• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Politically-charged Manga Suspended in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:

Why do Korean hate Japan? Frankly, I think there is inferiority complex among them (it was impressive that when I pointed out it to a Korean, he tried to deny my view without disguising his feelings) . They know Korean could not be modernized if Japan had not 'colonized' Korea. I am not telling a lie. Some American and *Korean* scholars also wrote so.

It has to do with how the Japanese Govenment treated the Korean Population. They killed countless civilans in a March 1919 peaceful protest against the government. They assinated the Empress because she was siding with the Russians and not the Japanese. The soliders raped countless women and called them "Comfort Women." Even korean marathon runners put their head down in shame after they won Gold for Japan.

I have nothing against my generation of Japanese. I do have a beef with the older Japanese who were there and still did not appologize.

Quote:
I'm not sure whether you really understand what 'apology' means in the international world of power politics. It implies reparation. You seem not to know how much we have paid for Asian countries.

Money is not the issue. It is that Japan admitted what it did in Korean, Nanking, the Phillipeans, and other Asian countries was wrong.

I'm sorry if this is way off topic. I just had to get it off of my system. Koreans living abroad and in Korea have the same view as me.

I don't think this will ever go away until the Japanese Government says what it did was wrong.

Ranmah

Last edited by Ranmah on Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fractured78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
Quote:
I agree the photo is nothing more than an excuse to get rid of something the revisionists don't want.

I don't agree with you partly because I belong to people who admit Nanking Incident, and largely because I think it is OK to suspect some *proof* may be fablication or questionable so long as that comes from the viewpoint of academic research.

It's simply a difference of opinion here. Had this been an academic work or a report in a periodical I would absolutely understand the outcry. Being a work of fiction, however, in a genre/medium that often uses pictures out of context as baselines for drawings for a manga, I absolutely disagree with you. Such outcry was both uncalled for it and should have been ignored. There are no facts to debate here, only a difference of opinion. We disagree and that's about all there is to it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
abunai:
Quote:
True enough, as far as it goes. But there is still a serious moral difference between fighting against an oppressor and bombing a civilian population.

Perhaps, but if you acknowledge and recognize the wrongness of such an action, then it still makes you better than the oppressor who does the same thing, but doesn't acknowledge or recognize their actions.

Quote:
Could you please explain the difference between "personal" and "impersonal" in this context, and elaborate on why you think it makes any moral difference in the case of mass murder?

Because by personalizing their crimes, the Nazis and Japanese were able to diminish the lives ruined and/or lost to their actions, while the Allies recognized the lives lost for the greater good, and thus learned from the experience by attempting to confine bombing to non-civilian targets. It still hasn't worked, but at least they're trying.

Quote:
I see, we're back to your argument that the civilian population of Dresden "deserved" to be bombed?

They didn't "deserve" to be bombed, but they put themselves in a position where they were going to be hurt eventually.

Quote:
Hmm. I wonder how many atrocities have been "justified" with those precise words?

All of this "sometimes atrocities are justified" talk of yours is a thoroughly despicable position to adopt, and it echoes one of the great tragedies of American history. Let me just toss off a quotation, here:

Quote:
On November 29, 1864, a group of Colorado volunteers, under the command of Colonel John M. Chivington, fell on Chief Black Kettle's unsuspecting band of Cheyennes at Sand Creek in eastern Colorado, where they had gathered under the protection of the governor. "We must kill them big and little," he told his men. "Nits make lice" (nits are the eggs of lice). The militia slaughtered about 150 Cheyenne, mostly women and children.

- from Digital History: Tragedy of the Plains Indians

Again, it's not really the same situation, since the Cheyenne didn't support a totalitarian imperialistic regime which had no respect for human rights. By your logic, Hitler deserved to be labelled a refugee, because he hid in a bunker.

Quote:
BUZZ! "Sorry, that's wrong. The answer we were looking for was: Austria-Hungary."

