• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eureka Seven: AO (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggqt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Maybe I need to explain my point a little more clearly and leave less to be implied. The reason I am saying it is forced is because they are always verbally yelling out what they are going to do next. It's almost like they are braking the fourth wall to explain the plot to us.

The difference between Pokémon (children shows in general) have very linear plot. It's A then B then C; Not A + B = C; like most TV shows aimed at older viewers. The key part about Deus ex machina you are missing even after reading it is "contrived and unexpected". You never have anything "unexpected" in pokémon because it's so linear. An example of Deus ex machina is A + B = L.

But at this point we are not even arguing about the show in question anymore. So I'll end this here

P.S. I personally like the AniDB definition of deus ex machina better.

When the story has been spun so wildly and the plot has been driven so deeply, when all resources are exhausted and the linear truth stands so proudly at the end of the road, ready to bring the never-ending adventure to its epic conclusion...
The writers kick you in the behind and say "Screw that!! Suddenly... UFOs!!! No, wait, Werewolf UFOs!!! Bet you didn't see that coming!"

It's the old-Greek form of solving your broken story because it was too much work to do it all over again, or you've already shown stuff that compromises what you wanted to do. It's finding out about a better dragon on a whole different planet because you've already been revived 3 times and that's the cap. It's breaking a spaceship and "oh wait, there's an exact copy built in secret by an unknown guy on the other side of the planet, and you can use it free of charge". It's Doraemon's pouch, on every single episode.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote
ggqt wrote:
Okay. Maybe I need to explain my point a little more clearly and leave less to be implied. The reason I am saying it is forced is because they are always verbally yelling out what they are going to do next.
I don't see them verbalizing all their actions. But let's assume you're right and again take your example of Pokemon: do the "trainers" not call the name of their Pokemon before throwing them? Do these things metastasize from one ball to the next? Even this aside, I can think of any number of series this same criticism could be leveled against; it's a common way to integrate the narrative element into a narrator-less piece of fiction.

ggqt wrote:
The difference between Pokémon (children shows in general) have very linear plot. It's A then B then C; Not A + B = C; like most TV shows aimed at older viewers. The key part about Deus ex machina you are missing even after reading it is "contrived and unexpected". You never have anything "unexpected" in pokémon because it's so linear. An example of Deus ex machina is A + B = L.
Expected, yes -- the-hero-overcomes has been recycled ad naseum, and at this point it's damned-near instinctual. So does this bar everything save "Werewolf UFOs" -- the absurd -- from deus ex machina? If so, I respectfully withdraw my opinion.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
bumping since eureka herself showed up in the latest epiosde with dyed hair and contacts. Renteon is now where to be seen spoiler[however it's most likely that he is not the father of our new mc] This is just a theory on my end after all it's studio bones so who knows.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
It also seemed to me thatspoiler[ Renton is not the dad (in that case, who was?], which would mean it is an alternative world rather than continuation of the first series.

I am really enjoying it. Ao is doing things, and his relationship with Gazelle and the other guys does not involve bullying, which was the case of Holland. One thing I am not that fond of is the amount of characters, that for now clutter in the background but do not really do all that much.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
So far they've only implied that his mother's name is Eureka, or that she's the Eureka from the first series.

And so far the series has been so mediocre that I almost hope she isn't.

Especially when it implies she's been captured somewhere for the last ten years, and away from her family for the last 13 years.

Assuming she's the real deal, spoiler[she, while pregnant with Ao 13 years ago, apparently fell through a hole in time to the past 10,000 years ago, around to the time when the Scab Coral first came to earth but before it took over, which IIRC was in the 2040's.]

Otherwise it's just gotta be an alternate universe or different characters entirely.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
So far they've only implied that his mother's name is Eureka, or that she's the Eureka from the first series.

And so far the series has been so mediocre that I almost hope she isn't.

Especially when it implies she's been captured somewhere for the last ten years, and away from her family for the last 13 years.

Assuming she's the real deal, spoiler[she, while pregnant with Ao 13 years ago, apparently fell through a hole in time to the past 10,000 years ago, around to the time when the Scab Coral first came to earth but before it took over, which IIRC was in the 2040's.]

