Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Plans Sale of Major Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets to Firm Tied to Saban


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
machetecat



Joined: 06 Jan 2010
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Saban? SABAN?

The "Our pitch for the Sailor Moon franchise is to completely re-make it as a live-action cartoon hybrid of Sabrina the teenage transforms into She-Ra and friends in space" Saban???

/)___(\ Oh my GOD 4Kids PLEASE just go away now....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
yamiangie



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Saban? SABAN?

The "Our pitch for the Sailor Moon franchise is to completely re-make it as a live-action cartoon hybrid of Sabrina the teenage transforms into She-Ra and friends in space" Saban???

/)___(\ Oh my GOD 4Kids PLEASE just go away now....
I was thinking Still messing up Super Sentai SABAN. So who cares we might get dvds. I hear they are putting out even some of those other Toku shows they did.

edit this money will go to paying off what they owe right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animeking1108



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 536

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Is it any worse than 4Kids? Invisible guns, retconned death scenes, inappropriate accents, racebending that would make M. Night Sham-wow blush, and making One Piece unwatchable for the first 100 episodes?

What's the worst Saban could do? Yes, Saban Moon was shit, but they knew it was shit and cancelled it. As for Super Sentai, let's be honest. Would you even know what that franchise was without Power Rangers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagusGuardian



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
part of me is bashing my head into my desk screaming "really 4kids after all that time bitching and pissing to keep the licensing rights to yu-gi-oh you turn around and sell it" while the other part is punching holes in a wall screaming "why for the love of all things decent saban, the one company that fucked over tokusatsu in the US"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
machetecat



Joined: 06 Jan 2010
Posts: 373

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Yes, Saban Moon was shit, but they knew it was shit and cancelled it.


From what I remember they didn't cancel it. That video was their pitch for what they wanted to do with the franchise if they got the rights.

And because they couldn't afford to do the CGI needed for the transformation scenes, DiC got it instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 1194
Location: Sunny California

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that Funimation would be able to get the license (like One Piece) and release an unedited version. Oh well..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cecilthedarkknight_234



Joined: 02 Apr 2011
Posts: 3525
Location: Louisville, KY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote


I don't need to say anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
yamiangie



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking didn't live action moon never get off the ground. Anyway hasn't saban hacked up just as many shows as 4kids?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 624
Location: Ohio, United States of America

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
...Why are they doing this again? Yu-Gi-Oh! alone is more than half of the reason they're still making money anymore. They're getting rid of the only thing that even matters to them anymore. I see no point.

I'm curious about what Saban will do with the rest of the undubbed ZeXal series and what TV Tokyo thinks of this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
yamiangie



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 407

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
...Why are they doing this again? Yu-Gi-Oh! alone is more than half of the reason they're still making money anymore. They're getting rid of the only thing that even matters to them anymore. I see no point.

I'm curious about what Saban will do with the rest of the undubbed ZeXal series and what TV Tokyo thinks of this.


Likely they are being forced to sell off assets to pay off what they owe by the court. TV Tokyo likely has no say in who the license is sold second hand to here in the U.S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
4kids, after all this time, now you decide to sell the Yu-Gi-Oh license? Oh wait, this is 4kids we are talking about, so no surprise at all this doesn't really make much sense.

At least though, even though I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh, this series was given to a slightly better company. Yeah Saban did have their mishaps, but they are hardly as bad as 4kids, but then again, with the possible exception of Tokyo Pop, few companies have missed the mark as much as 4kids have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animeking1108



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 536

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Basically, the only people who oppose this are Super Sentai purists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 624
Location: Ohio, United States of America

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
...Why are they doing this again? Yu-Gi-Oh! alone is more than half of the reason they're still making money anymore. They're getting rid of the only thing that even matters to them anymore. I see no point.

I'm curious about what Saban will do with the rest of the undubbed ZeXal series and what TV Tokyo thinks of this.


Likely they are being forced to sell off assets to pay off what they owe by the court. TV Tokyo likely has no say in who the license is sold second hand to here in the U.S.


Hopefully they'll just walk into the "sunset" that consists of crappy American morning cartoons and get out of anime altogether, where they're making television shows that only leetle cheeldrens would care to watch and not care so much about who it is that's making them. (Yes, I'm looking at each of you, the production companies that air shows on the CW4Kids block.)

And TV Tokyo can still make a statement if they wanted to. As much as I'd like to hear from them over this, it isn't nearly important enough for them to say anything over it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1478
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
4kids, after all this time, now you decide to sell the Yu-Gi-Oh license? Oh wait, this is 4kids we are talking about, so no surprise at all this doesn't really make much sense.

At least though, even though I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh, this series was given to a slightly better company. Yeah Saban did have their mishaps, but they are hardly as bad as 4kids, but then again, with the possible exception of Tokyo Pop, few companies have missed the mark as much as 4kids have.


Yeah, Saban's totally better than 4Kids, they stream all of those Super Sentai shows online with Japanese audio. Imagine if 4Kids did that with Yu-Gi-Oh!...

That was sarcasm, with Saban at the helms the streams 4Kids were doing will likely end. Not only that, based on Power Rangers Samurai you'll get even worse acting, and almost all the same changes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4035

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.

If it goes to another company down the line, it'll probably be Nelvana.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group