Austria-Hungary wasn't that much different from Britain or France at the time.

enjin:
Quote:
I don't agree with you partly because I belong to people who admit Nanking Incident, and largely because I think it is OK to suspect some *proof* may be fablication or questionable so long as that comes from the viewpoint of academic research.

The thing is that there are "scholars"-including Mel Gibson's a-hole of a dad-who question the Holocaust too. They say that it's "scientifically impossible" to gas that many Jews. And while their arguments might sound more professional and legitimate than what you hear on the street or in the media, they don't have any factual basis for discrediting the Holocaust. And I'm sure the sources you use for Nanking are the same.

mohawk + abunai:
Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can tell you, if you have a copy of that "Young Jump" with that drawing in it, hold on to it because it will be worth a bit of Yen in a few years time as a collector's item.

I'll second that opinion - anything that generates controversy like that manga has, tends to become collectible.

These are people's lives, not snuff!
fractured78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
Quote:
Though I disagree with enjin about his comments

His...

And, I think it is more adequate here to mention that you failed to refute me, don't you? At least, so long as using the term of Rape of Nanking as if the officially historical name, you cannot be avoid being accused as being biased.

In addition, I'd like to know what you mean by 'take responsibility.' If it means that we abandon studying the history academically, you are not different from some Japanese ultra-rightwings even if you deny that. Even in the West fewer scholars do not believe the figure of 300,000 or 400,000 victims.

Sorry about the his. I'm not faimiliar with the name enjin.

I think you've distorted my perspective on "taking responsibility" totally out of whack. My perspective is this:
1. Full acknowledgement by the Japanese about what they did during WWII. If there is disagreement open academic and diplomatic channels to solve such disagreements. (IE-send researchers, academics, bring evidence to the light of critical review.)
2. Formally apologize to the parties offended.
3. Teach younger generations about what happened.

So far both 1 and 2 have not occurred, and I'm not sure how complete Japan has been on #3. That's up for debate, but, considering how many academics both in Japan and abroad have raised objections...I'd guess #3 has not been done very well.

As far as my use of the "Rape of Nanking" and your objection as to to it not being the "official historical name." Let me say this: history does not have "official names" only those that are commonly used. "Rape of Nanking" is commonly used in America. I'm actually somewhat surprised by how much this bothers you.
If someone chose to refer to the United States's expansion west as "the murder of a hundred nations" I wouldn't really care. It's a pretty accurate description. As is the Rape of Nanking.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:56 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
abunai:
Quote:
True enough, as far as it goes. But there is still a serious moral difference between fighting against an oppressor and bombing a civilian population.

Perhaps, but if you acknowledge and recognize the wrongness of such an action, then it still makes you better than the oppressor who does the same thing, but doesn't acknowledge or recognize their actions.

Hmm. Your argument, then, is that a murderer who knows that what he is doing is wrong, is morally "better" than a murderer who can't tell right from wrong?

I should say it would be the other way around.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Could you please explain the difference between "personal" and "impersonal" in this context, and elaborate on why you think it makes any moral difference in the case of mass murder?

Because by personalizing their crimes, the Nazis and Japanese were able to diminish the lives ruined and/or lost to their actions, while the Allies recognized the lives lost for the greater good, and thus learned from the experience by attempting to confine bombing to non-civilian targets. It still hasn't worked, but at least they're trying.

Same argument as before - and same response. And might I point out that when we're talking about the firebombing of Dresden, "attempting to confine bombing to non-civilian targets" was the exact opposite of the mission objective. And I don't see that the Allies learned from it, at all.

Like the Japanese massacre and violation of the civilians of Nanking, the Allied firebombings (in Germany and Japan) were deliberate actions, decided at the highest levels of government, targeting civilians.

Whether one thinks of the civilians as "innocent" or not (and, after all, who's innocent in a war?), the fact remains that they were civilians, and should not have been subject to terror tactics. Civilians are not legitimate targets.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
I see, we're back to your argument that the civilian population of Dresden "deserved" to be bombed?

