• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My thoughts on Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Just need to get it off my chest. It's been causing me quite some distress. This is going to be a very long post.

First off, let me just say that I absolutely love the series, perhaps even more so than Ai Yori Aoshi. Because I knew that Ai Yori Aoshi was always meant to be a happy series, with a happy ending. Sure they threw in some twists here and there (what with Taeko and Tina and Aoi's father), but I always knew that it would be Kaoru and Aoi in the end. It reminded me of some of my past experiences (some sad, mostly happy) but never really made me question or start to doubt some of the life-affecting decisions I made in the past, unlike KGNE. I would say, I think, that KGNE is more of a thinking anime, something that made me rethink my life, and what I value in life.

I still have not finished watching it, I've only just finished up till episode 8. But already, it has become one of my favourite series.

My thoughts after episode 2: Oh My God! How sad! I didn't want to stop watching, I just needed to know what happened next. spoiler[Poor Haruka. At that time, I really felt for her. It was as if I could almost feel the anguish and pain that Narumi was experiencing. Because at this point of the series, they had seemed the perfect couple].

By episode 4 though (fast forward 3 years), I really wanted to get my hands around Narumi's neck and wring the life out of him. spoiler[I couldn't understand how he could abandon Haruka and throw himself into another woman's arms. I was feeling very angry with him, and his betraying Haruka. I wasn't as pissed off with Mitsuki, because I felt the choice was Narumi's, whether to accept Mitsuki's love or to stick by Haruka for better or worse. I could understand that Mitsuki would obviously step in, in place of Haruka, because it's already been hinted by episode 2 that she loved Narumi too].

I watched up till episode 8 last night, and the fl*shba*k episodes finally explained things to me, and made sense of why Narumi chose to do what he did. And it really shifted my focus to Mitsuki. While I used to think of Haruka as the star of the show, now I think Mitsuki really is the most important character in the series. I really admire her strength and courage. I think the director's decision to use the fl*shba*k to explain things really is an act of genius. If the story had progressed chronologically, it would never have made such an impact. Instead, now, the story really engages me and makes me feel all sorts of emotion, spoiler[from being angry and pissed off with Narumi to emphatizing with him and understanding why he let go of Haruka, to understanding why Mitsuki is now in his life, and why she did what she did, etc].

But watching the rollercoaster relationship between Narumi and Mitsuki spoiler[(after Haruka regained consciousness)] brought back some pretty bitter/sad memories for me. And it started me thinking: if I had been in Narumi's shoes, what would I have done. I would love to say that spoiler[I will find the courage to tell Haruka "I'm sorry", and that now, the single most important person in my life is Mitsuki, because she has always been there for me and has been supporting me when I was really down. Her strength and courage have made a differene in my life and I don't think I can ever do without her]. However, in real life, I don't think I have/had that courage (not back then), and now I am where I am. No regrets, but it's just a thought that my life could have turned out differently.

Last night, I found myself shed a tear or two as I was trying to get to sleep, thinking about Mitsuki, and my past. I've never cried after watching an anime before (at the most, I've felt a lump in my throat, maybe even a big LUMP, but no tears). Don't laugh, never seen a grown man cry before? The going-ons in the series is affecting me (badly?), in a way I guess. But I feel it's good for me to feel this way again, sometimes, to remember the past and to re-live those emotions. I feel I can't move on in life without remembering my past and learning from it. As I get older and leave behind those memories, and as I spend more and more time with my wife (who has been a really wonderful person, friend, lover, confidant), my past experiences get diluted by my more recent happy experiences, and I find that I'm forgetting some of the people who have been very important to me in my life. Sad or otherwise, I think those memories are very important to me. Although I don't want to be thinking of them everyday, I don't think I ever want to forget them totally. I'm very happy that I have found an anime that connects with me so totally. But now I fear that I may not like the ending. I really hope that it'll have a happy ending, as I feel that it deserves just such an ending. But what constitutes a happy ending? I don't even know. When one girl or the other will be hurt, no ending can be happy. I think it'll just be either a sad ending, or an even sadder ending, depending on how it turns out for our trio.

I really feel for Mitsuki. She has done a lot for the man she loves. I think she at least deserves to be happy. I am the sort of person who hates to see a woman cry. Because it hurts me too. But I think she has been very strong all this time, and I don't think she is spoiler[betraying Haruka in any way, although she herself might think so]. I think, if she can get that thought out of her head, it will be better for her.

Well, I don't know what else to say. It's been a rollercoaster ride these 2 days of watching KGNE. 8 episodes in 2 daily sessions, it's been kinda slow for me. But I think this series deserves all the time I can give to it.

