• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gender-Bending Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I am a HUGE fan of gender-bending manga. Manga where a boy turns into a girl, not the cross-dressing type so much. My favorite is, of course, Ranma 1/2. I was wondering if you could recomend some others. Other criteria are that the transformation be a major part of the plot, AKA that it does not happen in just one chapter or story arc, like it is in sailor stars. The transformation does NOT have to be temporary, however. It can be pretty much permanant throughout the entire series. One final thing is that it CANNOT be a hentai, though it can be for mature audiences. Iwould also appreciate it if you could name the demographic for the title.

Last edited by animalia555 on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golgo13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, you might want to seek out Cinderella Boy. Its from the creators of Lupin about two detectives, Ranma and Rella (Keep in mind this was made BEFORE Ranma 1\2 came around). The two detectives get into a car crash and Ranma awakens to discover the crash was a week ago and Rella is dead. But at the stoke of midnight, Ranma becomes Rella, both personality and body. Thus, at midnight the next night, Rella becomes Ranma. It's pretty interesting and not quite as echii as you might think. Ranma and Rella are more determined to solve crimes than figure out why each one of them misses a day. It is funny to how they adjust to each new situation.
che_guevara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Pretty Face is pretty good. I've only read the first volume, scanlated, and it was pretty decent.

There' also Futaba-kun Change. It's released in the US by ICE, one of the lesser known manga publishers.

There's also the ultra-popular manhwa, "kill me, kiss me", which isn't really gender-bending, more like cross-dressing.

That's all that comes to mind. I'll probably remember some more later.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Pretty face is an interesting one. I read the first volume, and its pretty fun. Basically your steriotypical tough guy gets in a crash, and his face is ruined. Because the only picture in his pocket is of his secret crush, the doctor rebuilds his face to look like her. Apparently she had a long lost twin, so he goes to live with her. It usually revolves around him trying to keep from being discovered.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Another is Your and My Secret (ADV) which is really just an experiment gone wrong.

Cheeky Angel (Viz) also, which is where a boy is turned into a beautiful girl by a stupid genie.

Even though it is cross-dressing, Hana-Kimi and Girl Got Game are excellent gender-bender series that if you really do love the genre as you say you do...definitely check them out.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:18 am Reply with quote
Les Bijoux is Korean--the lead is a guy (Lapis) who changes into a girl (Lazuli) who is desired by the nobleman (Diamond) who killed Lapis's parents & she seems to love Diamond while Lapis wants him dead.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading/learning Japanese with a manga called hokago hokenshitsu by Setona (Xday) Mizushiro. The main character is a hermarodite, raised and living male, who is going through a series of "vision quests" at an unsual school to resolve his/her sexuality. It has a very dramantic, Haibane Renmei like take on the subject.

All the best,

Nani?
ZakeruThunder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Guilty Gear has a manga, but... BRIDGET!!!! I still can't belive that's a male...
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this counts, but Angel Sanctuary main character Setsuna(a guy) is a female angel who has taken a human form to better enjoy life. The angel's name is Alexial and the human form is Setsuna. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Akemi
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:38 am Reply with quote
Not too sure how "transformed" the character was (The ending left alot of questions..... Shocked ), but Paradise Kiss might be up your alley as well.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, W-Juliet, coming out from Viz is a cross-dressing gender-bender. It's shoujo, but the gender lines in it are insane.

Fushigi Yuugi Genbu features a character that transforms from female to male on a fairly regular basis. That's another shoujo.

Yuu Watase's Mint de Kiss Me is about a girl who switches bodies with a boy from her class and accidentally tells a teacher that she likes him while in the boy's body. It's shoujo.

Eerie Queerie(Ghost!) is about a boy frequently posessed by ghosts of the opposite gender. It's shounen-ai.
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I know, pretty old thread.
I just wanted to add Chirality, which I'm reading right now. One of the main characters, Carol, is a hermaphrodite. Normally she's a woman (also when she's hurt and needs to regenerate), but when she has to fight she turns into a man (in order to have more strength).
It's a yurimanga BTW.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Angel Sanctuary has it on and off with the main character, a guy, being the reincarnate of a female angel. There's times where he's her for a while, and then there's long breaks.
smutchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
And I've just read the newest epsiode of Jibun-Jishin, where a boy tries to make his classe-mates believe that he's a girl (he dresses like a girl).
Yuki Fenikkusu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Kampfer- little naughty Smile but alright
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2