They didn't "deserve" to be bombed, but they put themselves in a position where they were going to be hurt eventually.

That's sophistry - saying that doesn't change the fact that the Allies made the civilians targets, not incidental casualties.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Hmm. I wonder how many atrocities have been "justified" with those precise words?

All of this "sometimes atrocities are justified" talk of yours is a thoroughly despicable position to adopt, and it echoes one of the great tragedies of American history. Let me just toss off a quotation, here:

Quote:
On November 29, 1864, a group of Colorado volunteers, under the command of Colonel John M. Chivington, fell on Chief Black Kettle's unsuspecting band of Cheyennes at Sand Creek in eastern Colorado, where they had gathered under the protection of the governor. "We must kill them big and little," he told his men. "Nits make lice" (nits are the eggs of lice). The militia slaughtered about 150 Cheyenne, mostly women and children.

- from Digital History: Tragedy of the Plains Indians

Again, it's not really the same situation, since the Cheyenne didn't support a totalitarian imperialistic regime which had no respect for human rights. By your logic, Hitler deserved to be labelled a refugee, because he hid in a bunker.

A civilian is a civilian. Once you start saying that "some civilians are bad civilians, and deserve what they get", then you've chucked all civilised considerations out the window.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
BUZZ! "Sorry, that's wrong. The answer we were looking for was: Austria-Hungary."

Austria-Hungary wasn't that much different from Britain or France at the time.

That response displays a fair bit of ignorance about WW1 and the political situation in Europe just prior to that war.

So far, your record on this isn't very good. You've shown that your general knowledge of history (both political and military) is sketchy, at best.

Get your act together. If you're going to debate me, check your facts and get informed, before posting. It's the least you can do.

GATSU wrote:
mohawk + abunai:
Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can tell you, if you have a copy of that "Young Jump" with that drawing in it, hold on to it because it will be worth a bit of Yen in a few years time as a collector's item.

I'll second that opinion - anything that generates controversy like that manga has, tends to become collectible.

These are people's lives, not snuff!

My, my, my - quite a high horse you're on, considering that you're advocating the "justified" bombing of civilian populations in wartime. Rolling Eyes

Oh, and there's quite a difference between art depicting wartime atrocities and "snuff". Or would you say that Picasso's Guernica is "snuff"?

Tell me, do you even read your posts and think about them, before posting them? Or is this just some sort of funky stream-of-consciousness thing...?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:19 am Reply with quote
abunai:
Quote:
Hmm. Your argument, then, is that a murderer who knows that what he is doing is wrong, is morally "better" than a murderer who can't tell right from wrong?

Call me naive, but a murderer who "finds religion" or whatever concept makes him/her understand the severity of their act is a little more respectable than a murderer who was "just following orders".

Quote:
Same argument as before

Not really. One argument was about acknowledging actions, the other was about justifying them.

Quote:
And might I point out that when we're talking about the firebombing of Dresden, "attempting to confine bombing to non-civilian targets" was the exact opposite of the mission objective.

I'm sure that if they had known the impact of the bombings, they would've reconsidered.

Quote:
And I don't see that the Allies learned from it, at all.

Well outside of Vietnam and Cambodia, they have tried to reduce bombing to a minimum.

Quote:
Like the Japanese massacre and violation of the civilians of Nanking, the Allied firebombings (in Germany and Japan) were deliberate actions, decided at the highest levels of government, targeting civilians.

Again, the Japanese massacre was worse, because they did all sorts of things to the Chinese besides killing them off.

Quote:
Whether one thinks of the civilians as "innocent" or not (and, after all, who's innocent in a war?), the fact remains that they were civilians, and should not have been subject to terror tactics. Civilians are not legitimate targets.

Unfortunately, war is really a clash between the amount of life you attempt to protect versus the amount of life you intentionally or unintentionally lose. Civilian deaths are inevitable. So the "winners" are usually the ones who achieve the former more than the latter.

Quote:
That's sophistry - saying that doesn't change the fact that the Allies made the civilians targets, not incidental casualties.