Otherwise it's just gotta be an alternate universe or different characters entirely.

it's a high possibility that spoiler[eureka was pregnant at 14 and fell through a loop from the movie] but I don't know it's only three epiosdes in so far if they drag this out for 25-40 epiosdes who knows.

Just a personal question how his meh?? AO has already proven to be more a capable pilot then renteon ever was, hell getting you mecha's arm torn off then pick it up and using it as a weapon is bad-ass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, because Eureka's totally the easy type and there was nothing resembling eternal bonds of love between the two. Re-examine that screenshot and compare with any picture of Renton. You're absolutely right, no resemblance whatsoever.

Also, while you guys are debating what dimension/time she jumped into I'm going to wonder why she isn't spoiler[shiny green and pink with wings.]
UsuiTakumi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the biggest Eureka 7 fan there is(seen the original 11times) and my opinion of the plot is as follows. I'll put it in spoiler tags i guess so i don't spoil the end of the original.spoiler[ During the final episode of the orginal after Renton saved Eureka and talking to the Nirvash. You notice the earth begins to crack. This would be because it is covered in scub coral and they are "leaving" the planet. This was proven by Renton and Eureka breaking through the "great wall" and Dominic falling through the earth during the Anemone kiss scene. So there was space between the Scub coral and the land beneath it.I doubt everyone in the entire world could of left it in a shuttle and returned so some people must of stayed behind. The people on this island/around the world stayed behind underneath the scub and lived on. However the majority of the scub coral left with Nirvash when Renton saved Eureka, but there is no way for it to all left. If that were the case Eureka would have to leave like Gonzi and Sakuya did.
To stop my rambling i'll make this short(er). When Eureka went back down to earth she was already pregnant and is now back on original earth. The scub coral appeared again because she well is a coralian they created and couldn't fully leave with out her. I'll add that i believe the majority of other earth have died, which was going on during the final 2 episodes anyways(all the falling objects and earth giving out from under them). ]
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Dude, the series takes place in 2025. As in 13 years from now.

It's not the spoiler[ earth that was under the scab coral, it's the regular earth.]
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
AO has also noted that scrub coral was appearing on Earth as early as 1940 and I've seen some other fans referencing that in the original series scrub coral came to earth around 2040, I really think we're dealing with an alternate universe here.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
If the Eureka in AO is the same as the Eureka in the original series, then here is what I think happened: spoiler[I think there is an issue with the Limit of Questions/Life which is discussed a bit in the original series. For whatever reason, I think Renton and Eureka used the Nirvash to go to an alternate Universe, which naturally means a similar but alternate Earth.]

spoiler[I *do not* believe that the Earth in AO is an earlier version of the Earth in the original series. The fact that "Astral Ocean" is in the title might mean that there may be many alternate Universes, and that moving between them may somehow provide a key with dealing with the Limit of Questions problem that the Scrub Coral is worried about. It's been a while since I saw E7, but I do remember that the Limit of Questions issue was pretty important to the Scrub Coral (the Coralians).

Perhaps the Coralians believed that the Limit could be dealt with by spreading to alternate Universes?]
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
Yes, yes, but spoiler[why isn't she green and where'd her wings go?]
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
AO has also noted that scrub coral was appearing on Earth as early as 1940 and I've seen some other fans referencing that in the original series scrub coral came to earth around 2040, I really think we're dealing with an alternate universe here.

Not necessarily... history spoiler[10,000 years back] isn't exactly going to be totally accurate.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:

*Perhaps* she learned to revert to her earlier form. Otherwise, well... I'd have to conclude that this is a totally seperate story that happens to contain elements from the original story.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Svidrigailov wrote:

*Perhaps* she learned to revert to her earlier form. Otherwise, well... I'd have to conclude that this is a totally seperate story that happens to contain elements from the original story.

Totally agree.

On a separate not. Does anyone feel like this series would have a potential reputation similar to spoiler[Xam'd: Lost Memories] where the story just gets congested to the point where the series tries to cram as much as it can in x-amount of episodes?

I just hope that this anime would end nicely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21