• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Wizards & Warriors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that Magic Knight Rayearth wasn't mentioned. I thought that was the main fantasy adventure mahou shojo series in the 90s.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
90s fantasy anime is what got me into the medium years ago, when I was a little tweenager who loved the Prydain Chronicles and Redwall. It was easy to go from fantasy novels to series like Rayearth, Slayers and Dragon Knights. That whole "fantasy adventure" aesthetic from the 90s is sooo cheesy, but I still have a huge soft spot for it and I'm kind of sad that nothing really looks like that anymore.

And hey, does anybody remember Rune Soldier from the early 00s? (Or Louie the Rune Soldier, depending on what medium you're using.) That was another one of Ryo Mizuno's really weird Lodoss spinoffs-- it was a kind of cute-girl-comedy take on the story, sort of paving the way for what Mizuno would later try to do with Galaxy Angel. I never thought the series was very interesting, but it's been on my mind lately ever since it was included in the crossover game Heroes Phantasia... why would they use Rune Soldier instead of one of the main Lodoss storylines?

The one big unlicensed fantasy property that comes to my mind is Violinist of Hameln. People always used to recommend it to me, but it never came out over here! I don't know if I'd be able to stomach it now...

Anyway, this is a lovely article and excellent topic!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Slayers is one of my favorites, I own every season, all the OVAs and all the movies. We can debate sub vs dub until the Mayan Apocalypse, but there is no excuse to ever watch Slayers dubbed. Hayashibara Megumi's role as Lina is one of the single best VA performances ever.
No excuse? Not even, "I've already seen all of the series subbed, so I want some variety for a rewatch"?

Even more farcical than Slayers is 1999's Gokudo, which features a completely morally bankrupt protagonist, excessive mind/body switching, and parodies of Western and Eastern folktales alike.

Other magic/technology mixes from the late 90s and early 00s include the jRPG adaptations Arc the Lad and Star Ocean EX, the low-budget/uneven Maze: The Megaburst Space, and the relentlessly odd Eden's Bowy.

Myaow wrote:
And hey, does anybody remember Rune Soldier from the early 00s?
Did you... read the article? Because Toole definitely remembers it. I'd say it's a good example of what ADV's dub studios could accomplish back in the days when they had somewhat decent budgets, no Japanese names to stumble over, and a silly enough show to allow for significant comedic rewrites. "Anyone who resists will be labeled an enemy combatant and detained indefinitely without trial."
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Myaow wrote:
And hey, does anybody remember Rune Soldier from the early 00s?
Did you... read the article? Because Toole definitely remembers it. I'd say it's a good example of what ADV's dub studios could accomplish back in the days when they had somewhat decent budgets, no Japanese names to stumble over, and a silly enough show to allow for significant comedic rewrites. "Anyone who resists will be labeled an enemy combatant and detained indefinitely without trial."

Gah, how embarrassing! My eye totally skipped over that whole paragraph. Sorry! Good point about the dub, though; I watched the series in English and to this day I still associate Jason Douglas first and foremost with Louie. :>
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Utawarerumono was quite a nice lost gem. Very underrated fantasy anime. as others said, Tower of Druaga was also pretty good.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Good Witch of the West is now one of my all time faves, but Tokyopop couldn't even finish the manga it was based off before going under. DVD release here is never going to happen with how many years it has been out now.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
And then there's:

Oprhen/Oprhen's Revenge
Ruin Explorers
Those Who Hunt Elves
Sorcerer Hunters
Princess Minerva
Ellcia

All good s & s/fantasy shows in my book.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Deltora Quest! I read all the books as a kid!
prabb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
How big is the overlap between SA Forums users and ANN staff? I know Daryl posts over there for sure but I sometimes see forums emotes and avatar pictures being used in features/columns. (eg: facepalm picard)

Guin Saga set off mine & my husband's furry alarms, too. It's really not that bad. It's basically D&D with a strong dude in an animal's body. If you dig tabletop fantasy at all I'd suggest giving it the three episode test.

Sorcerer Hunters left a bad taste in my mouth. Probably all the TITS and LEATHER and TITS. Kind of felt like a bargain bin Slayers. First OP is hilarious, though so everyone should give that a listen. (WHAT'S UP?!)

(Anime is dead to me until we get a Game of Thrones adaptation straight from Japan with character designs based on the HBO series--bonus points for moe Tyrion. "A Lannister always pays his desu~")
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've seen a ton of fantasy anime, but of the ones I've seen, I'd have to say Slayers and Scrapped Princess were two of the most enjoyable. Slayers I do have to take in small doses though, because like any show with a lot of comedic elements, the jokes start to get stale if I see too many in one sitting.

Also Mike, I was at the Anime Hell panel at Anime Boston, and I was wondering. Where can I find that video with the forklift driver? That was insanely hilarious and I'd like to watch it again, but I don't even know where I'd begin to start searching.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
How about Elf Princess Rane; I've never seen it, but I've read about and think it might fit in.

I understand that it, like Dragon Half, was cut short, although in both cases, I wonder if more episodes would have just amounted to overstaying its welcome.

Sailor S wrote:
Also Mike, I was at the Anime Hell panel at Anime Boston, and I was wondering. Where can I find that video with the forklift driver? That was insanely hilarious and I'd like to watch it again, but I don't even know where I'd begin to start searching.

I have never seen Anime Hell, but I believe that you are looking for Staplerfahrer Klaus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes! That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
prabb wrote:
Guin Saga set off mine & my husband's furry alarms, too. It's really not that bad. It's basically D&D with a strong dude in an animal's body.

Do you mean alarm as in "Yuck, furries!" or do you mean that in a positive light?

Quote:
wizard-y names like Positivulus Wandwaver and Dragonimo Incantatiousesque

Are you kidding, Mike? Those are even't remotely wizard-y. =/

As an avid reader of fantasy novels since my youngest days, I'm always on the hunt for great fantasy anime. However, for some reason, I seem to end up finding the erotic stuff, like too much emphasis on elf boobs (though to be fair, I know fantasy is a common ground for erotica). Record of Lodoss War, Escaflowne, Twelve Kingdoms and Guin Saga are all excellent recommendations. If you want goofball comedy in your fantasy world, Sorcerer Hunters, Those Who Hunt Elves and Super Demon Hero Wataru (though the last one is very rare now, so finding it might be a tad difficult) might be more up your alley. Violinist of Hameln is also great, though I recommend the anime more because it's darker and more serious than the original out of control goofy manga. El Hazard is a slightly more pleasant take on being "transported to other worlds" fantasy.

Anime adaptation ones I could recommend are the Tales series (except for Eternia, which was flat out stupid). Shining Tears x Wind's not too bad either, especially if you have played both games (Wind's lack of release in the U.S. shouldn't stop you because Tears' characters are more central than Wind's). Blue Dragon can go either way for you, since it largely diverges from the game.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Personally I found the Record of Lodoss War OVA to be fairly boring since Kasshu was the only character to actually stand out. I found the cast of the tv series (which used characters from the second D and D campaign) to be more interesting, plus the thief was hot.

My favorite fantasy series are Magical Knights Rayearth (manga as I never saw the anime), Fairy Tail, and Slayers.

Mike, you also made a mistake, Slayers Gorgeous is the 4th movie, Slayers Great is the third movie (though both are great films because of the interaction between Naga and Lina and inventive plots)
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
My first anime not aired on TV in the United States was Lodoss TV. Such a soft spot for that series, and it was what sparked anime into a wonderfully money-draining hobby. lol

Also loved the hell out of Scrapped Princess.

Still need to get around to a lot of the other ones. Slayers has been sitting on my shelf for years just waiting for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4