Look. When you have two countries who will do anything to wipe out people who fit their definition of an "inferior race", and drag the rest of the world down with them, it's tough to trust them not to pull a fast one on you. If you had been stuck fighting tooth-and-nail in a vicious war for as many years as the U.S.-and even longer in the U.K.-you'd be paranoid too. It doesn't make the situation right, but at least the Allies helped the survivors rebuild their countries, which is more than can be said about the Japanese.

Quote:
A civilian is a civilian. Once you start saying that "some civilians are bad civilians, and deserve what they get", then you've chucked all civilised considerations out the window.

And once you attempt to avoid any distinction between any
two wrongs, then you've chucked the concept of moral and legal justice.

Quote:
That response displays a fair bit of ignorance about WW1 and the political situation in Europe just prior to that war.

Not really. The victims of the Boer Wars wouldn't consider Austria-Hungary to be the greater of the two evils.

Quote:
My, my, my - quite a high horse you're on, considering that you're advocating the "justified" bombing of civilian populations in wartime.

Not really, since I'm not exploiting people's deaths for E-Bay, but recognizing that their sacrifices will not be unappreciated.

Quote:
Oh, and there's quite a difference between art depicting wartime atrocities and "snuff". Or would you say that Picasso's Guernica is "snuff"?

It would be if he decided to make a quick buck on it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
abunai:
Quote:

Call me naive, but a murderer who "finds religion" or whatever concept makes him/her understand the severity of their act is a little more respectable than a murderer who was "just following orders".

You are failing to differentiate between prior moral qualms, and after-the-fact moral qualms. There is a great difference between knowingly committing an enormity, versus later realising one's crime and repenting.

Now, this gives us a typology of murder:

- Murderer A, who commits a crime without realising its severity and later repents
- Murderer B, who commits a crime without realising its severity, and never repents
- Murderer C, who commits a crime knowing full well its severity, and later repents
- Murderer D, who commits a crime knowing full well its severity, and never repents

Now, before you attack this typology, please note that I am well aware of its stiff and unwieldy nature - it's a sketch, not a complete description. The types of atrocities we see will seldom fall easily into one of these categories.

Sociopaths, btw, belong squarely in category B.

So, let's look at it. Those responsible for the Nanjing Massacre fall mostly within category B, I would say - since there seems to be a lack of basic understanding that this was just beyond the pale.

But what of the Allied commanders (notably Arthur Harris, who demostrably knew the full consequences of his actions)? They fall, I would argue, into category D. They knew what they were doing was morally wrong, and even after the war, they never repented it.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
And might I point out that when we're talking about the firebombing of Dresden, "attempting to confine bombing to non-civilian targets" was the exact opposite of the mission objective.

I'm sure that if they had known the impact of the bombings, they would've reconsidered.

They did know the impact of the bombings, both before and after - that impact was the mission objective, not an unintended byproduct. There is ample documentary evidence to support this, so you might as well forget about that line of argument.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
And I don't see that the Allies learned from it, at all.

Well outside of Vietnam and Cambodia, they have tried to reduce bombing to a minimum.

That's a pretty big exception. It's like saying "outside of a few bombs here and there, the terrorists are pretty peaceful guys".

GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Again, the Japanese massacre was worse, because they did all sorts of things to the Chinese besides killing them off.

No argument there. The Allies didn't rape the people of Dresden. Then again, piles of ash don't really make for good rape victims.

You are attempting to create a hierarchy of atrocities - to say that one atrocity is "worse" than another. To do so is to open the gates for the argument that the "lesser" atrocity can be justified by the "greater". Once you start arguing like that, you wind up justifying torture chambers (*cough* Abu Ghraib *cough*), imprisonment without benefit of fair trial (*cough* Guantanamo *cough*) and other trappings of a totalitarian state.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, war is really a clash between the amount of life you attempt to protect versus the amount of life you intentionally or unintentionally lose. Civilian deaths are inevitable. So the "winners" are usually the ones who achieve the former more than the latter.