I think that's all. Thanks for listening.
gnollman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
It's a great show. Just keep watching....
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:48 am Reply with quote
Ken, I feels ya. For me, this show was the first "shoujo" anime that I was eagerly awaiting watching every week. (I put "shoujo" in quotes because it IS based on a hentai game, after all)

While not as epically disastrous as Saikano or something like that, Kiminozo just portrays these folks living life and trying to deal with what happened to Haruka. It's so touching and so gentle and so genuine that it's hard not to get wrapped up in it.

By the way, I've got (to my knowledge) all the soundtracks to the games and anime, and there's a monologue that Mitsuki does that's just devastating. It ends with spoiler["...demo, gomen ne. Gomen ne, Haruka."] Given all that's going on it's hard to not get a little misty hearing that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nightshrill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:30 am Reply with quote
I really cannot blame you. I watched up to about episode 9 or 10; stopped for a few different reasons. One of them being it just totally made me sad and at that time I was having problems with my relationship so I couldn't even bare to watch it, even though it is quite a masterpiece from what i've seen. However recently i've been debating picking it back up from where I left off since my relationship is much better now. Every time I would watch an episode if there were no more fansubbed at the time i'd just watch something like GTO or Ranma to lighten my mood...so I think i'll be going back to KGNE soon.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:02 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
spoiler["...demo, gomen ne. Gomen ne, Haruka."]

I can't stop reading this. I keep coming back to read it, keep thinking about it. Maybe it's an hint to how the series will end. I really don't know.
tha_realist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:20 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I was satisifed with the ending but it was kind of bitter sweet. Haruka is so innocent and it was cruel how mitsuki, her best friend just stole her boyfriend like that. And she just awoken from a 3 year coma and Mitsuki's all pressuring Taka to tell her about their relationship and getting all jealous. Matter of fact I put the blame on her, if she didn't hold back Taka then the accident would of never happened. Then she go screw with Shinji just because she wasn't getting enough attention.

That's why I like the PC game, you can write your own story and conclusion. Shoot you can bang all the characters right down to Haruka, Mitsuki, Akane, the doctor and nurse, heck even right down to Ayu and Mayu. It isn't really a hentai game but more erotic romance, the PS2 version is out too]
[/spoiler]
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
I can't stop reading this. I keep coming back to read it, keep thinking about it. Maybe it's an hint to how the series will end. I really don't know.

Though my Japanese is poor to middling, I think the rest of her speech is more about what has happened and is happening rather than what will happen. She wonders what Takayuki's ring means, why he gave it to her, how Takayuki doesn't understand that she's still there while Haruka isn't. It sort of paints the picture of Mitsuki as a strong girl who knows what she wants, and I guess that makes her kind of selfish.

Conversely, Haruka's monologue from the same CD portrays her as pretty vulnerable and even a bit whiny (her VA does a good job of emoting that). It was kind of off-putting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I had just finished the last 6 episodes in one session. And it was very emotionally draining. In the last 3 days since I started watching KGNE, it has taken me through a whole range of emotions, from being sad, being shocked, being angry and pissed off with certain characters (and what they're doing), being happy, etc. I really enjoyed the series, but I don't think it's something I can watch again in the near future, because I don't think I can handle it. I'll have to take a break from this for a couple of months. Watch some light comedy, maybe watch Azumanga Daioh again or something.

I was pretty happy with the ending, how everything turned out alright, relatively speaking. spoiler[Something is bothering me, about Akane and Narumi (was something going on? Not that Narumi was aware of anything at all, he's totally clueless). I just hope the subtitling was correct, because if it is (maybe I'm just reading too much between the lines), Akane could be having having some feelings for him. Anyway, all this was just hinted at in the episode when Akane was down with the flu].

That part about spoiler[Shinji and Mitsuki making out at the hotel really tainted the series for me]. Maybe it's just me, I'm that sort of guy. But had it been with the other guy, it would have been worse. I think spoiler[Shinji really should have stopped her. I don't place the blame on Mitsuki. She was on the verge of breaking down. She wasn't thinking clearly. Shinji just took advantage of that situation. But I think, that part of the story really was a turning point of sorts for Mitsuki, and perhaps the whole story too. Because of that one incident, a lot of things happened between Mitsuki and Narumi, ending with Mitsuki telling Narumi that she didn't want to be a substitute for Haruka anymore. Then Shinji "woke" Narumi up with that fight and his pep talk. I think these two incidents were the turning points of the series that made Narumi realize that his indecisiveness was really hurting everyone].

