• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Modern Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of the whole "magic as a science" thing. It seems like I would have the same nitpicks with Modern Magic as you. Fullmetal Alchemist established alchemy as a science very well, but that is one of few examples.

I was thinking of looking into Sekirei, but if the second season really declines in quality I may give it a pass. It's a shame. Also I have a friend that loved Inu x Boku, but I have heard mixed things all over the place about it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
"Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic"
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I actually considered watching Inu X Boku SS because the premise was just odd enough to make me curious, but it seems like I was wise not to bother

I don't think you can go just on her review.

The show isn't a favorite of mine, but its very pleasantly amusing.

Needed more Riri/Karuta though.

InuXBoku needed to be a movie not a TV show. that way they could have focused solely on Ririchiyo 's and karuta's relationships and it would have been a far better executed story. there is actually some really really good segments particularly in episode 10 when it finally explains why he cares about her so much. another reason I say it needs to be a movie is because it moves so slowly in the middle, and a lot of characters (I personally) hated got introduced and got way to much screen time.
I would suggest you finish it actually because it actually has a very strong ending
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I too hate midichlorians, but they were a silly and stupid sounding addition to a movie series that hard already clearly established the Force as a clearly mystical energy field. I don't really have an issue with "science" magic as long as it is handled well and a part of the core premise of the series, rather than a silly retcon. But to each their own I guess, and if that type of magic bothers you, it does.

Now that you mention it, I hate the retcon more than the midichlorians themselves. That said, midichlorians are so egregious they may have soured me on all science-y magic.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
If a show had done a "magic = cooking" premise, with "recipes" instead of programs, would you have rejected it as fanservice aimed at cooks and accused it of glorifying cooks as wizards?

Hmmmm... I think I'll have to watch like 50 more episodes of Yumeiro Patissiere and get back to you Razz Although that series is aimed at little girls, and not food industry professionals.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I too hate midichlorians, but they were a silly and stupid sounding addition to a movie series that hard already clearly established the Force as a clearly mystical energy field. I don't really have an issue with "science" magic as long as it is handled well and a part of the core premise of the series, rather than a silly retcon. But to each their own I guess, and if that type of magic bothers you, it does.

Now that you mention it, I hate the retcon more than the midichlorians themselves. That said, midichlorians are so egregious they may have soured me on all science-y magic.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
If a show had done a "magic = cooking" premise, with "recipes" instead of programs, would you have rejected it as fanservice aimed at cooks and accused it of glorifying cooks as wizards?

Hmmmm... I think I'll have to watch like 50 more episodes of Yumeiro Patissiere and get back to you Razz Although that series is aimed at little girls, and not food industry professionals.

I think the problem with that comparison is that a lot of magic does cooking like things, also you still have to put in time and effort to cook versus launching a computer program.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I think the problem with that comparison is that a lot of magic does cooking like things, also you still have to put in time and effort to cook versus launching a computer program.

Are you implying that cooking something takes more time and effort than writing a computer program?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Are you implying that cooking something takes more time and effort than writing a computer program?

I am stating that you have to work every time to produce the desired result versus doing it once. I considering writing the actual program and writing the recipe to be similar though.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, don't have much to comment about with your reviews this week Erin, mainly because I have yet to watch Sekirei (on my massive backlog pile), have never seen, nor cared to see Magic Made Easy, and while Inu Boku is alright, it's not good enough to try and defend it off the flushable rating. What I did want to say was, while I didn't actually come up and say hello, I was at your Unusual Manga Genres panel at Anime Boston, and I wanted to say you run a very good panel. You're comfortable speaking to a group, or at least seem that way, and you were properly prepared with your materials and didn't just repeat word for word what you had written in your powerpoint presentation. It's a shame that time was so constraining, but all in all I just wanted to say that this was the first panel of yours that I've attended, and if you choose to run panels at Anime Boston again, I'll certainly be attending them.
Ferian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Now that you've watched 9 episodes of it, you might as well finish it. The final episodes are far better than the rest of the series, and at least the conclusion may provide some pay-off for taking your time to get to it. Really, the last two episodes lead to me raising my opinion of the show by 1.5 points.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Erin, if you made it to episode 9 of Inu x Boku, it is well worth the effort to finish it off. It actually does come together at the end -- far more than one might expect!