Ah, the Napoleonic argument. "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs" (said by Napoleon after he ordered his gunners to fire grapeshot at a crowd).

Sure, I agree, wars are not clean-cut moral affairs. Neither side usually has the moral high ground, and mistakes are always made at all levels of command. Whether it be a few soldiers who run amok (My Lai), or atrocities commanded at the highest levels (Nanjing), no war has ever been fought without these things happening. It's a fact of war - and one of the reasons why war is such an abomination is that it produces these things.

But there is a great difference between committing atrocities in the heat of war, and justifying them later - and it seems to me that you are doing that.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Look. When you have two countries who will do anything to wipe out people who fit their definition of an "inferior race", and drag the rest of the world down with them, it's tough to trust them not to pull a fast one on you. If you had been stuck fighting tooth-and-nail in a vicious war for as many years as the U.S.-and even longer in the U.K.-you'd be paranoid too. It doesn't make the situation right, but at least the Allies helped the survivors rebuild their countries, which is more than can be said about the Japanese.

For once, a reasonable argument. Yes, I'll buy that. The Allies made several morally repugnant decision under pressure. That is understandable, if not easily forgivable. I'll also agree that the Allied aid to rebuilding Germany and Japan was an enlightened and sensible policy - one that did much to lay the old enmities to rest.

It puts the Allies in a better light, there is no doubt of that.

But it still is not an excuse, nor an after-the-fact justification, for atrocities. You can't say: "Sure, we did bad stuff, but look how nice we're being now." There has to be an "I'm sorry" in there, too. And the Allies really never made that stage of moral resolution. Although Western historians write of the atrocities of Dresden and Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, these have never been made the subject of a formal apology. So what happens to the Allied "moral high ground", then?

In fact, if you stroll around London, you can see statues of several "war heroes" who were responsible for atrocities - Harris (terror bombing of Germany), Wellington (terror bombing of Copenhagen), Nelson (use of POWs as hostages, threatening to burn them alive). I'm sure a little stroll around major cities of the U.S. can produce similar findings.

Imagine the uproar if Germany were to raise up a statue to, say, Konstantin von Neurath?

Atrocities happen in wartime - but to be proud of them, and to consider them justified, is a sick thing.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:

And once you attempt to avoid any distinction between any
two wrongs, then you've chucked the concept of moral and legal justice.

Sure, there is a difference between two wrongs - but an atrocity is an atrocity. You can't bend and twist the concept of atrocious murder.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Not really. The victims of the Boer Wars wouldn't consider Austria-Hungary to be the greater of the two evils.

I'd comment on this, but I think it really deserves to stand uncommented. It's gloriously beside the point.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
My, my, my - quite a high horse you're on, considering that you're advocating the "justified" bombing of civilian populations in wartime.

Not really, since I'm not exploiting people's deaths for E-Bay, but recognizing that their sacrifices will not be unappreciated.

Quote:

It would be if he decided to make a quick buck on it.

You don't really know a lot about Pablo Picasso, do you? If he could make a quick buck, trust me - he would've.

- abunai
enjin2000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
At present Chinese government does not make a comment. I wonder if they do not know the problem or they know it will turn the scale against itself to do so.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:15 pm Reply with quote
enjin2000 wrote:
At present Chinese government does not make a comment. I wonder if they do not know the problem or they know it will turn the scale against itself to do so.

I would assume that the Chinese government doesn't give a toss about a Japanese manga.