I think Haruka was being very noble and gracious when spoiler[she finally let go of Narumi. And allowed him to follow his heart]. But throughout the whole series, I squarely place the blame for all the sadness and hurt on spoiler[(this is easy), NARUMI, whose indecisiveness and goody-two-shoes nature hurt everyone more than helping anyone. Most of all, he hurt Mitsuki, whom I think, is the single most important character in the series. Well, at least he redeemed himself somewhat at the end when he told Mitsuki that he really loved her and wanted her back. Had he put it across differently (eg, "You've done so much for me, I want to repay you"), I'd be the first to throttle him and run him to the ground].

p.s., I don't think Mitsuki was being all jealous and all that. She was doing what any girl would have done. And she has done a lot more than any girl would have been capable of. She's been so strong for so long. One final moment when she broke down and made some stupid decisions, but I don't blame her for that.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:32 am Reply with quote
Well spake, my goodman. Huzzahs to your conclusions, for they smack mightily of mine. In other words, I totally agree. Smile
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Well spake, my goodman. Huzzahs to your conclusions, for they smack mightily of mine. In other words, I totally agree. Smile

Here! Shake my hand pal.

BTW, what about that little thing I wrote about spoiler[Akane and Narumi? Was I on to something, or was I just imagining things?]
qollocust

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I had written a whole post last night, but my computer randomly reloaded the page just before I hit submit so anyhoo, I thought I'd still comment because while I loved the series, I have a different view of it compared to what everyone else has been saying.

For one thing, I really did not like Haruka, at all. I found her really annoying. spoiler[Between eps 2 and 3 I was really hoping she had died. I'm not cruel-hearted or anything, it was sad what happened and the way they portrayed Takayuki throughout that ordeal made me cry, but yea...

Also, my opnion of the whole "Takayuki going out with Mitsuki while Harka is in a comma" deal, Takayuki and Mitsuki are in a serious adult relationship and have been for almost 3 years while Haruka was just a girl he dated for a little while in high school (how long would you say? a few months before the accident?). I figure of course he should be with Mitsuki, Haruka is someone in his past that he needs to get past. ]

Maybe I'll think of more later, I haven't seen the series in awhile, but Mayu-Mayu was my favorite character!
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:54 am Reply with quote
While I strongly believe that Narumi should end up with Mitsuki, I DO NOT hate Haruka. And I believe that all the trouble started because spoiler[Narumi felt a certain responsibility to be with Haruka, despite having stronger feelings for Mitsuki]. Responsibility does not equate to love. He failed to understand that, and he dragged everyone else along for a hellish ride.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:04 am Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
BTW, what about that little thing I wrote about spoiler[Akane and Narumi? Was I on to something, or was I just imagining things?]

As tha realist pointed out in his post above spoiler[anybody and everybody is fair game in the game. That means one way or another, you can choose Akane as your girl].

As far as the anime is concerned, though spoiler[I think that Akane just had a bit of schoolgirl crush on Narumi. Either she liked him from when he was dating Haruka, or maybe she thought that she could replace Haruka, or maybe she just liked him. One of the CGs in the game shows Haruka's head transposed on Akane before flashing back, suggesting that maybe *Narumi* was the one thinking that Akane could replace Haruka. But again, since I could only grasp a few gists of the dialogue, I'm just supposing here].

Lotta spoiler tags in this thread! Very Happy
TessaTestarossa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:15 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with what qollocust wrote. Seriously I think the dude has no obligations to stay with Haruka forever.. its like.. well in this game of love nothing's fair and square. She stayed in a comma, everyone HAS to move on.

I was kinda thinking that the Akane thing was kinda due to the anime being a port from an h-game. I dunno, somehow it happens, I don't think there is too much to read in it. well, just my opinion.

Well, I watched this anime some half a year back, and yeah the memory is not that strong now. But still the I was quite "happy" with the ending, but yeah the one thing I was pissed of at the anime was the measiness and pathetic-ness of the main character. And I wonder why so many girls fall for a man that is so ... lame. The girls were great, really, they had quite admirable qualities. I thought the main character was unforgivable. Shinji.. I didn't really hold anything against him for.. doing what he did. I thought that if I was in his position I would've done the same thing. Somehow logic and erm.. impulses don't work in the same time. Lol.

A while ago I was looking for the Pc version of the game. Can't find it, and well, I can't read Japanese either. KgNE is a good anime, but well, perhaps I didn't really like it in the sense it shows how life can suck. And the main character of course.

Hmm.. I haven't posted here in a long time, but just some thoughts on KgNE Smile
manuverse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Kima ga Nozomu Eien is a pretty messed up series. Its very sad and fate is very cruel to all of the character in it. The ending is also one that will be either sad or happy depending on which of the two girls you your a fan of. For me it was a sad and somewhat cruel ending (This anime was the first every to make me want to cry). The story is very dramatic and at some points you find yourself fearing what the outcome will be and dont want to go on. However i could stop watching the series since i really had to see what was going to happen next. I did like the series alot, however, despite the fact that the ending didn't turn out the way a wished it would. Now if i could just get my hands on the Kima Ga Nozomu Eien H-Game.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2