this could all be just me and I'm just a dummy and it's all crystal-clear to everybody else...

I don't think I'd ever watch the show again and probably just watch Eureka Seven when I get the itch.

I think this sums up what I feel about the show. It delivers, but it doesn't measure up to what I expected from an E7 sequel, mostly because it's too different from the original. The bittersweet ending was nice and I at least loved seeing Eureka and Renton at the end -even if I hated Renton's guts in the original, he was pretty handsome and less idiotic here, so I liked it-.

My biggest disappointment was the complete disconnect with all the other characters from the original. The main reason I wanted to watch this was because I expected to see more of Holland and Talho or Anemone and Dominique -seriously, by the last 5 eps of E7, I was fed up with Eureka and Renton-, but none of them were so much as mentioned in this. And most of the new characters were pretty shallow and boring. I never understood what was the deal with Gazelle and his gang, or Elena's story, or what was the point of whatever Naru did, or what was Truth trying to accomplish, and Fleur was downright annoying. The only one I liked was Ivica.

All in all it just couldn't live up to its predecessor, and I was more confused and annoyed than what I actually enjoyed of it
Jetto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I wish I could get the time I spent watching this trash back.

This anime has stunning visuals, and little else. Considering the general shallow and manipulative pace (i.e.: no real substance until the episode is about to end), I was hoping for an "All-hell-breaks-loose" or at least a somewhat satisfying ending.

In AO's defense though, the original E7 would have probably sucked just as much if they tried to wrap it into 24 eps. Then again, I enjoyed the movie much more than the original series anyways so meh...

Eureka Seven was about the CHARACTERS. The pretty visuals/mechs and cool fight scenes were the backdrop, not the draw. I think this is where AO falls the hardest...
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The ending spoiler[ didn't make any freaking sense. Also, the fact that half-coralian kids can't survive a high-trapar environment kind of ruins a lot... like the kids on the cover of the last DVD volume of E7. And probably about a million fan fics. Hah. Also, I was totally right about how it was going to end, by making it so how it all never happened. Although, whether or not Eureka was affected by the timeline change makes a big difference in how much sense it makes... was the Eureka who went back to the Year 120XX timeline the one who gave birth to Ao (original timeline) or did she never come to Okinawa in the first place (corrected timeline)? If she never came to Okinawa, where would she have gone when she was pregnant with Ao? Does that mean she'd go somewhere else, or she would have given birth to him and he wold have died? Or will he never exist in the first place?

Also, BIG plot hole, ref boards can't work without trapar, and he just jumped into a timeline with no trapar, yet he a few thousand feet in the air... splat? Also, living in a world that you never existed in is pretty sad.

To sum this series up in one sentence; the only thing that make the series watching were things from the original series. How sad. ]
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder: if this show had a bigger budget about about 27 more episodes, could they have made something as good as Eureka Seven?
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
NO. It didn't have the talent, and it wildly mishandled the use of the original franchise. It would have been better if it had been 13 episodes of just the good content. Better, but still shit.

To make it as good as the original, you would have needed a complete rework of the plot, better directing, and much better writing. Some of the characters were good (Gazelle, Ivica, Blanc), some OK (Ao, Fleur) some were pointless (Elena)... but some were so bad (Truth and Naru) that they literally made the show worse.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Banken. The story would have to be re-written in order for it to be worth a damn in my opinion.

I think the premise was interesting, but it needed more fleshing out. More of the anime should have focused on what was going on and Ao working to try and find a solution rather than what appeared to be a focus on character development? I don't even know what they were doing. It seems to me like they were writing the story every episode and didn't know where it was going. The last minute addition of Renton is what clinched that feeling for me. It was like they saw everyone on the interwebs screaming about why Renton wasn't in the show yet and thought, oh yeah, we've two more episodes...we best add him.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
It would have made more sense if the show had taken place in 12025 and had been a simpler story about "secrets" coming out of nowhere and attacking the scub coral on the "new" Earth. Or literally any other story that could have possibly taken place involving Renton and Eureka's kids.

Also, the fact that spoiler[ the scub turned out to be the bad guys? Huh? That didn't make any sense at all. Also, it was never explained why Renton still has Nirvash...who disappeared the end of the first show, going off into a different universe with a decent chunk of the human population. ]

To be honest, the original did have pacing issues and a lot of the plot didn't make sense, but the core story, characters, and overall production was still totally epic.
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
It seemed like an experiment in conflict. Eureka Seven Ao: Astral Ocean was like a study in displacing and upending the elements of storytelling [to break ground, maybe?]. It's as if all those otaku kids who complain about an anime series being too predictable somehow provoked Bones to create a series in which prediction is if not impossible then certainly irrelevant. I tried to enjoy this series and to give Bones the benefit of the doubt as the episodes progressed, but I am ultimately left disappointed.

I LOVE Psalms of Planets Eureka Seven. It is dear to me in a full-on fanboy kind of way. I can't easily catalog all the aspects and characteristics contained in that anime series that I hold dear. I could go on about how perfectly the bigger story emerged from Renton's simple and distracting coming of age tale. I could also cite a multitude of qualities and instances I found in the original series to be exemplary and often innovative. It would only serve to illuminate the fact that ESA:AO doesn't measure up. I didn't like coming to that conclusion, but it's one I can't deny now that it's all done.

I wasn't invested in Ao like I was invested in Renton. The three young men from Okinawa weren't fascinating. Secrets were something we'd all seen before. Truth was all wrong. The Nirvash wasn't a link between the main character and all the mysteries and questions raised. The world was too much like our own in the wrong ways and not unlike ours in the right ways. The truth discovered at the end, the answers to all those ridiculous unanswered questions along the way, was less than thrilling.

I DO, though, hope that there's more Eureka Seven to be produced. I would really love it if Bones produced a third story that would perhaps utilize the mess made by Astral Ocean to further the story about Renton, Eureka, and the characters we love from Psalms of Planets. Who knows if that'll happen; I can't imagine that Astral Ocean went over well in Japan. Maybe I'm wrong; there seem to be a few people in the forum who enjoyed it, and that's a relief. I'd love to read some interviews with the Bones staff to see what exactly was the goal of this elusive story.

I DID enjoy the sloth. He was awesome.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
...so, is Funimation going to be making the last two episodes available anytime this year? Anyone know?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21