- abunai
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
you wind up justifying torture chambers (*cough* Abu Ghraib *cough*), imprisonment without benefit of fair trial (*cough* Guantanamo *cough*)

- Wow, Abunai, I hope you get that cough taken care of real soon. The Army is addressing Abu Ghraib. I guess because we made a some mistakes we should damn the whole effort to democratize Iraq and go home. Not all of us are there to mess around with detainees. Not by a long shot. As far as Guantanamo Bay is concerned, I just read in Time that at least 3 men released from there went right back to Al-Qaeda. We're not detaining Sunday-schoolers over there.
As far as the targeting of enemy cities for aerial bombing is concerned, it just made sense, militarily. The goal of war is to win. Unfortunately, in our modern world, cities contain factories which employ civilians to make war materials. Why wait untill those materials are arrayed against you? Nip it in the budd.
Austria-Hungary was indeed the spark that ignited WW1. But there was a tremendous amount of kindling around such as the intense rivalry between Germany and Great Britain over alliances, colonies, and who could build the most battleships. Austria-Hungary merely started a war in which it would play a junior role.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Joe Arizona wrote:
Quote:
you wind up justifying torture chambers (*cough* Abu Ghraib *cough*), imprisonment without benefit of fair trial (*cough* Guantanamo *cough*)

- Wow, Abunai, I hope you get that cough taken care of real soon.

I've got something stuck in my craw - I think it's a scruple. Wink

Joe Arizona wrote:
The Army is addressing Abu Ghraib.

"The police is investigating allegations of police brutality" Rolling Eyes

Joe Arizona wrote:
I guess because we made a some mistakes we should damn the whole effort to democratize Iraq and go home. Not all of us are there to mess around with detainees. Not by a long shot.

You'll notice I didn't say that. What I implied, in my own heavy-handed way, was that the events in those two locations are symptomatic of a way of thinking that says "our actions may be atrocious, but they are justified because our enemy is even worse". It's the logic of torture chambers.

I'm not simple-minded enough to tar every American soldier with the same brush - but when something like that happens, it is a symptom of a dread disease - not something to be dismissed as the work of a few misguided individuals.

Joe Arizona wrote:
As far as Guantanamo Bay is concerned, I just read in Time that at least 3 men released from there went right back to Al-Qaeda. We're not detaining Sunday-schoolers over there.

Time magazine, eh? Hmm. And does it occur to you to question this source of information, or did you accept it at face value?

Joe Arizona wrote:
As far as the targeting of enemy cities for aerial bombing is concerned, it just made sense, militarily. The goal of war is to win. Unfortunately, in our modern world, cities contain factories which employ civilians to make war materials. Why wait untill those materials are arrayed against you? Nip it in the budd.

Well, sure, it made military sense. It also makes military sense to use nuclear, biological and chemical weapons against the enemy, or to bomb his hospitals and places of worship to demoralise him. Fortunately, there's more to warfare than considerations of "military sense".

"Military sense" is a dangerous concept - because it's simple logic, without the benefit of scruples. Once you do away with scruples, what you've got is sociopathy.

Joe Arizona wrote:
Austria-Hungary was indeed the spark that ignited WW1. But there was a tremendous amount of kindling around such as the intense rivalry between Germany and Great Britain over alliances, colonies, and who could build the most battleships. Austria-Hungary merely started a war in which it would play a junior role.

Ah, now there's the kind of response I was looking for earlier - too bad that other fellow has half your wits, or he'd be more fun.

All right, I'll bite: yes, Austria-Hungary only functioned as a catalyst. The major players of WW1 were Britain and Germany, with a leavening of Russia and France. Had the former two states managed to reach a detente, the Great War would have been... well, not avoided, but possibly ameliorated.

What happened was a chain reaction of knee-jerk responses, as one state after another was caught in the web of its own posturing, bound by grandiose statements of intent that they had no way of retracting without massive loss of face.

- abunai
fractured78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Joe Arizona wrote:
The Army is addressing Abu Ghraib. I guess because we made a some mistakes we should damn the whole effort to democratize Iraq and go home. Not all of us are there to mess around with detainees. Not by a long shot. As far as Guantanamo Bay is concerned, I just read in Time that at least 3 men released from there went right back to Al-Qaeda. We're not detaining Sunday-schoolers over there.

