• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Fourze and Effect Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Further, be advised that Fourze, despite being performed by human beings, is the best kids' anime running right now.

Someone's not watching Go-buster :3
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
While I really like the story to Fourze and all of the characters for the most part, I still consider Fourze one of THE worst kamen rider designs ever. I get the motif but he is awful looking. Meteor isn't much better either but at least better looking then Fourze by comparison. And oh god... Meteor's power-up form... it's a beyblade... I hope that Fourze has at least one more form left and I hope it's the saving grace to some awful Rider designs this year. At least the monsters have been very very cool looking.
daoutlaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
@daoutlaw:

Still, either your explanation doesn't capture some kind of emotional engagement or Jake really is that emotionally un-engaged...
He feels far too point-blank simple if he didn't really change much after that... even though it seems like he has, or they didn't do much with his original self. Hmm...

Well, I'm not novelist. So I can't really convey emotion in typing. This is something you'll have to figure out by watching the episode again. If you can't feel anything from JK arc, then...you just can't.

Joe Mello wrote:

Another good one this season, but holy hell those guys are brutal. spoiler[Takedown on mook, followed by shot in the mook's face? Damn!] Not to mention the overall atmosphere has gotten really serious. I still like it though, refreshing change of pace for super sentai.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I'm enjoying Fourze a lot more. Then again, Gobuster has to follow Gokaiger, which is some big shoes to fill.

TatsuGero23 wrote:
While I really like the story to Fourze and all of the characters for the most part, I still consider Fourze one of THE worst kamen rider designs ever. I get the motif but he is awful looking. Meteor isn't much better either but at least better looking then Fourze by comparison.

Also disagree, Meteor is probably one of my favorite Rider designs. It's so sleek and stylish, not to mention he's basically a Disco Themed Bruce Lee, which is awesome. And the awesome Engrish of his attacks "JUPITER, READY? OKAY, JUPITER!"

Though given W was 2 and utilized dual cards, OOOs was 3 and utilized three coins, and Fourze is 4 and utilizes his four limbs, I wonder if the next one will be themed after 5, and if so, how they're going to do that (you can only realistically carry so many items at once to alter your form, you know) Maybe it'll involve his hand or something like rings, or claws.

Quote:
And oh god... Meteor's power-up form... it's a beyblade...

I want to say it's a shoutout to Metal Fight Beyblade, since Metal Fight Beyblade also did the whole "monsters based on the 88 constellations/space-cosmic energy theme" as well.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
TitanXL: I definitely love the character of Meteor and while a bit out of place, the Bruce Lee aspect is very cool and funny at the same time. But I don't find it to mesh with the design. He seems bulky to be a kung fu fighter. I think it's the shoulder pads that ruin it for me. If he didn't have those then he'd be really slick and smooth.

As for Go-Busters (still not sure what the busters part is suppose to be for), for the designated "kiddy/light hearted" season to follow the "serious" season, I think its one of the better light hearted series so far. Of course it just started but for a start, it seems like it'll be better and seems like it be a bit more of a mix of both serious and light seasons types.
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for more SFX toys in the column, though I personally hope that this is the last we see of Fourze (I am not a fan of any of the designs in that show, rider, monster, equipment, or otherwise; despite the fact that I more or less like the characters). Perhaps we could get a review of the S.H. Figuarts Stronger when it comes out? It would be a fitting tribute to the deceased Araki Shigeru.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I got the first module set as well myself, but I don't think I'll be getting any more. If anything, I'll try to track down Meteor at some point. And as far as the switches... I wish I had known about the DX Zodiarts Switch before it came out, because that's the only one I'd really find worth owning at this point.

And yeah, I'd definitely be ok with more toku stuff here.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
Further, be advised that Fourze, despite being performed by human beings, is the best kids' anime running right now.

Someone's not watching Akibaranger*

*Okay, not really for kids.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:

I just don't like Yellow is all
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2