• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira's Otomo Comments on State of Anime Industry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
DragonSyde wrote:
Tell that to Chagen46. He's always being a troll here, I see it everyday from him and I'm sick and tired of it.

No surprise. Even TVTropes, wretched hive of scum and villiany, banned him spoiler[for pedophilia. Shocked ]

LOL. It's always funny when people make a post that is basically like, "This guy is lame because after I spent time and energy to stalk him across a variety of websites and lurking behind his every step on the internet..."

It's not possible that I might have recognized the name because I used to visit TVTropes? Rolling Eyes
You mean other people actually do that?
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
Otomo wasn't talking about this at all, but since this came up...

Mohawk52 wrote:
I have found that my tastes have narrowed quite a bit through the years, but I'm not saddened by that as it's not I that has left anime behind, but the other way round it seems. That is what saddens me.

Well, people change and many end up outgrowing animes, since, at the end of the day, they are primarily aimed at children, teens or geeks. The genres animes provide are also so limited, that I guess it's normal for some people to not enjoy many of them, especially once you have worked off the backlist. Not to mention that so many anime series are the same content just with different hair colors, and if you've been watching for years ... at some point you don't want to see the same thing over and over again.
At the moment I manage to enjoy 1 or 2 series per season, most of the time on noitamina (no coincidence) with fortunate exceptions like Madoka or Chihaya. But that's so little that I switched to other entertainment media. (... and after watching Game of Thrones it is really difficult to feel satisfied with anime's often symplistic storylines.)

But as said, Otomo wasn't talking about this at all.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Well, people change and many end up outgrowing animes, since, at the end of the day, they are primarily aimed at children, teens or geeks. The genres animes provide are also so limited, that I guess it's normal for some people to not enjoy many of them, especially once you have worked off the backlist. Not to mention that so many anime series are the same content just with different hair colors, and if you've been watching for years ... at some point you don't want to see the same thing over and over again.
At the moment I manage to enjoy 1 or 2 series per season, most of the time on noitamina (no coincidence) with fortunate exceptions like Madoka or Chihaya. But that's so little that I switched to other entertainment media. (... and after watching Game of Thrones it is really difficult to feel satisfied with anime's often symplistic storylines.)

Situations like yours, which I imagine mirror many people's feelings on anime, make me all the more glad that I'm always open to shows and never really grow tired of rehashed ideas as long as the show is done competently, regardless of its content. It feels great when I can go from Queen Millennia to Patlabor to Sankarea to Hanasaku Iroha to Queen's Blade without batting an eye are the genre and art shifts. The best advice I give for people who feel like they're out of anime, keep digging, there's always more interesting stuff to see. They make be packaged as one-shot OVAs, but it's better than not seeing it. It's not as if I'm saying this from the perspective of some spry hatchling on their first foray into anime, I've seen hundreds of TV series, hundreds of OVAs, and a couple hundred films. I'm still shocked every time I come across more and more titles that have an interesting premise, especially the ones I've never heard of before.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh look, another old anime person who is no longer relevant saying the anime industry isn't in good shape. I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.

That's interesting, because Akira's like the only anime most non-otaku know. In fact, people are ripping it off to this day.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Sigh, everybody, this news is about Otomo making a comment about post-earthquake economic hardships in the film industry...

...it's not about you, your tastes in anime, other peoples taste in anime, and whether or not you or someone else has better tastes.

Really? Because I was starting to think this was about some guy I never heard of getting banned on some other forum (no offense, guy I never heard of), and Otomo being a evil crotchety old man.

Unless there's more quote he didn't seem to outright bury shows like K-on, or anything for being absolute schlock-fests or nothing, with terrible plots, and vapid characterization. So, I don't see what half this thread is arguing about.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

It's funny you mention Game of Thrones because while I think the HBO series is an excellent adaption of the source material, having started the books years ago I don't find them all that complex or adult when compared to anime *shrugs*

Don't get me wrong I think there is a lot of crappy & juvenile anime out there but I still think there is a lot of good stuff to be found. Of course a few good series a season are enough for to me to feel content.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Otomo wasn't talking about this at all, but since this came up...

Mohawk52 wrote:
I have found that my tastes have narrowed quite a bit through the years, but I'm not saddened by that as it's not I that has left anime behind, but the other way round it seems. That is what saddens me.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. The part is true, but the genres of anime are just as vast as any other medium to me. People outgrowing or getting left behind by anime is always an interesting concept to me.