Though this whole part of the thread is off topic I just wanted to say I agree with your post. Specifically to the second paragraph-there is no way to civilize war, especially when the survival of your people is at stake, which was the case during WWII. Having done martial arts I know that if my life is threatened I will do my damndest to destroy my opponent quickly and viciously. I won't be clean. I'll go straight for vital points, joint dislocations, and bone breaks. I never know how many friends my opponent have waiting for me-so my goal is to end it as quickly as possible. The fight itself is the sad thing, but once engaged I have no recourse but to do what is required to win. The same goes for war. The war itself is a sad thing, but, once enjoined, doing what is required to win is of utmost importance. This is not a justification, but simple pragmatism.

As for the British statues. They won a war that Britain was on the very brink of losing. It's easy for us to judge them in the now when we haven't seen thousands of our comrades die, seen our hometown destroyed, or seen our allies annihilated. Did they go too far sometimes? I'm sure they did. People are not automatons, they make mistakes. The difference, I think, is that they were mistakes-not their very purpose. We should not whitewash their records, but should acknowledge what they did in totality.

WWII Britain did what was required to win as did the allies. The Rape of Nanking had nothing to do with winning. That fight was already won.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote
fractured78 wrote:
The Rape of Nanking had nothing to do with winning. That fight was already won.

Ah, now this takes us back on track - and I agree with you. What makes the Nanjing Massacre so horrifying is that not only was it an atrocity - it was a redundant atrocity. Even if one is inclined to argue that some atrocities are "necessary" (as some people apparently are), there can be no after-the-fact doublethink "justification" for Nanjing.

- abunai
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:51 pm Reply with quote
abunai:
Quote:
So, let's look at it. Those responsible for the Nanjing Massacre fall mostly within category B, I would say - since there seems to be a lack of basic understanding that this was just beyond the pale.

But what of the Allied commanders (notably Arthur Harris, who demostrably knew the full consequences of his actions)? They fall, I would argue, into category D. They knew what they were doing was morally wrong, and even after the war, they never repented it.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling bs on your argument. The Japanese knew exactly what they were effing doing, and did it across most of Asia. The Americans bombed a few cities, and suddenly, they're "as bad" as the Japanese. And the reason the Allies didn't "repent" was because they were responding to one of many vicious attacks that had been perpetuated by the Axis for a decade. It doesn't make the situation better, but at least they actually spent the money to re-build Dresden and the rest of Germany and Japan, which still says more about them then it does to the other countries, since Germany only decided to pay reparations a few years ago, while Japan has limited reparations to a few select groups.

Quote:
They did know the impact of the bombings, both before and after - that impact was the mission objective, not an unintended byproduct. There is ample documentary evidence to support this, so you might as well forget about that line of argument.

Perhaps, but it wasn't for the sake of wiping out the entire German race that Dresden was bombed.

Quote:
That's a pretty big exception. It's like saying "outside of a few bombs here and there, the terrorists are pretty peaceful guys".

I'm sure you could say the same about Hamas. Oh wait, no, they're not "terrorists", but "liberators" in your eyes. Anyway, when you Dutch f*cks compensate the victims of apartheid, then you can have a moral ground to stand on. At least we've had the decency to re-negotiate ties with Vietnam and Cambodia after the mess we made.

Quote:
No argument there. The Allies didn't rape the people of Dresden. Then again, piles of ash don't really make for good rape victims.

But apparently human beings made good models for vivisection.

Quote:
You are attempting to create a hierarchy of atrocities - to say that one atrocity is "worse" than another. To do so is to open the gates for the argument that the "lesser" atrocity can be justified by the "greater". Once you start arguing like that, you wind up justifying torture chambers (*cough* Abu Ghraib *cough*), imprisonment without benefit of fair trial (*cough* Guantanamo *cough*) and other trappings of a totalitarian state.

Um, not really, since the methods used in the War on Terror have been illegal and immoral from the get-go. And technically, Saddam was our puppet, so whatever torture he's done was paid for by us. On the other hand, I still don't consider Dresden "as bad" as any of the things you've just described. The Germans lost far less people than they took down. The same goes with the Japanese.