That being said, I don't think any of your criticisms were wrong, and I really like the above commenters remark that they should have focussed so a tighter schedule (like a movie) would have actually been advantageous. They tried to stuff too much into this. There were far too many side characters that had nothing to do with the plot.

I did like it though. It was flawed, but I liked it.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't comment on InuXBoku; although I feel that usually having a system or "science" behind magic in a story usually makes it better, like in Fullmetal Alchemist. If the characters can violate the laws of physics at the drop of a hat in episode 4, in order to make things believable there needs to be a reason they can't just handwave things away in episode 8. Still, when I hear the premise of MMMS, I wasn't exactly thrilled. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe I'm perceiving things in the reverse direction, making the science aspect more transient and arbitrary. (or not, I don't know.)

Sounds like it was a lame week, anime-wise, I'm sorry to hear that. I wasn't expecting to see those Birdy OVAs in the collection, I'm curious how they compare to the more recent :decode series.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
configspace wrote:
Quote:
I suspect the weird nipple shapes come straight from hentai doujinshi trends, but I'm not exactly an erotica expert.

ahem, perky missile nipples can be found in real life too

Man, I knew someone would say that. I don't know, they're really freaky. It's not like I haven't seen a variety of nipples in my day. I've never seen an areola raised at like, a 45 degree angle between the skin and the nipple in real life or in a photograph or video before. I considered grabbing a screencap of Sekirei to illustrate my point but decided it would be too incriminating. Likewise, if such nipple shapes do exist, and you send me a link to a photo, it's going to be NSFW.

Freaky Nipples in Anime could be an ANN feature article, perhaps an over-eighteen subscriber exclusive for if they get desperate, or even a graduate thesis at the rate this is going.

The Japanese seem to have, shall we say, creative interpretations of the shape and behavior of nipples and breasts generally. The behavior and shape seen in some anime seems to invite the creation of some new form of weirdly specialized non-euclidean geometry.

Maybe that's why I don't care much for 'boob shows', my tastes are too mundane and conventional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
Erin, if you made it to episode 9 of Inu x Boku, it is well worth the effort to finish it off. It actually does come together at the end -- far more than one might expect!

That being said, I don't think any of your criticisms were wrong, and I really like the above commenters remark that they should have focussed so a tighter schedule (like a movie) would have actually been advantageous. They tried to stuff too much into this. There were far too many side characters that had nothing to do with the plot.

I did like it though. It was flawed, but I liked it.

I hated some charcters and loved some. in the end the actual ending to the series made it fell like at the very least it wasn't a complete waste of time. I wanted to drop it quite a few times. I wished that it would have chosen one audience and gone for it because it was all over the place in that respect and it almost killed the show.
(gives erin another oreo) go ahead eat it, it will make you fell better I promise.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I wanted to say you run a very good panel. You're comfortable speaking to a group, or at least seem that way, and you were properly prepared with your materials and didn't just repeat word for word what you had written in your powerpoint presentation. It's a shame that time was so constraining...

Thanks for the kind words! I've been doing that panel for several years, many of which were at Anime Boston. I kind of purposefully load it with too many slides... I was worried that my energy was a bit low, since it was late at night, but the audience seemed receptive enough.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Freaky Nipples in Anime could be an ANN feature article, perhaps an over-eighteen subscriber exclusive for if they get desperate, or even a graduate thesis at the rate this is going.

It could be the next Gia's List! Top Eight Freakiest Anime Nipples. Wink
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
For once I completely agree with an article. Sekirei is indeed a perishible title. Never seen the others though, so can't comment.[/u]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4