I'm far from enjoying every show in a season or even the bulk of the shows in a season and most times I end up following maybe 4 series tops. To me that is good enough. Even if it was just 1 or 2 that is good enough. Anime isn't the only entertainment medium so I don't need or expect it to fully cover me for hours upon hours each week.

I think the expectation for huge amounts of awesome every season are odd. When some people first get into anime, the newness of everything makes it all seem fresh and even the tropiest or most generic of shows seem pretty cool because they're so different than non-anime. Combine that with that fact that there are huge legal/illegal archives of anime that are easily available and span well over a decade of content, I think that people who get into anime find themselves in a situation where they can watch hours upon hours of anime each week and it begins to dominate their entertainment time.

Once their tastes naturally mature and narrow over years and everything doesn't appeal to them anymore and that newness has worn off, I think people split into three camps:

1) Those who still love a ton of anime every season.
2) Those who watch way less anime but don't see a problem with it.
3) Those who are upset that it no longer dominates their time.

I fall into camp #1. Even with live-action shows, I've never actively followed more than 2 or 3 series each season. Sometimes it's only one. I don't think it's a bad or a good thing, because there are so many outlets for entertainment that I don't need any one medium to occupy the bulk of my time.

I guess my question for anyone burnt out or feeling that anime has left them behind, how much anime are you expecting to enjoy every season? Also, be sure to look out for stuff. There are so many times where I see people say that anime is just moeblob fanservice shows, or there's no adult shows, but then you list a bunch of shows not like that and their response is, "never heard of it."
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Sigh, everybody, this news is about Otomo making a comment about post-earthquake economic hardships in the film industry...

...it's not about you, your tastes in anime, other peoples taste in anime, and whether or not you or someone else has better tastes.

Really? Because I was starting to think this was about some guy I never heard of getting banned on some other forum (no offense, guy I never heard of), and Otomo being a evil crotchety old man.

Unless there's more quote he didn't seem to outright bury shows like K-on, or anything for being absolute schlock-fests or nothing, with terrible plots, and vapid characterization. So, I don't see what half this thread is arguing about.

All you have to do is put "State of the Anime Industry" in the subject title and you will have a lightning rod for responses. I doubt many posters responding even read his comments.

I guess if the thread title read "Otomo comments on Anime Industry after Earthquake" it would have been less exciting to posters. Which is hilarious. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

At least I actually enjoy anime, unlike some people here. I'd rather have many shows I enjoy watching each season instead of being all pessimistic about how terrible it is. It makes your experience better if you go into it to have fun instead of finding reasons why something sucks or trying to not enjoy yourself.

You enjoy some anime, like everybody else does. Nobody likes everything. Trends come and go; it's when trends change when ya ask yourself if ya still feel the same way. So we can come back to this years from now, and let us know how ya feel about the new trend.

maaya wrote:

Well, series about adult characters for adults in mind have more options in terms of writing. The motivations and options of actions open up and can be much more complicated. So it's not really the same standard when much of anime are targeted at youths and youths in mind.

bravetailor wrote:

I guess if the thread title read "Otomo comments on Anime Industry after Earthquake" it would have been less exciting to posters. Which is hilarious. Laughing

Also more like the anime movie industry since that seems to be what he's particularly talking about in context of reading his whole statement.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

At least I actually enjoy anime, unlike some people here. I'd rather have many shows I enjoy watching each season instead of being all pessimistic about how terrible it is. It makes your experience better if you go into it to have fun instead of finding reasons why something sucks or trying to not enjoy yourself.

You enjoy some anime, like everybody else does. Nobody likes everything. Trends come and go; it's when trends change when ya ask yourself if ya still feel the same way. So we can come back to this years from now, and let us know how ya feel about the new trend.

But the issue is that there isn't a single trend. And most of what people perceive as a trend in the negative sense, is simply something they dislike becoming or being perceived as popular. For every single "hated" genre, that people point out as the so-called dominant trend, we can always point to the fact that a lot within that genre are also poor sellers. And for every single genre that is perceived not to get any love or attention, we can point out the fact that there are hits within those conversely, as well as the fact that they are also always being made, sometimes more, sometimes less, but regularly nonetheless. So in the end, there's always something for everyone.

For example, I like sports. But from the lack of chatter here, and in general among the western crowd, either for or against it, particularly the polarizing type that gives people their impressions of trends, you'd think the genre is nonexistent or rarely made, when in reality that cannot be further from the truth!

As for myself, while I don't like every title, I do like literally every type of title. That is, I haven't found a genre or sub-genre I disliked yet, or disliking a show because of any particular trope or "trends".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5