Quote:
Ah, the Napoleonic argument. "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs" (said by Napoleon after he ordered his gunners to fire grapeshot at a crowd).

Look. They tried avoiding hitting civilians in World War I, by assigning special battlefields to fight; but millions of lives were lost with absolutely no progress made on either side, until the U.S. came in. The methods used just weren't practical. The only solution for winning any war is taking down an enemy's weapon supply or base. And sometimes civilians suffer as a result. It's wrong, but that's what happens in war.

Quote:
But there is a great difference between committing atrocities in the heat of war, and justifying them later - and it seems to me that you are doing that.

I'm not justifying the atrocities, but given the kind of enemy we were up against, they were unavoidable. They could've been diminished, but that's about it.

Quote:
But it still is not an excuse, nor an after-the-fact justification, for atrocities. You can't say: "Sure, we did bad stuff, but look how nice we're being now." There has to be an "I'm sorry" in there, too.

Ask Germany to do the same for Poland first. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041018/ap_on_re_eu/germany_poland_claims_1

Quote:
Although Western historians write of the atrocities of Dresden and Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, these have never been made the subject of a formal apology. So what happens to the Allied "moral high ground", then?

The "moral high ground" comes from the fact that those atrocities are acknowledged.

Quote:
In fact, if you stroll around London, you can see statues of several "war heroes" who were responsible for atrocities - Harris (terror bombing of Germany), Wellington (terror bombing of Copenhagen), Nelson (use of POWs as hostages, threatening to burn them alive). I'm sure a little stroll around major cities of the U.S. can produce similar findings.

Perhaps, but Britain still has better ties with Germany than Japan has with China and the Koreas, because the British acknowledge their actions. Plus in the end, both countries were pretty much even, since the Britain was a mess after the Blitz.

Quote:
Imagine the uproar if Germany were to raise up a statue to, say, Konstantin von Neurath?

I think the fact that Neurath counts as the instigator is why the uproar would be raised.

Quote:
Atrocities happen in wartime - but to be proud of them, and to consider them justified, is a sick thing.

Um, I never said I was proud of them. I said they were inevitable, and that the means to justify our end were a lot less destructive than the means to justify their end.

Quote:
Sure, there is a difference between two wrongs - but an atrocity is an atrocity. You can't bend and twist the concept of atrocious murder.

I agree that you can't. But you also can't multiply one atrocity to have the same weight as another.

Quote:
You don't really know a lot about Pablo Picasso, do you? If he could make a quick buck, trust me - he would've.

But he obviously didn't with Guernica.

Quote:
I would assume that the Chinese government doesn't give a toss about a Japanese manga.

I do know that the atrocities committed against Korea were the reasons anime and manga importation were banned there for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if China had a similar attitude.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm sure you could say the same about Hamas. Oh wait, no, they're not "terrorists", but "liberators" in your eyes. Anyway, when you Dutch f*cks compensate the victims of apartheid, then you can have a moral ground to stand on. At least we've had the decency to re-negotiate ties with Vietnam and Cambodia after the mess we made.

See, when you look back on this later on, you can say to yourself: "This is where I completely lost it."

About every single basic fact or assumption in that block of nonsense was completely wrong, and it's not the first time you've been down that road - you clearly have a weak grasp on facts, whether historical or otherwise. I've given you the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough. I consider that any further debate with you would be a waste of my time, since the kindest interpretation I could put on your constant foolishness - namely, that you are merely uninformed - no longer seems likely.

Frankly, I am more inclined to simply believe that you are wilfully and deliberately ignorant, and likely to remain so regardless of any attempts on my part to remedy that.

I've spent enough time trying, and I'm done with you.

Oh, by the way....

I'm Danish, not Dutch. Apartheid was in South Africa, not the Netherlands. Hamas are terrorists, not liberators, in my book. And I hope to God that the American population in general has a higher moral standard than you do, though it doesn't seem particularly likely.

You are dismissed.

- abunai
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12