• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron Explains Why Avatar 2/3 Will Precede Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I see the good the Avatar franchise can do in terms of keeping a world audience cognizant of our relationship with nature, but doing it in an entertainment context. Ultimately I think there's more good to be done there than with Battle Angel. Battle Angel is just a great, kick ass story.

Doesn't fill me with hope at all. In fact I think he has it reversed. I wish he had said instead:
"I see the good the Avatar franchise can do in terms of keeping a world audience entertained. Ultimately I think there's more profit to be had there than with Battle Angel. However the Avatar sequels will provide the necessary funding since Battle Angel is great, kick ass but deep, emotional, compelling story that will take several movies to tell" Very Happy

Quote:
It would have to be pried out of my cold dead fingers. But on the other hand, I don't want to take it to my grave either. [We want to see it] at some point, yeah."

... uh, huh, yeah at some point Mad
Kyon27

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
And you are too cowardly to present an opinion.

That's going to get the random insult of the day award.

Quote:
The film didn't tell anyone to do anything.

The film isn't like Sesame Street. It's not going to spell out the message for you. It sort of wants to make the viewer enjoy the story and hopefully think about messages it was trying to convey.

--hint-- Bad things happen when you kill blue aliens and chop down god-trees isn't the message.

Yeah, right. And next you're going to tell me Unobtanium isn't real. Well tell me, Mr. Smartypants, what have I been panning for in this stream for the past year?
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
wow, thought i might as well try to get insulted by superninja, so here goes:

one reason why i thought avatar was nothing more than impressing effects is the fact that it constructs a narrative of superiority prescribed to the technically advanced and supposedly more civilized white who is the only reason the tender and beautiful "savages" stand a chance against their oppressors. without his help they would have been snacked off pandora in a heartbeat. so, good thing that whitey mc white is there to save the day. and although there may be people of non-caucasian origin in the occupying forces in avatar they are not essential to this story.
the result is a clear cultural hierarchy: while the blue dudes-and-dudettes' culture may be curious and interesting they are still somewhat inferior to the more advanced human civilization. now think for a minute about what real-life example could found that works similar.

and- although i didn't want to- i'm just gonna throw this one out: pocahontas.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
All I got from this thread is that people are seriously butthurt about Avatar and Cameron.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
All I got from this thread is that people are seriously butthurt about Avatar and Cameron.

Yep, they are. I am just glad he is still making SciFi movies still.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Battle Angel will be as good as were hoping in hands of Cameron. I don't care how much CGI you put into a project, if the writing isn't up to what original material...there no point.

He making major money from Avatar series, more power to him. Avatar is light weight story line for masses, not hard core science fiction fans.

I'm agree Battle Angel will likely be for few who still REMEMBER the manga.

I'm more exciting about Last Order sequel for Battle Angel, it better storyline than the original in my opinon. I don't think I'm missing anything from a Cameron re-do of original manga story.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
Translation: "Battle Angels isn't being made. Now stop asking me nerds. I'm gonna make money money money shilling a movie that will be shown in overpriced 3D. C.R.E.A.M."

Side bar: I don't bemoan him for wanting to go with the apparently more money making venture, that's why we go into business right?

However James, it's clear that Battle Angel isn't very high up on your priorites list as you've been sitting on it since 2003, and especially not after you have to direct the sequels to your overrated piece of success Avatar. So James, I'm speaking as a guy you've never met before here, maybe it's time to give it up, just let someone else have it and call it a day.

Then again, it took him 15 years to crank out Avatar, so maybe technology hasn't caught up to what he has planned for Battle Angel yet, maybe he's waiting for somebody to invent something, so he can use it and call it something different, and act like he came up with it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
We'll just remember Battle Angel like Dark Angel; kinda apropos since Fox just broadcasted its 20th Anniversary special last night by celebrating its notable franchises. (Kinda forgot Dark Angel was on Fox. Laughing )

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Yes, I'm bitter, but it isn't because Battle Angel has been delayed. Something about Avatar pisses me off and has from the start.

Probably because the hype was unbearable, and the movie itself isn't all that amazing once you get through it.

We should be used to it from anime by now. Laughing

Still, everything has their fans. Even the most wretched anime will have their fans. How many times have fans said that much of the best-selling anime every season are otaku crap? But obviously they sell because they have their fans.

TopGunman wrote:
Why so many people liked it? Mostly teens wowed by special effects and 3D, almost everyone who saw it (and liked it) said the story is nothing special, so I'm not out of line or overly opinionated by saying it was a waste of time.

We should really ask the rest of the world since they supplied over $2 billion of the receipts, even just by themselves already making Avatar the highest grossing movie of all-time, without needing America's help. Still, we shouldn't bemoan financial successes like this or One Piece or Aniplex.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
And the fact that Avatar will definitely make a bajillion dollars and Battle Angel likely will not probably was a bit of a factor in that decision too.

First post of the thread and it has hit the nail on the head.

And besides, James Cameron is too busy buying up tracts of New Zealand farmland and exploring the ocean to bother with a making a difficult and expensive adaptation of a little-known work. The man's not stupid, even if he is the one responsible for the script of Avatar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4